50,000Km Carquest (Wix) filter - 2003 Sunfire 2.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
My buddy brought me over this filter tonight. It is off his dad's 2003 Pontiac Sunfire w/2.2L, he ran this oil (conventional) for over a year, accruing 50,000Km.

Oil was changed with PC 0w30 and Quakerstate (Purolator) filter.

I'm putting the oil in a glass jar, may send it off to be analysed if enough people are curious enough
wink.gif
It came out in gooey globs, and there was a big chunk of sludge on the drain bolt. And when the filter is draining, it is coming out in globs too!
Some initial pics:

50KOCI02.JPG

50KOCI01.JPG

wow, is that rust on the filter? That's kind of crazy......then again, 1 yr is a long time for a filter.....

But, then again, with newer car manufacturers specing "12 month/8k" OCIs.......mmmmm, 1 year may become about the "norm" - looks like they may have to rethink their oil filter coating....

Then again, sitting for a year, not driven, in a yard, vs. hard, accelerating, driven every day, for a year; is 2 totally different things
smile.gif

that's nasty. How do people live with themselves treating their cars like this? I mean jeeze you can change the oil with SuperTech oil and filters for probably around $12, which would be way better than this kind of abuse.

Funny I see this thread.
I have a friend with sunfire, 2.2 engine.. She is hard up for money and keeps putting off maintenance.
Last time I was in her car the oil change sticker was for 173,000KM, she had over 195,000 on the car. It was just done at a quick lube. Your thread gives me hope for her poor car.

You will have sludge even with syn oil with 31k miles OCI. I like to see the filter cut open, it should be clogged with a thick layer of debris.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EricF
that filter was a Wix.. after a year of abuse.. I'm sure the bypass spring was locked in place!

Correct. As I noted in the title of the thread. It was replaced with a Purolator.

Are you going to cut this filter open? I would love to see a filter with ~31K miles on it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: EricF
that filter was a Wix.. after a year of abuse.. I'm sure the bypass spring was locked in place!

Correct. As I noted in the title of the thread. It was replaced with a Purolator.

Is there anything about the bypass spring that makes it harder to remove the filter media when cutting open an oil filter's canister?

This...just...hurts to look at. Reminds me of a vehicle I used to be around, was going to take over maint. until I saw that the oil on the dipstick was not just black, it was a thick brown. I decided I wasn't going to touch this thing and be the "guy who broke it" when somehing inevitably gave out.

I'm puzzled as well why someone would ignore such a critical, and dirt cheap maintenance item. I guess they just don't know any better.

That's why I track the mileage and time on my Mom's car, it's in great shape and stays that way largely because I do all the maintenance on it and I do it on time with good quality supplies. When I was given my old Tercel as a hand-me-down first car, there was no oil to be seen on the dipstick and what drained out looked a little like this stuff. I'm not letting that happen to anyone's car that I care about again.

Looks like the OP did the same, and finally took matters into his own hands.

Do that UOA bud, please! That will really be interesting.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I mean jeeze you can change the oil with SuperTech oil and filters for probably around $12, which would be way better than this kind of abuse.

+1 on that. But some people just don't care or don't know how to care, IDK which.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Wow. Nasty. How was the engine running prior to the OC and then after?

My friend told me it was ticking and making some noise. He asked his dad when the last time he changed the oil was. He said he didn't know. My friend looked it up, was absolutely flabbergast by how many miles were on the oil, so he called me immediately saying he needed oil. I hooked him up with some PC 0w30 for it, and he picked up a filter for it from Canadian Tire.

He said it was running much smoother and quieter with the new oil in it. And he's going to be watching the mileage on it now, since he knows his dad won't.

This whole thing started when we were discussing what oil he should run in his Focus, and if we were staying with TDT/D1 with his Mustang this year. That got him thinking about oils and filters for a few minutes and the question as to when the last time the oil was changed in his dad's Sunfire came to mind. Because he had no idea.

I'll have some more pics of it in a bit.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Is there anything about the bypass spring that makes it harder to remove the filter media when cutting open an oil filter's canister?

No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back