5 days and 1300 miles in a 2014 Jetta SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: gregk24
There is an update out that programs the t/c to stay locked when at a stop. This resolves that clunk you get when leaving a stop, however the 1-2 shift and 2-1 shift still isn't the smoothest. Seems to be normal for this transmission. Good little car otherwise though.

How can the torque converter be locked while the vehicle is stopped? Serious question, I don't know what is special about this auto transmission that would allow that.

Maybe not "locked", I probably said it wrong. One way or the other there is no power going to the transmission when the car stops, I am not sure if it reduces line pressure or what, but there is no power. As soon as you let off the brake you will feel a small jolt and then there is power again. If you quickly let off the brake then mash on the gas you will get a real jolt, and its not refined at all. I noticed this right away in the 2014 Jetta, this was not noticeable at all in the 2013 that she had before (was totaled). So something changed when they introduced the 1.8T in 2014. Anyway at the first service they did an update and that lurch has gone away.

^The DSG in my 2004 VW Beetle TDI does that too, same as the 2013 TDI Beetle. These ones with the DSG have a tiny bit of power if you lightly let off the brake, but like 90% no power. It does the same engaging once you let off the brake and push the gas pedal.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
There is an update out that programs the t/c to stay locked when at a stop. This resolves that clunk you get when leaving a stop, however the 1-2 shift and 2-1 shift still isn't the smoothest. Seems to be normal for this transmission. Good little car otherwise though.

How can the torque converter be locked while the vehicle is stopped? Serious question, I don't know what is special about this auto transmission that would allow that.

It isn't locked. The transmission disengages itself (neutral) when sitting with your foot off the brake. Once you start lifting up on the brake, it engages drive again.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Can you imagine the awesome lean companies and products we'd enjoy if companies were allowed to fail?

Heh, if you think so. IN reality companies failing just means the remaining companies get bigger to fill the gap left by the ones that went out of business.

Yep....

Originally Posted By: wn1998

I also averaged 37.7 mpg with 95% interstate driving with my cruise control set at about 80mph.

I'm impressed by some the mpg numbers from these newer cars. Our Focus doing the same would probably average 27-28. Don't drive enough to justify upgrading though.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

I also averaged 37.7 mpg with 95% interstate driving with my cruise control set at about 80mph.

I'm impressed by some the mpg numbers from these newer cars. Our Focus doing the same would probably average 27-28. Don't drive enough to justify upgrading though.

I purchased my 2014 Jetta TSI (1,8L Turbo) used with 16k on the clock for only $15,200 out the door. I feel like I got a lot of car for a very good price. I love it! Great MPG (up to 40 mpg in the city if you feather the pedal) lots of low end torque in the motor and a huge power band with the turbo. The best part is it takes regular and not premium fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

Which engine do you have? I was running at about those speeds this weekend and was getting 35MPG doing so, with snow tires. In my 2011 Focus. It has the Duratec. I believe the only engines for 02 were Zetec and SPI.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im sure V.W. will still be around although their quality is not good at all

Compared to what?

I enjoy driving the GF's 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI. Its a torquey little package and it has decent handling also...all the while getting great gas mileage. However I too have doubts about long term reliability. It has a possible oil leak, I noticed the coolant was low, there is an odd whirring sound when coming to a stop at low speeds, the screen in the instrument cluster has gone out a couple times, door handles stick sometimes, transmission absolutely slams for no reason at times, now the drivers door lock makes a high pitched squeaking sounds when locking. It only has 13K miles. I can attribute most of these to VW "quirks", but it just makes me wonder how it will be when it hits 100K. I joke with her that I'll trade it in for a Honda, but in reality they already have poor resale value, and with the VW scandal resale is even worse even for the gas engine models. So we will probably just keep it for the long haul.

That pretty much confirmed my suspicions about how new VWs are reliability wise. But the truth is, those are some potentially serious problems. As a Honda/Acura owner, these things are important and we would never stand for so much trouble early on.

Most of the newer VW's are enjoyable vehicles to drive daily. From what I see with friends and coworkers though, it seems the more bells and whistles = the more nagging issues with VW. Even some of their turbo engines seem to have issues from people I know.

A co workers 2009 VW Tiguan has been in and out of the shop more times than I can count. I do truly believe a lot of problems come from owners not keeping up with a lot of regular maintenance.

The base Golfs with the 2.5L 5cyl do seem very reliable though. Thats the only vehicle I got rid of that I wish I held on to for much longer.

It is not premium but I have found using "mid" grade or 89 octane netted me an extra few mpg. I tried one tank of premium (93) and got less mpg that with regular(87). I have been using mid grade since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back