5W-20 in a 2013 Mustang GT? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The new Boss 302 Mustangs take 5W50, but they also have a different pan, no oil squirters, and a larger cooler. We have a customer that insist we use 5W50 on his 2012 GT because he tracks it. He already shot a rod through the valley and 2 out the pan when he went from 2nd to 1st gear at WOT instead of 2nd to 3rd gear.

5W-50 can not prevent operator error.
49.gif

+1...synthetic or otherwise...

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

It's fine for normal driving, but these 5.0s see crazy high oil temps quickly at high rpm. I'm not going to throw any names or numbers around (I'll save that until I can provide a screen shot), but I can guarantee a lot of people here would call [censored] on the oil temps a 5.0 sees during a dyno thrashing. I will just say I now fully understand why Ford went with 5W-50 (WITH an oil cooler) on the Boss and why the GT Track Package now comes with an oil cooler.

Throw some numbers, please? My N55 sees 260F doing highway cruising with a little throttle, and returning high MPG numbers. I dont know what it does running hard on a track, but Ill bet it is a good deal higher. This is on ACEA A3, BMW LL-01 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
But I wouldn't use super thin oil in...a truck that was hauling but that's just me

Why? Define hauling...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Sump size and cooler! If the oil temp is under 190F the oil will be as thick as a 30 grade at 210F in your vintage 302. Ford accounted for the 20 with the big sump and cooler. My Mustang Bullitt ran like garbage on 5w30 after my first oil change dumping the 5w20. The Lincoln dealer Derry, NH didnt have any 5w20 at the time - and neither did the local autoparts store. The engin ewas dead silent on the 20. If its noisey on the 20 then you got a bad engine. Now, Asin motors spec'ing 20grade on cars "really" spec for 40 in europe are an issue - even with you sloth like, generally Terrible American driver. Yeah, you
smile.gif

So you say a 20 is like a 30, but your car "Ran like garbage" on the 30?
Ok...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Seriously! I would run a good syn like M1 for this though...

So would I, MC filter or Pure1 with M1 5-20!

Originally Posted By: jaj
The 5w-20 works very well in that engine. Here's an article about the engine design - it was built for 5w-20 from the beginning.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techart...ne/viewall.html

It would seem that Ford spent a fantastic amount of time into R&D regarding oil and oil performance. From the article (bolded and red text is mine):

Consideration was given to an external oil cooler, but ultimately it was decided not to penalize all Coyote buyers for the occasional antics of a miniscule fraction of owners. Oil temperature rises precipitously when the Coyote is revved more than 4,500 rpm for extended periods, and then an external oil-to-air cooler is vital. But those conditions can only be reached on a road-racing track, so the expensive cooler was ditched and engine management strategies were used to protect the engine during hot idles. However, the mounting area for the cooler was "protected" during the 2011 Mustang's development. That makes it easier for the open-trackers among us to fit a cooler (highly recommended by Coyote engine designers), and tells you something about Ford's intentions for special editions of the Coyote-powered Mustangs.

And don't worry about the occasional open-track without an oil cooler. The engineers say the oil cools quickly as soon as you take your foot out of it, and the engine management will limit the torque output if the oil gets too hot.

OP...it would seem that 5W-20 is fine for your intended use.

I would try using a synthetic 5W20 such as PP, PU, M1, M1EP etc , do analysis at 7,000-8,000 and then adjust from there.

If the owner's manual specifies 5w20 for the conditions that you'll be driving, then use 5w20. Occasionally going through the gears on the street or making 6 passes at the drag strip on grudge night is not a problem. It's good to exercise the equipment occasionally.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: jaj
The 5w-20 works very well in that engine. Here's an article about the engine design - it was built for 5w-20 from the beginning.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techart...ne/viewall.html

It would seem that Ford spent a fantastic amount of time into R&D regarding oil and oil performance. From the article (bolded and red text is mine):

Consideration was given to an external oil cooler, but ultimately it was decided not to penalize all Coyote buyers for the occasional antics of a miniscule fraction of owners. Oil temperature rises precipitously when the Coyote is revved more than 4,500 rpm for extended periods, and then an external oil-to-air cooler is vital. But those conditions can only be reached on a road-racing track, so the expensive cooler was ditched and engine management strategies were used to protect the engine during hot idles. However, the mounting area for the cooler was "protected" during the 2011 Mustang's development. That makes it easier for the open-trackers among us to fit a cooler (highly recommended by Coyote engine designers), and tells you something about Ford's intentions for special editions of the Coyote-powered Mustangs.

And don't worry about the occasional open-track without an oil cooler. The engineers say the oil cools quickly as soon as you take your foot out of it, and the engine management will limit the torque output if the oil gets too hot.

OP...it would seem that 5W-20 is fine for your intended use.

Sweet! that answers that. Id use some mobil 1 syn 5w20 or even some syn motorcraft. Just change it at the rec intervals. Get uoa's done if you want but i think these cars if used and maintained properly will be just fine unless there is a factory defect but in that case oil wont help much. Nice ride. hook up some pics. Im starting to like ford more and more. Used to be a chevy guy But ford is really stepping up their game.

I don't have any pics except this one that was taken with my phone.... just before driving it away from the dealer.

Does anyone but me think that the front rotors are rather large?
GT.jpg

Last edited:
The only way it keeps going is this. The 5.0 coyote in the GT is a high performance engine even thought the engineers that designed the engine have stated that the use of API SN/ISLAC GF-5 5W-20 was a design requirement and then engine was designed to accommodate the use of such oil. "Feelings" will be involved so this will not be adequate for some owners I do not base my lubricating choices on feelings completely but others do and that is their prerogative. Now some owners will modify their engines and a normal 5W-20 just will not cut the mustard and then a different course of action should be followed.

Originally Posted By: kballowe

Uh-oh, talk like that can lead to track days! Then you will need to add that oil cooler.

I think as well if thats what your getting at is in stock form the 5w20 will be just fine but throw on a few bolt ons or a supercharger and the oil requirement will change.

I think any syn mobil 1 product in the proper weight will be perfect. If i had that car thats what i would do.

I dont think your rotors are too big i think your wheels are too small. 2" more rin would fill in some space and make that rotor look smaller. Now that I look at it more it does look kinda funny around the wheels. Nice car though.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Uh-oh, talk like that can lead to track days! Then you will need to add that oil cooler.

I dunno. I've never replaced a set of brakes on any of my vehicles before 150k. But, I've worn out eleven horns.

;-)

I was going to say that the rear rotors look quite small!

I like large front rotors. Whatever size the wheel is, I think the brakes are "small" if there's more than 1/4" of clearance between the caliper and rim.

{Not many people know this, but the real reason I do track days is that my secret passion is doing brake jobs. If I don't do at least 4 per year, I feel deprived.}

I think Ford has it figured out, and I'd use the 5W20 w/o hesitation or giving it any second thoughts. Its been several years that Ford has been spec'ing that oil, along with other grades of oil in some of their engines. If they thought it needed 5W30 or something thicker, like some of their other engines they'd have spec'd it.

lol.gif
Seriously,drive the thing!Rotors are fine! 5w20 is fine!
Man,we've got a few of these new mustangs running at the track on 5w20,running 10's 11's and 12 second quarter mile times,alot faster then what most people will drive these cars,with no issues,now go out and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back