.45 Colt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Does anyone have any definitive reloading data for the .45 Colt to be used in a Lever Action Win. Mod 94?

I have the Hogdon Reloading data for the Pistol rounds.

I will be reloading 180 grain to 325 grain bullets.

Thanks in advance, Mola.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Does anyone have any definitive reloading data for the .45 Colt to be used in a Lever Action Win. Mod 94?

SWEET gun!....love the colt .45 rifles! I have a Henry in .45 Colt too.

I found some reloading data online and I have narrowed it down to Alliant 2400 and Winchester 296.

Nosler says the 2400 produced the best accuracy in their tests, but what I have on hand is 296 and for +P loads, should be about right.

In the relative burn rate charts, 296 is slightly slower burning than 2400.

Besides, the 296 is what I use for my .357 Magnum loads.

Last edited:
Years ago when I was a kid, someone sold my dad some really hot (fast) pistol powder when he asked for powder for reloading shotgun shells. We used (well tried to use) those reloads to shoot some skeet to improve our duck hunting skills. I had never heard a shotgun sound so much like a high power rifle. The action on one of our semi-autos got damaged, and we had to scrap all those reloads. Just plain lucky the gun did not blow up.

So hot pistol powder in a long barrel is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Quote:
Years ago when I was a kid, someone sold my dad some really hot (fast) pistol powder when he asked for powder for reloading shotgun shells. We used (well tried to use) those reloads to shoot some skeet to improve our duck hunting skills. I had never heard a shotgun sound so much like a high power rifle.

Wrong type of powder, wrong amount of powder, for wrong application; like using gear lube in an engine or using too much ZDDP in a formulation.

If you examine page 13 of the Hodgdon Reloading manual:

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Hodgdon Basic Manual.pdf

you will see 296 is about 50th fastest (out of 117) in the chart of powder burning rates.

Slower burning powders are used for large rifle calibers and magnum rifle loads, not pistol loads.

The .45 Colt IS a pistol round.

To improve performance in rifles chambered for Pistol cartridges, you want to hot rod the round for better accuracy and range, within the constraints of the rifle's modern steels and components.

I know about Internal and External Ballistics as I was one of those who wrote many of the early ballistics programs on the first personal computer, the ZX-81.

Last edited:
A google search will find lots of reloading information. One place in particular to check out is leverguns.com. IIRC 296 is the stablemate of H-110. These are stout pistol powders for the hairiest of handloads. I load for a .357 carbine, and although I can't run a chrono, the "recoil gage" on my shoulder says "Yowza-glad I'm not you!" when I shoot one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back