5w-20 Oil Consumption - Newer Mazdas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my mom & sister have 2010 Mazdas - one is a 5 and the other a 3. The 3 has 21,000 miles on it already and in a 10K OCI with Mobil 1 5w-20 it has used 2 quarts. Same with my mom's 5. Are others seeing this with these thin weight oils & longer intervals?

Friend's 2010 Mazda 3 burned 0 oil between 3,000 mile oil changes with Castrol 5w-20.

I'd say stick with that weight but change brands, I had an 07 mazda6 (same motor, really) and i didn't use a drop of 0w-30 or 0w-20 amsoil, or 5w-20 motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: 944CS
Both my mom & sister have 2010 Mazdas - one is a 5 and the other a 3. The 3 has 21,000 miles on it already and in a 10K OCI with Mobil 1 5w-20 it has used 2 quarts. Same with my mom's 5. Are others seeing this with these thin weight oils & longer intervals?

Not normal ,but not much you can do. Mazda will tell you its normal. You just got a "b" grade engine. Burning a quart every 5000 miles on a new motor is not normal.
It is not unusual either.
I have seen several motors like this and quite a few self destruct with under 30000 miles. If she runs it out of oil would the warranty cover it under "normal " circumstances.
I would have her complain to mazda so the car is covered unless it is a lease. Then just let the dealer have their car back.

Daughters' 06 mazda3 w/2.0L burns no oil in ~5K mile OCI's on dino 5W20 or 5W30. Could be the Mobil 1, could be the 10K mile OCI or both together!

Try changing brands of oil as already mentioned. A qt of oil every 5K miles isn't terrible. Honestly bringing it back to the dealer is going to get you nowhere, since they are going to tell you it is normal oil consumption.

I agree to change oil brands. When did Mazda change from the recomended OCI from 5K or 7.5K to a 10K interval? If I was using a full quart at ~ 5K miles that is when I would change it. In addition; I would inspect for leaks just in case. Ed

Both Duratechs(pretty much the same engines that your Mazdas have)have never used any oil at all with 10K OCIs on M1 5-20 or 0-20AFE.

My 07 fit is currently on a lowly diet of yellow bottle 5W20 or green bottle 5W20, no consumption during 7kkms OCI (or when my OLM drops down to approx 20%).

Q.

My wife has a 2010 Mazda 6 2.5L. Oil has been changed at 2.5K, 5K, and 10K with PYB, PP, and PP respectively. Current mileage is 11K. No oil consumption to date. I plan to run 5K OCIs which will equate to about every 8 to 9 months and have been using Bosch filters. I will monitor consumption and might even try a UOA just for kicks. Will report back anything interesting. Thanks.

For what it's worth, I would suggest running the Motorcraft syn blend for a 5K interval to see if it still burns off a quart. I've never owned a car (including a V8 Mercury Cougar with 165K miles) that's burned oil, so it seems unusal to me.

I probably wouldn't exceed the 7500 mile interval that Mazda recommends for normal driving conditions.

How much of their driving is high speed highway use?
If most of their driving is this, then I would consider the consumption normal.

If they are truly concerned (I wouldn't be), then they should take the car to a private mechanic (not a Mazda dealer), and have them run a compression test and a leak down test to see if the specs are in the normal range.

BC.

You are voiding your warranty by going over 7500 miles. With the oil consumption you need to drop your OCI from 10000 Miles to 5000-7500 miles.

My 2001 Mazda with 100,000+ miles on it uses no oil
wink.gif
Then again, i use dino 10w30 and change it every 3,000 miles.

I would tend to agree with others. If a 10K OCI is using 2 quarts i'd lower that to 5K for a while and see what happens.

5k a quart is nothing, hardly qualifies as oil consumption in my book.

If she was doing 3k mile changes she wouldn't notice it. The only reason people are noticing that engines burn a small amount of oil are because of the longer OCI's that most cars call for.

That is excessive for a mazda but not impossible. My 2006 2.3L goes 12k OCIs w/ zero consumption according to the dipstick and I have used MC 5w20, RP 5w20, PP 5w20 and PU 5w20.

The good thing is with consumption you can safely extend the OCIs if you top up properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back