305 Chevy....performance parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: QuadDriver

cuz sometimes its what you got. A factory new 260hp 350 is about $1500-$1600 from GM. You can get a factory 305 there or more for less. A lot less. As I said, I got a dyno verified 306hp for about $400 and my time.

Yeah, but you can get a rebuilt 2 bolt main 350 for significantly less. Once you budget "X" amount of money, it is often cheaper to put the money into a 350/355 and call it a day. If I was going to stay with a 305 I would have to be severely budget constrained, or live in a state with a Draconian emissions check that actually checks block numbers (even then I would find a way around it without too much of a problem).

I don't have a problem with a 305, I am just not going to throw significant money at it to improve performance. A few cheap bolt ons, maybe.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I had a 305 in a Malibu.
Low compression and soft cams really hurt.
If you want power , a decent cam is a must. but without upping the compression, you won't get a lot out of it.
A thinner head gasket won't cut it - you need to shave the heads or get new ones.

That link given by mechanicx ^^is a very good start.

If this is the stock H-motor in that 92 then its already higher compression by at least half a point over your 'bu. The addition of the KS allowed pretty radicaly ign timing profiles in the ECM - I have seen them go over 40* that year range. the L34 heads (with the smaller chambers for the 305) will let him get to 9.4 IIRC. As it is, he likely has the -187 (-189) swirl port heads. not the best by far, but if it aint gonna see 5Krpm - more than enuf.

the TB unit is smaller than the one for the 350 and since it is a speed density system its pretty hard to remap without a tuner - but not impossible. the farther we get away from 1995 (last year for it) the harder it will be to find the tuners and software. If you research via google, there are some guys who still have new fuel maps you can get and reflash a prom from...

Im happy with a second gear scratch, a little rumble...not trying to achieve 11 sec. 1/4's here.....

Back in my racing days a few guys had decient running 305's. Porting, Cam, headers etc.

Originally Posted By: lifeson2112
OKay lets say I go buy one of those Edelbrock carbs from AutoZone, and want to bolt it on. Would I use the same fuel delivery system? Or are we talking total fuel pump/line remival replacement?
I have one of those carbs. It's junk. It spent 8 hrs on a dyno getting metering rods and jets changed only to leak fuel out over night so that my truck won't start and the jetting is still off. If you want it you can have it! Come get the piece of junk!

Holley is the only way to go IMO.

Long ago,I worked with a guy that had an early 80's 305 Camaro. He yanked out the AIR injection, catalytic converter, added headers, cam, and an Edelbrock carburetor with an open air filter element. He also had the TH700 replaced with what he called a "Racing" TH350 that was set up to bark the tires at like 2500 rpm. I called it the "Irresponsible Street Hammer".
He said it had Dart Iron Eagle heads but I couldn't tell.

My stock Turbo 1 '86 Dodge Shelby Daytona would still walk away from it with the boost needle wiggling around in the red somewhere around 8 or 9 psi (based on the last number on the gauge, a 7.) The Mustang guys would really tear into him.

Im happy with a second gear scratch, a little rumble...not trying to achieve 11 sec. 1/4's here.....

Well if the engines not coming out, and you're not expecting huge power, then one of the easiest ways to go would be with an Edelbrock power package. They have a kit for your 92 truck with the 305 that would include cam, heads, intake and headers. I installed one of these kits on a carbureted small block a long time ago for someone and it worked well, nice power bump.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/power_package/performer_power_packages.shtml

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
2. IIRC, '92 should be roller. If not, convert it with link-bar lifters. Comp XE or Magnum series roller cam, the XR264HR looks nice and mild, but much livelier than stock.

Don't believe they are roller lifters. Would be a good mod.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Back in my racing days a few guys had decient running 305's. Porting, Cam, headers etc.

OKay lets say I go buy one of those Edelbrock carbs from AutoZone, and want to bolt it on. Would I use the same fuel delivery system? Or are we talking total fuel pump/line remival replacement?
I have one of those carbs. It's junk. It spent 8 hrs on a dyno getting metering rods and jets changed only to leak fuel out over night so that my truck won't start and the jetting is still off. If you want it you can have it! Come get the piece of junk!

Holley is the only way to go IMO.

Not trying to start a Carter/Holley war (I like both...) but that experience is NOT the norm for an Edelbrock (aka Carter) AVS or AFB. Both my last two were very nearly bolt-on and run, just minor tweaking of metering rods and springs. If you're losing fuel overnight, you got a flawed casting. Get it exchanged!

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Long ago,I worked with a guy that had an early 80's 305 Camaro. He yanked out the AIR injection, catalytic converter, added headers, cam, and an Edelbrock carburetor with an open air filter element. He also had the TH700 replaced with what he called a "Racing" TH350 that was set up to bark the tires at like 2500 rpm. I called it the "Irresponsible Street Hammer".
He said it had Dart Iron Eagle heads but I couldn't tell.

My stock Turbo 1 '86 Dodge Shelby Daytona would still walk away from it with the boost needle wiggling around in the red somewhere around 8 or 9 psi (based on the last number on the gauge, a 7.) The Mustang guys would really tear into him.

my 84 laser xe turbo had the digital dash,so it had the power limited light instead of the guage.it came on once.

For cheap how about a 75hp shot of NOS?
grin.gif

For starters go to fullsizechevy.com, performance section, TBI, and read about Ultimate TBI mods. Cheap mods that will improve power and sometimes economy. But I would also warn you to not wrap up too much money in the 305. I'd save up and do a 350 swap. It would be a night and day difference and would have a new motor not a worn out 305 that you just throw money and parts at......
21.gif

BTW, I love these trucks...

ETA: What gears and 2wd or 4wd?

Last edited:
86 Shellby...you say....I tell you what, s;ealing of Dodge 4cyls...The fastest car I have EVER ridden in was a 1990 Dodge Daytona Turbo 4cyl. Ive been in the passenger seat of some fast movers, 454's w/dual carbs, high rise intake, big block this and small block that, but that 90' Daytona, oh Jesus H. Krist....I know what you mean Spazdog. Tha sum-bich would just be getting OUT of second gear right at 60 MPH. Those little Dodge's are some of the fastest domestic production cars ever built in modern times, even NOW.

BUt yeah....I kinda know where Im headed now. Thanks for the replies. Im thinking I MAY...and this a MAYBE, pull the 305 out, seein's how it has 149,000 miles on it already, and I might find a lower mileage 350 to work with. But I have found way better knowledge on here than in any local parts store. Thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back