2OO1 Accord hypermiling report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove my wife's 4 cyl, 5 speed Accord on a 5OO mile road trip today and got some amazing mileage. OW 2O penz ultra, new Honda MTF, 39 psi in the tires, a tailwind, and drafting semis, I got 42.7! Best previous was 36. It has 21OK pretty much trouble free miles on it. Original rear brakes, suspension, and clutch. The clutch has handled two teenager learning to drive a stick and a female driver. She learned well though, and is a pretty darn good driver.

Last edited:
It is fatiguing having to pay such close attention to following distance, and having to be more aware of traffic in the other lanes in case a sudden lane change is needed. It makes normal driving seem pretty relaxing.

It's shown you don't have to travel unsafe distance behind the semi to reap rewards. Slowing down itself is great and you only need to creep up within 2 lane marker distance to show an increase in engine vacuum.

My favorite are greyhound buses. they go in the fast lane at 80mph and you get 60mph type of fuel use!

I wouldn't stay less than 10 seconds behind semi or bus to save few dollars in fuel. The potential for accident is too high and the damage cause by debris sprayed from those big tires can be costly.

39psi is a little high for my liking in the tires. But, if it calls for 35 normally that's fine. My CR-V wants 29 (I do 33).

That's incredible mileage. Never got that even in my Civic.

Nice.

Without hypermiling, I get 45 MPG driving my Saturn 70 MPH!

Prius, what a waste of money to buy and waste of gas.
lol.gif

This is the time of year for mileage records. "Anything goes" gas, no AC, thinner spring air, less traffic.

If you're walking along the shoulder and an 18 wheeler passes, you get the "big draft" but the air is still disturbed for many seconds afterwards. If your car holds the road well in cross breezes the standard two second following rule will still save you fuel drafting a large truck.

It is 5W 2O Ultra, I got confused because I topped off with a quart of OW 2O platinum. My following distance was about 5 car lengths. One trucker didn't seem to like it, he swerved onto the shoulder throwing debris to get me off his tail. Why don't truckers like a car following with a close interval? It isn't quite tailgating. The wind and warmer weather were pretty ideal. I wonder if Missouri and Illinois are still winter gas. Summer gas should do even better shouldn't it? The speeds were usually just under 7O.

It was surprising how light the throttle application was. At times I was just barely touching it. I could feel the difference when I was out of the slipsstream.

I think the whole idea is lame given elevated risk.

A trucker does not want to be associated with any accident their fault or not.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
It is 5W 2O Ultra, I got confused because I topped off with a quart of OW 2O platinum.

PU 5W-20 is not the idea oil choice for hypermiling since it is a mid-grade 20wt oil; has a HTHS vis of 2.7cP.
PP 0W-20 is better because it's lighter for two reasons; it's HTHS is lower at 2.6cP and it has a higher VI of 175 vs only 158 for PU. What this means is that even at room temperature (on start-up) it is 13% lighter (less oil drag).

The optimum oil choice for hypermiling would have to be one of the so called ultra low viscosity, high VI 0W-20 oils from Toyota, Honda, ENEOS and CAM II. At room temperature these oils are as much as 30% lighter than PU 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back