257,000 mi of Valvoline conventional 5k OCI (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I wholeheartedly agree that synthetic is the way to go, a member here named KCJeep posted some pics of his friend's Cherokee that has seen religious 4-5k OCIs using PYB, and that thing was spotless! So yes a good dino can and will keep your engine clean, but since dino and syn are so close in price, why not go for syn?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Who buys their oil at Wal-Mart and then goes to Autozone and buys a filter?

I do because Autozone has the real ACDelco filter. Walmart has the e-core.

You're getting soft Hootbro, of all the things you could've criticized me for, you chose the filter purchase.
grin.gif

Haha I do this too :^) I go to Walmart to by my jug of oil,then drive across the street to O'Reilly to buy my Wix filter.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Haha I do this too :^) I go to Walmart to by my jug of oil,then drive across the street to O'Reilly to buy my Wix filter.

For the times I've bought oil at Walmart and Canadian Tire, I haven't bought my filters there either.

Also if the person drives a lot of short trips over a long period of time to reach their OCI, they will be much better served with a 5k conventional application than a 10k synthetic.

It looks great but lets face it if the OP engine runs okay then what is there to do?
Realistically there is no point in trying to clean it and possibly cause leaks/oil usage, the same may occur moving to a synthetic oil at this point.

Does it look as good as yours? No but it doesn't look bad either, its not sludged and the varnish present doesn't seem to causing any running problems.
I say button it up and keep going.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Who buys their oil at Wal-Mart and then goes to Autozone and buys a filter?

I do because Autozone has the real ACDelco filter. Walmart has the e-core.

You're getting soft Hootbro, of all the things you could've criticized me for, you chose the filter purchase.
grin.gif

I have been purchasing my oil from Wal-Mart and driving down the street to O'Reilly's for the Wix filter as well. How is that a bad choice Hootbro?

Seems in every price comparison, dino @ full retail is always matched up with sale/rebate syn prices. Was not aware that dino is prohibited from ever being a value.

I mention this as I prepare for my $1.50/qt syn blend OC.

Quote:

Wow! This is not what I asked for.

lol.

Originally Posted By: T-Stick
Also if the person drives a lot of short trips over a long period of time to reach their OCI, they will be much better served with a 5k conventional application than a 10k synthetic.

Why? Synthetic protects better, and it's right there price wise with conventional. Why not have the best protection no matter how your vehicle reaches it's oci?

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18

Why? Synthetic protects better, and it's right there price wise with conventional. Why not have the best protection no matter how your vehicle reaches it's oci?

Because some folks will argue to the end that varnish and coking is not only OK for their engine, but will but seem to prefer it.

Originally Posted By: JMHC
Why the [censored] are so many people obsessed over a little varnish? It does not hurt anything!

Because it can and will cause some parts to malfunction in some engines.
In an engine with no hydraulic components and valves to control the flow of oil pressure to some components it may well be a cosmetic stain but you cant use that broad a brush.

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18

It only protects better if the coventional is protecting insuffciently and that cannot be shown. A theoretical benefit with no practical result is just theoretical. The price of top tier synthetic is usually close to double conventional when equally comparing regular prices and sales. If synthetic for a standard application in a 5k OCI makes you "feel" better than use it but don't assume you are getting more protection in a typical application.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: JMHC
Why the [censored] are so many people obsessed over a little varnish? It does not hurt anything!

Because it can and will cause some parts to malfunction in some engines.
In an engine with no hydraulic components and valves to control the flow of oil pressure to some components it may well be a cosmetic stain but you cant use that broad a brush.

It seems pretty evident that for the vehicle in question we are talking about a cosmetic stain. Again I note by using the same logic we could assume that PU will provide upt to 25% better longevity than M1 because it will stay up to 25% cleaner ... because after any varnish could be bad.

No we couldn't assume anything but you can assume whatever you want.
First why don't you read what Pennzoil says.
Quote:
Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards1. Additionally, keep pistons up to 25% cleaner that Mobil 1, up to 35% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®, and up to 40% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE with SYNTEC®2

Where does it say 25% less varnish?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It doesn't mention engines lasting 25% longer either

Thats my point exactly ... because it would be ludicrous to make such a conclusion ... yet that is the logic being applied here that somehow there would be benefit if the little bit of varnish was gone that is showing in the photo of this engine ...

Originally Posted By: Trav
No we couldn't assume anything but you can assume whatever you want.
First why don't you read what Pennzoil says.
Quote:
Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards1. Additionally, keep pistons up to 25% cleaner that Mobil 1, up to 35% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®, and up to 40% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE with SYNTEC®2

Where does it say 25% less varnish?

Cleaner equals cleaner including varnish or any other contaminant. I'm not arguing that 25% cleaner equals 25% more longevity. Pennzoil knows better than that--but the logic being used here by the pro-syn guys infers that cleaner would have produced a mechanical benefit. I'm saying thats as illogical as stating that because Pennzoil keeps an engine 25% cleaner than M1 that this is somehow mechanical benefit to using Pennzoil over M1. If being minimally cleaner cannot be proven to have a mechanical benefit, then minimally cleaner has no benefit other than theoretical. I'm sure you can follow the parallel if you want to ...

Some people here assume if this engine had less varnish that somehow there would be benefit to the longevity of this engine which I am saying is as illogical as if we concluded that if we use Pennzoil we could get 25% more longevity from 25% more cleanliness.

Pennzoil knows the only thing they can really say is cleaner is cleaner. Thats exactly what I'm saying less varnish on this engine would only mean its cleaner but it does not mean there would be any mechanical benefit or payback to the owner.

After nearly 40 years of using conventional oil (mostly Valvoline and Quaker State) with no problems i have no reason to use synthetic oils..just saying.
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back