5W-40 in a Nissan Maxima VQ35 oil burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The usage may be do to varnished / stuck oil control rings. So some more agreeesive cleaning and a stable higher viscosity would help. The New GF-5 Pennzoil HM 5w-30 (bronze bottle) is working great in my wifes subaru that was eating oil. Consumption went UP in the first 2k miles after the OC to the HM, then stopped entirely! Fantastic!

Hey bohip, what's with you and your cars all using 1qt every 1K? It just seems like a trend
crazy2.gif

If you go to the Nissan/Infiniti enthusiast sites, the majority of the VQ engined cars that use oil are manual transmissions - like more than 90%. In the G35 the MT cars made slightly higher horsepower (maybe).

Some big difference between MT and AT cars is 7,000 RPM high vacuum, closed throttle situations. An automatic will shift when you let off the gas. Also the MT cars get revved higher during normal driving due to the short gearing and close ratio gears. The MT cars also have lower final drive ratio and spin faster on the highway. The higher power MT cars develop their horsepower at higher RPM than the auto counterparts. People that drive them on the track tend to buy manuals and drive them harder.

Additionally it appears that on these cars a lot of the consumption is through the PCV system.

Last edited:
Well, tonight I put in Rotella T6 5W-40. We'll see how it does with this. I don't have high hopes though as even with regular Pennzoil 10W-40, it would burn as much as 3/4 quart every 1k miles. I know some of you are asking why even bother running synthetic at all in this engine. A good question. I want the extra protection of synthetic, especially during the winter. I just hate the thought of having a thick, regular 10W-40 in all winter. My hope (I know it's a LONG shot) is that the T6 will reduce oil consumption as well as giving me better cold start protection during the winter. If not, I'm just going to switch back to a decent regular 5W-30 oil and buy in bulk.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
If you go to the Nissan/Infiniti enthusiast sites, the majority of the VQ engined cars that use oil are manual transmissions - like more than 90%. In the G35 the MT cars made slightly higher horsepower (maybe).

Some big difference between MT and AT cars is 7,000 RPM high vacuum, closed throttle situations. An automatic will shift when you let off the gas. Also the MT cars get revved higher during normal driving due to the short gearing and close ratio gears. The MT cars also have lower final drive ratio and spin faster on the highway. The higher power MT cars develop their horsepower at higher RPM than the auto counterparts. People that drive them on the track tend to buy manuals and drive them harder.

Additionally it appears that on these cars a lot of the consumption is through the PCV system.

One thing I did notice on a 2k mile highway trip is my oil consumption dropped to nothing while on the highway. At 80mph, my engine is only spinning at around 2,500rpms. IOW, my findings back up what you said.

Originally Posted By: ItsuMitsubishi
Hey bohip, what's with you and your cars all using 1qt every 1K? It just seems like a trend
crazy2.gif

I think you're referring to my sister's Mazda RX-8. The rotaries are known for using oil and in the owner's manual it even states the engine will definitely use oil.

My wife's car is also a Nissan Maxima. It's an old '91 that uses the VG30E V6. I run synthetic in that one (PP 5W-30) and it doesn't burn a drop between 5k mile oci's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back