5w40 Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done some research about oil distributors in my area. It turns out all of the following oils can be had for the same price, ~$5/qt. Some require a 6 gallon case purchase others require just a 6qt case purchase. It doesn't really matter to me as it will be used whether in my Neon or in my fiances Grand Cherokee.

Chevron Delo 5w40 - $5.06/qt when purchasing 6 gallons
Pennzoil Platnum Euro 5w40 - $5.16/qt when purchasing 6 qts
Mobil Delvac 1 - $5.04/qt when purchasing 6 gallons
Quaker State 5w40 - $5.16/qt when purchasing 6 qts.
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck - $5.64/qt when purchasing 6 qts

Then there is the Rotella 5w40 that is available at Walmart for ~$17/gallon, $4.25/qt.

Of these options I don't see the M1 TDT as being an option just because Delvac is cheaper and either the same or better than the TDT. All of these oils meet at least SL spec which is what my applications require.

The cost is similar enough for all of these that the price difference is null.

I have been thinking I would get the PP 5w40 for my Neon to try first as I have been happy with the PP 5w30, but I wanted to try a thicker oil to quiet the engine down some and offer good protection. I am planning on a UOA after my 5000 mile run of PP 5w30 and the a UOA on a 5000 mile run on the 5w40 that I pick.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee currently has Rotella 5w40 in it and it seems to like it. I wanted to get a UOA on it regardless of what kind of oil was used as the vehicle was purchased just a few thousand miles ago.

In the end I will probably use the same oil in both vehicles.

So I guess the main question is...

Which of these oils would you use?

Right on the Mobil website on the FAQ and Myths answer page it is plainly stated that Delvac 1 5w-40 and M1 TDT 5w-40 are the exact same thing. some thing that was known around here a couple of years before the statement was printed.
All of the oils that you list are good and most are overkill IMO for those vehicles.

Go with the Rotella. You already have a good track record with their product. Plus, its the best priced product from a list of great oils.

banana.gif

You missed the big BOGOF Adv Auto deal on Synpower.

Here is a receipe for 5w40:

5 quarts Maxlife Synthetic 5w30 and one pint VSOT (Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment). The Max Syn is 11.7 cSt and the VSOT will boost it about 2 to 2.5 cST for a nice 14 cSt 5w40. Bonus is all the goodies that come in VSOT.

Elf Excellium NF 5w-40, meets ACEA A3/B4, API SL, VW 502.00/505.00, BMW LL98, GM LLB025, and Porsche specs.
About $30 for a 5ltr bottle ($6 per liter), not a bad deal. Running it in my Subaru right now with a PurePower steel-mesh filter (I love being a guinea pig), 191K miles on the odo now.

Then there is the Mobil1 Diesel 5w-40, ~$25 for 4 qts ($6.25/qt) in the jug bottle at Wally World.

Did you find out if TDT was cheaper if you bought 4cases/6 gallons?

You are getting some outstanding pricing, imo, for a drop in customer that doesn't have an ongoing account. A few years ago ..I inquired about D1 at the local Mobil distributor and got a price of $29/gallon if they could even sell it to me without having an account. Translation: Why in the world are you calling us, small fry ...people we deal with don't ask price ..they just order.

The PZ rep was much more accommodating. He would have been happy to sell me a 55 gallon drum at the price he sold it to my pal in the trade.

The only was that this place sells the TDT is in 6 quart cubes. I was a little diappointed by that. I figured that since TDT is normally cheaper than D1 that it would be between $4 and $4.5/qt and then it would have been SOLD.

Seemed like very nice people at this place. REIT Lubricants for anyone else in the area. They are located on Sylmar Rd in Rising Sun, MD. But I've seen the address as being in Nottingham, PA. They had no problem with me buying only one case at a time. The place that had the PP and the QS 5w40 is in Baltimore, MD and is called Lubes Plus. THe guy I spoke with seemed nice as well. He said that they normally only sell wholesale but they have sold to individuals and wouldn't have a problem with that.

Thanks to the others for recommendations. I should also say that I am looking for Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme, but Valvoline hasn't emailed me back yet on locations to buy it in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back