255/45R18 opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
@kr
The DWS06 has a 5-0k warranty; the Falken Ziex ZE950 has a 45k warranty.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

I ran a set of Ecsta 4X IIs on the back of my Cadillac, I took them off around half way for spares. After that first 40% was gone they got noisy. Never really liked them, seemed to ding my MPG a little too.

How many miles did it take you to wear the first 40% ?

About 13,000.

A 255/45R18 103 tire will have the same load capacity as a 255/45R18 99 up to 36psi.
The Standard 99 load index has a maximum load of 1709lbs @ 36psi.
The Reinforced 103 load index has a maximum load of 1929lbs @ 42psi and 1709lbs @ 36psi.
Its just an extension of the standard load allowing more pressure (and more weight). This is irregardless of the maximum air pressure allowed on the sidewall since that could be 51psi for both tires.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
You do not need 103Y except you always put the maximum tyre pressure on the current tyre. VW already put the right pressure guide for all types of tyre, in this case if you buy 99 load index tyre, you just need to increase the pressure a bit.

Tyre wear is more compound related, so if you do not want high tyre wear look for tyre with high UTGQ rating and typically grand touring tyre will last longer compared to max performance tyre. In the US the tyre with >50k miles tread warranty is good tyre that resists wear.

V8TirePressures.jpg

Looking at that chart, the only size for which the 99 load rating is specified is a 17" size. In 255/45/18, the only specified load rating is 103.

So, if that chart is what you're supposed to go by, and if 255/45/18 is the size, then the 103 load rating seems like a must-have, regardless of tire pressures.

@kr

I ran a set of Ecsta 4X IIs on the back of my Cadillac, I took them off around half way for spares. After that first 40% was gone they got noisy. Never really liked them, seemed to ding my MPG a little too.

About 13,000.

It is possible the rear wear off fast on the center if you overinflated and the car does not carry much load. Just stick to the 4psi pressure increase rule of thumb to prevent the tyre under inflated when you want to find balance between comfort and tyre wear/safety.
It seems Dws06 and ze950 both are good choice all around

I still long for the good old days when a set of tires lasts 50K miles.

I have a set of ultra high performance 18's on my Lexus, and I cannot tell you how many sets I've had on it.

I got cheap and had 2 sets of Goodyear GT's on it. They were fine to start with, but only lasted about 20K miles. I then switched to Kumho's best and latest, and they performed about the same.

I finally spent the extra $ and put Michelins on the car. They're performing much better, and they're not wearing nearly as fast. I'm hopeful I'll see 40K miles on them.

My tire dealer says none of the ultra higher performance tires get many miles on them.

@kr

About 13,000.

It is possible the rear wear off fast on the center if you overinflated and the car does not carry much load. Just stick to the 4psi pressure increase rule of thumb to prevent the tyre under inflated when you want to find balance between comfort and tyre wear/safety.
It seems Dws06 and ze950 both are good choice all around

I run 40-45psi in all my car tires. I have for years. No center wear.

So, honest question.

Obviously longevity is a good thing, but why do people consider it the most important thing for a tire? Shouldn't traction come first, and maybe NVH/overall feel second?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
So, honest question.

Obviously longevity is a good thing, but why do people consider it the most important thing for a tire? Shouldn't traction come first, and maybe NVH/overall feel second?

I strongly suspect that people don't know that wear and traction are opposing properties - that tires with really good wearing properties don't have good traction.

- AND -

They think that if they have never had an issue with traction, because they've never slammed on the brakes or had to do an emergency maneuvers, so they think there is plenty of traction.

NVH / Overall feel? Maybe my wife is a good example. She never reports a problem. It's like she is totally disconnected from the vehicle and how it behaves on the road. One time I drove her car and the brakes were AWFUL (They needed bleeding!) Not a peep from her! She didn't notice when I fixed them. I suspect that many people are like that.

I suspect you and I have similar feelings on this topic. With all due respect, I'd rather hear from people who don't think like we do.

Get tires with the XL rating. Using your car, Tire Rack returned a list of 18. Some are winter tires. Most are pretty high performance. With low UTQG life numbers. But a few are longer lived. Like the Conti DWS, which went over 45,000 on my Volvo in a 235/45R17 size.

Last edited:
Also worth mentioning: the Sumitomo HTR AS P02 is almost identical to the Falken Ziex ZE950, except with different siping. Otherwise, they are the same tire. Same tread design (aside from the sipes), same 103W speed/load rating, and same UTQG 500 A A, and same 45k warranty. Sumitomo is the parent company of Falken.

Tire Rack sells Sumitomo brand tires, but not Falken.

I had actually forgotten to look at Tire Rack until Astro14 mentioned it.

I figured I would pop back in. Traction is important to me, but as you can see in this size range, the only choice I have are UHP all season or summer tires. The vehicle in question also weighs 5,200 lbs and has AWD. For this vehicle, my driving conditions, and for this range of available tires, noise is my primary concern.

Noise is actually primary for me when I shop for almost any tires... The tires can grip like slicks but if they roar on the highway I will not tolerate them. The exception was my S2000. That car was a sorts car and a bucket of noise anyway, much like your RX-8.

The Falken and Sumitomo may be the "same" tire but the Sumitomo has garbage reviews where the Falkens don't. I even found a recommendation for the Falkens from another owner who has them and reports that they have been quieter than his last set of DWS. There is a new DWS 06,however... So it is a toss up for me between the two. The Sumitomo is also listed at $105... I can't help but wonder why.

I want the XL tires so I can use the ROW tire pressures vs the insanely high US spec pressures. The US pressures on the door are for maximum load where the ROW door chart shows a range.

So far I have checked every reputable and disreputable source on the net. I'm the type of guy that researches just about every purchase over $500 until it's dead; I have 3 more weeks before I am CONUS and will pull the trigger.

Totally a good idea to research big purchases, nothing wrong with that
smile.gif

The Sumitomos are $105 on Tire Rack, but they don't have free shipping, so they're more like $120 once that is factored in. Walmart has the Falken ZE950 for $150. Tire rack's price on the DWS06 plus shipping is essentially equal to Walmart's price of around $200.

Also, if you shop at Discount Tire, and you're not aware: DT's Falken ProG4 is a rebranded Sumitomo P02--NOT the Falken ZE950!!!

The DWS06 is US-made in your size and has the Y speed rating, and you're already on the older DWS and are satisfied. If those factors are worth the extra cost $50 extra per tire, so $200 for the set), get the DWS06. Otherwise, save the money and get Falken.

Can you hear tire noise (or any outside noise) in the Phaeton? I thought these would be quiet cars, at least with the windows up.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The tires can grip like slicks but if they roar on the highway I will not tolerate them. The exception was my S2000. That car was a sorts car and a bucket of noise anyway, much like your RX-8.

Here+you+go+_df56c6c682513c4dc47668eaa9524881.jpg

Back on topic: I haven't seen a single tire suggestion so far that I'd even consider next to the Contis.

What's the OE tire, by the way?

I was quoted $162 each for the Falken and $178 for the Continental from the local Black's Tire that I have a good relationship with.

The Phaeton is the most comfortable and quiet car I have ever owned, and I plan on keeping it indefinitely. The only other car that has come close was my 750li that I had to leave in Germany.

OE was the Michelin MXM4. I would gladly use those if they still made them.

And that wasn't a diss on the RX-8; I adore that car. Was just trying say that my needs for this car are different from my sports car.

I was quoted $162 each for the Falken and $178 for the Continental

With that little of a price difference, get the Conti. Especially since you're already happy with that brand
smile.gif

I figured I would pop back in. Traction is important to me, but as you can see in this size range, the only choice I have are UHP all season or summer tires. The vehicle in question also weighs 5,200 lbs and has AWD. For this vehicle, my driving conditions, and for this range of available tires, noise is my primary concern.

Noise is actually primary for me when I shop for almost any tires... The tires can grip like slicks but if they roar on the highway I will not tolerate them. The exception was my S2000. That car was a sorts car and a bucket of noise anyway, much like your RX-8.

The Falken and Sumitomo may be the "same" tire but the Sumitomo has garbage reviews where the Falkens don't. I even found a recommendation for the Falkens from another owner who has them and reports that they have been quieter than his last set of DWS. There is a new DWS 06,however... So it is a toss up for me between the two. The Sumitomo is also listed at $105... I can't help but wonder why.

I want the XL tires so I can use the ROW tire pressures vs the insanely high US spec pressures. The US pressures on the door are for maximum load where the ROW door chart shows a range.

So far I have checked every reputable and disreputable source on the net. I'm the type of guy that researches just about every purchase over $500 until it's dead; I have 3 more weeks before I am CONUS and will pull the trigger.

Just to share my experience.. personally I will avoid XL tyre except for sport car.
Why ? Most of the time the tyre does not have enough load capacity on standard tyre pressure, and when you inflate it higher most likely you will hear more roar from the tyre.

And that wasn't a diss on the RX-8; I adore that car. Was just trying say that my needs for this car are different from my sports car.

Figured. No worries.
cheers3.gif

Just to share my experience.. personally I will avoid XL tyre except for sport car.
Why ? Most of the time the tyre does not have enough load capacity on standard tyre pressure, and when you inflate it higher most likely you will hear more roar from the tyre.

I think you're confused on what an XL rating means in a tire...it's not weaker, requiring higher pressure, it's stronger, and able to take the higher pressure and therefore, an extra load.

The OP has a very heavy car, he needs the XL to handle the eXtra Load that his cars puts on tires...

If you're overinflating your tires by using what's on the sidewall, instead of what's on the door jamb or in the owner's manual, well, then that roar on the highway you've experienced is a self-inflicted problem...

I would recommend starting a bit of reading here: http://www.barrystiretech.com/loadtables.html

And here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=194

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back