32 bit vs 64 bit Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently retrieved a computer I lent to my niece and want to set it up to dual boot XP and Ubuntu. It has a single core 64 bit AMD processor and 2 gigs of ram. The XP OS is 32 bit. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using 64 bit Ubuntu? Will 32 bit Ubuntu address more memory than 32 bit XP, which, I believe is limited to 4 gigs?

64-bit Ubuntu is going to have a little more overhead but will be able to address more RAM, so unless you're running a higher-end processor and four gigs or more, I wouldn't bother with it. There's no benefit in your case, and it'll probably run slower. Stick with 32-bit.

The 4 gig RAM usable limit on XP is a 32-bit OS issue, not just a Windows issue. 32-bit Linux can't use it, either.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
go with the 64 bit version, it will be slightly faster and will give you the flexibility to install more than 4 gigs of ram

Running on identical low-end hardware like the OP's, how would a 64-bit OS run faster and not slower?

I have run Linux for years and have the 64 bit version on my Laptop with 3 gigs of Ram and on my Netbook.

My Netbook has One Gig of Ram and an Atom 455 processor which supports 64 bit. Think the first Atom that did was the 450?

On the Netbook Linux uses slightly more Ram but I have never had anything go to the Swap file.

I normally run Google Chrome and Thunderbird at the same time and sometimes other stuff.

I don't think you will really see any difference between them as far as use goes.

64 bit operating systems will move larger data packets, all else being equal a 64 bit os is always faster than a 32 bit

Maybe on paper, but in my experience, running Windows 7 on an old single-core machine and 2 gigs of RAM, the 32 bit version always ran faster than the 64. Was it night and day? No, but it was noticeable. Linux may be different but I don't see how.

64 bit OSes love RAM, so why install one on a machine that doesn't have that much? I won't even bother unless it has at least 4 gigs. The 64 bit version won't do anything more for the thread starter anyway except make him want to put more RAM in it. 2 gigs is plenty for 32 bit Ubuntu.

Depends on the hardware, I've got units that can only address 1.7 or so GB out of 6GB in 32bit windows. The addresses may be limited to 4GB but some motherboard and chipsets use a lot of address space for internal communications and such.

If your current setup can address all the memory you put in and you are not planning to upgrade, there is really no benefit to go 64bit.

Last edited:
64 bit operating systems will move larger data packets, all else being equal a 64 bit os is always faster than a 32 bit

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100330132143AAvZOg2

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5709

I don't think it is correct in theory. The memory bandwidth is hardware specific and if you are running the same 32bit program you will not see any significant advantage even if there is no overhead in 64bit OS.

If you also upgrade from 32bit software to 64bit (i.e. photoshop or software tool chain, those who use A LOT of memory and runs for a long time like an hour at a time), then 64bit may help.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
64 bit OSes love RAM, so why install one on a machine that doesn't have that much? I won't even bother unless it has at least 4 gigs. The 64 bit version won't do anything more for the thread starter anyway except make him want to put more RAM in it. 2 gigs is plenty for 32 bit Ubuntu.

I'm running 64 bit Ubuntu with 2 gigs. I've got Firefox running now, with about 8 tabs, and a shell open, along with the usual background processes. 609.5 megabytes used, zero swap used. I just started OpenOffice.org and it bumped me up to a whole 632.7 megabytes.

32 bit linux pae kernel can address more than 4Gb RAM, in fact in can address 64Gb. Individual processes cannot use more than 4Gb.

This is available in the Ubuntu repositories.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit

Ubuntu website used to recommend 32-bit for desktop use since add ons such as flash, nvidia drivers etc were much more well supported on the 32bit edition. I still use the 32bit edition as my primary machine; it has 4Gb.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I installed the 32 bit version and after a small amount of head scratching every thing is Cadillacing. I even got the wireless working with no drama. 11.10 rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back