500,000 KM (300,000 Miles) and using what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I know that oils of today are better than yesterday, and I have read some of the pretty impressive UOA's but I just can't make that step down to conventional oils. My truck is running so great on Amsoil Synthetic, and I swear that it feels more responsive and smoother.

Trust me I could go for a cheaper oil change... But way too scared. Then their is the whole I gotta crawl under the truck more often then I do now with the synthetic...

So many things to consider... oohhhh....
smirk2.gif

As I wrote in the other thread about dino's & the economy:

@ the end of the day, I see no reason to use anything but dino for the average driver unless the following applies:

1) Extreme temps
2) > 5k OCI
3) Towing/extreme short hops

& with #3 - I think you can use dino really with shorter OCI.
And occasional UOA to confirm any personal assumptions.

Am I missing any other assumptions?

ps - I wonder if took care of what we put into our bodies as much as what we put into our cars here - would we be better off? LOL!

Otherwise, do what makes you happy esp if you can afford to.
This is almost like the HDTV debate of 720 vs 1080.

Last edited:
As stated above, "ps - I wonder if took care of what we put into our bodies as much as what we put into our cars here - would we be better off? LOL!"

Any one think we should start a health forum within this community. Without a different website? One you could access through here. We are almost like family here since we talk almost every day/every other day. There should be a health forum so that we can live longer and be around longer so that we can talk more...LOL and change more oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve20
Jon
That would be the 350 Chevy LT1 in the Roadmaster?
Steve

No. The LT1 started in '93. Mine is a good old small block 350.
It doesn't like cold starts (below 6F this morn, but I didn't start it!) but I've got a frost plug heater now and that helps a ton. The first 15 seconds don't sound too good - I'm not sure if I've very recently developed and exhaust header crack or what, but it's gone in 15 seconds (30 if REAL COLD) and sounds pretty harsh. Once warmed up a bit, she's a good runner.

On a recent trip of about 750 miles round trip, I got 22 mpg on the way there and 24 on the way back. Not bad!

Too bad the left side frame rail is rusting out too bad to tow with it anymore. It's more that beefy enough for anything else, even light towing, but more than a few thousand pounds I think not.

It's not subtle, or pretty, or all that efficient, but it's paid for. It's a heck of a lot more efficient than a new Dodge Ram (not that I'd buy dodge, but I'm just sayin'.)

One thing I'd like to say is that, IMO, the only reason my car has this many miles on it is at least partially due to Terry Dyson - an oil analysis I did on the car a few years ago (before I sold it which is, of course, before I bought it back) found an antifreeze leak. My dad (retired mechanic) did the intake for me and yep, found a leak and repaired it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back