5w20 too thin for high speed drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi would like you guys' opinions.
Planning on a trip and will be taking the highway. I intend to travel at an average speed of 150-160 km/h and regularly hitting up to 190+ km/h.
But my OCI is up and I have 5 quarts of Schaeffer 7000 semi-syn. Mobil 10w30 presently in the engine. Is this oil too thin for this kind of regularly full throttle driving? If it is, I figured the Shell Helix Ultra 10w40 at the dealer will have to do?
Btw it is a KIA 2.0 litre naturally aspirated engine(same as the I4 used in Hyundai Sonata).

I don't see any problem with 5W20. The UOA's for 5w20 are very good. If dino 5w20 bothers you put in a synthetic. I run PP in my Ford Duratec and it is driven hard. Burns zero in 7500 miles.

Well at or near top speed I think it wasn't at redline, more like 4000-5000rpm. Typically less than 1 min, then it's half throttle, then full again and so on.

I think that the OCI may need to be shortened ..just like an engine spec'd for 5w-30 is when towing is involved. They don't change the visc spec ..just the duration of service that it sees. You'll be peaking oil temps intermittently ..but I can't see them getting out of control with what you describe.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What is oil temperature?

DINGDINGDING! This would be my biggest question, too. The higher the oil temp, the higher the viscosity grade in order to meeting the correct operating temperature viscosity.

Originally Posted By: caravan
Hi would like you guys' opinions.
Planning on a trip and will be taking the highway. I intend to travel at an average speed of 150-160 km/h and regularly hitting up to 190+ km/h.
But my OCI is up and I have 5 quarts of Schaeffer 7000 semi-syn. Mobil 10w30 presently in the engine. Is this oil too thin for this kind of regularly full throttle driving? If it is, I figured the Shell Helix Ultra 10w40 at the dealer will have to do?
Btw it is a KIA 2.0 litre naturally aspirated engine(same as the I4 used in Hyundai Sonata).

You need not worry with the Schaeffer 7000 in the pan. Drive it like you stole it.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Caravan,

Thats really not that high speed

Easy for you to say. I'll get Dr. Haas to slap you down ..

"165 mph isn't really that high speed"

grin2.gif

114 mph (190 kph) is high speed in 99% of the rolling populations handbook. Only a supercar owner could consider it "not that high speed". Hence the need for Dr. Haas to take it to a whole new dimension of high speed definition for the ultra exotic supercar challenged.
grin2.gif

In the common commuter's lexicon, high speed would probably be sustained speeds of 90 (MPH!) or more. Your oil temp will agree when compared to the commonality of 70 mph.

I would run the thicker oil, a 10w30, if you are going to run it that hard, 100 mph isnt hard or fast on some cars made for it, A Kia is not, its made to be a cheap, affordable transportation, not a hi-proformance, hi speed car. Tell you the truth, I dont want to ever go that fast in a Kia.

Originally Posted By: bruce381
Hey gary jeep blow up yet?
grin2.gif

bruce

Both jeeps are alive and well on Bruceblend® 0w oils. Not a peep out of either. Superb oil pressures and measurable reductions in parasitic loses (shh-it's the secret green FM polymer that is a Bruceblend® exclusive ingredient). Can't wait to see the UOA of my wife's (boring) 65-70mph commute 52.x mile per day commute.

Got any 3.x basestocks available? I'm wondering if something in the higher 4.x after additives might be something to try.
grin2.gif

Proud user of Bruceblend® 0w oils.
Oils of the future
Oils of today

I got an idea, how about you just drop a gear or two and just pretend you're driving like a lunatic. C'mon man, there's kids out there on the road, keep the high speeds on the track. I hope you're doing the autobahn, if not give us the date and time to make sure our families aren't out when you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back