$250 upgrade=WOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you do decide to get a new power supply, get as good as you can afford at as high an efficiency rating as possible. A beefy enough power supply could last years and years due to the overhead from a higher wattage than you'll use. It'll probably pay for itself in saved power too.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Popinski
It's a Sparkle 300 watt PSU. From the people I asked, it's a good brand. It's 7 years old and I clean the dust in the inside every 3 months. It never gave me any problems.

"Sparkle" for a power supply name is about as confidence inspiring as "Crash" would be for brake parts.
grin2.gif

Hahaha, hilarious!
Brake Pads at AutoZone:
Crash "Coroner Plus" compound - $4.99
Crash "Jaws of Life" Bio-Degradable Detritus Compound - $6.99
Crash "Walk Away" Organic - $14.99
Crash "Fender Bender" Semi-Metallic - $24.99

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Sparkle is a good brand (dump for the mfg to choose such a name though). Another good brand is Seasonic
OCZ makes great value power supplies. I had a 500w OCZ power supply running a very powerful overclocked quad core rig and the power supply was only $24.99 from Micro Center.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
SPI/Sparkle are a very large OEM. They make very reliable PSU's.

+1. They have been a gold standard for years. They are also known as FSP.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
SPI/Sparkle are a very large OEM. They make very reliable PSU's.

+1. They have been a gold standard for years. They are also known as FSP.

Yes they are. Though SPI and FSP are listed separately in my price list for whatever reason.

Thanks guys.

Today, I went garbage hunting and there is a guy who tried to build a computer but gave up because he couldn't get it to work. He gave me the whole computer and included with it is a 500 watt starlogic PSU. Anyone heard of this?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
No. Can you take pics? Label shot would be good as well as exterior and interior if you care to open it.

+1.
sounds like a "gutless wonder"
most of those noname units are junk.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
No. Can you take pics? Label shot would be good as well as exterior and interior if you care to open it.

+1.

"The Deer"

"The Power Master"

"Voltage King"

"The Power Supply"

Most of then in cheap tin cases and weigh 1/4 of the same rated output until from FSP/SPI.

+1.

"The Deer"
I was hoping to go the rest of my life without being reminded of the existence of Deer power supplies.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

+1.

"The Deer"
I was hoping to go the rest of my life without being reminded of the existence of Deer power supplies.

I may have one here, I could post pictures! LMAO!

I often keep junk parts as reminders for those who use them, or buy systems that are a "great deal" and when it tragically fails, I can show them why.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

"The Deer"

Lol. I had a 300w Deer in my router machine for a couple years until I replaced it with a PC P&C unit. The caps were bad and leaking, of course. It actually wasnt a halfway bad unit for a 300w, except for the [censored] caps. Had an actual bridge rectifier for example. I did strip it of its silicon and transformers before I trashed it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back