294k KM on 2006 TDI (BEW)... some lifter damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I traded in my 2006 Jetta TDI last year with well over 100k on the ticker. Save normal maintenance items coupled with a bad DMF, I had absolutely no problems with the car.

My stance on oil regarding this car was largely formed by interacting with other BRM owners on Freds TDI forum. The cam/wear problems were a common talking point with these engines. Regarding oil, the following seemed to be the consensus:

1 - The most common element among cam failures seemed to be the use of a 5W-30 oil, even if it was 505.01 certified.

2 - Few problems were reported with 505.01 oils if they were of the 5W-40 variety.

3 - Many if not most people ultimately switched to a HD 5W-40 diesel oil that was not necessarily 505.01 compliant, specifically Rotella T6, Mobil 1 TDT, and Mobil 1 Delvac 1.

My personal experience - right after warranty was out, I switched to Mobil 1 TDT. I put over 100k hard miles on that car with that oil, and by the time I let go of it it was still getting 44ish MPG and was pulling as hard as the day I bought it.

FWIW...

Originally Posted By: NewYorkBuck
I traded in my 2006 Jetta TDI last year with well over 100k on the ticker. Save normal maintenance items coupled with a bad DMF, I had absolutely no problems with the car.

My stance on oil regarding this car was largely formed by interacting with other BRM owners on Freds TDI forum. The cam/wear problems were a common talking point with these engines. Regarding oil, the following seemed to be the consensus:

1 - The most common element among cam failures seemed to be the use of a 5W-30 oil, even if it was 505.01 certified.

2 - Few problems were reported with 505.01 oils if they were of the 5W-40 variety.

3 - Many if not most people ultimately switched to a HD 5W-40 diesel oil that was not necessarily 505.01 compliant, specifically Rotella T6, Mobil 1 TDT, and Mobil 1 Delvac 1.

My personal experience - right after warranty was out, I switched to Mobil 1 TDT. I put over 100k hard miles on that car with that oil, and by the time I let go of it it was still getting 44ish MPG and was pulling as hard as the day I bought it.

FWIW...
100k miles is nothing, and unless you pulled the valve cover off and inspected it, pulling hard and good mpg means nothing.

I just sold my 2004 TDI Beetle last month, original owner was my aunt and it had 176k when I sold it. It too "pulled hard" like brand new and ran fantastic with great mpg, but I pulled the valve cover and the cam was toast.

Time for that hunk of junk to go.

VW's and broken cams seem to go hand in hand.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Some on TDIClub have speculated that CJ-4 synthetics such as M1 TDT work better than the 505.01 in PD engines...

I know lots of TDI PD owners switched to CJ-4 oils, specifically 5w40 oils such as TDT or Rosella T6. I don't know as if they are better, but the reports are that they are at least as good. The CJ-4 rated oils seem to be more robust than the VAG 505.01 rated oils.

I think its quite safe to say that hdeo of the ci+4, cj type
are more robust than the passcar oils even if they carry a vw501 sign. Many poeple have had great succses with these oils in hard cammed v8´s, vw pumpdyse engines etc.
And since they are way cheaper its a no brainer to me..
i would use hdeo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back