24 valve cummins oil. Confused on what to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I have a 2006 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 Cummins. It has around 100,xxx miles and it's due for an oil change.

It's just a casual driver, pull a car trailer about 5-10 times a year. I probably only put about 1000-1500 miles on it a month. It has a flashpaq tuner that is almost always on economy.

I spent the money and bought Amsoil 5w-40 and an Amsoil filter. I was told I can run this stuff for 25,000 miles between changes. Then I read I need to install a bypass filter to get that kind of mileage.

I don't really want to spend the money on the bypass filter if it's just a waste of my money. So, what would you guys suggest? Change it regularly(7500), every 25,000, or have an analysis periodically? Install the bypass filter or is it a waste of money? Also, am I wasting my money with the Amsoil? The previous change was rotella, and I can go back to that if the Amsoil is excessive for my usage...

I wouldn't spend the money on a bypass kit myself. You'll get your money's worth out of that engine without one. The engine will probably long outlast the body of your truck. I would run the Amsoil oil and filter for probably 10,000 miles and then go back to Rotella if I were you. It will be a lot cheaper and if you still want to run synthetic you can use the Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w-40 along with a good filter. If you have an AAP nearby, see if they carry a Mobil 1 or Bosch Distance Plus filter for your truck.

Agreed.

Synthetic fluids and bypass filtration are fiscal tools for greatly extending the OCI, with the goal of saving money.

If your OCI plan is to change oil frequently, those products (synthetics and bypass filtration) never pay off, and end up costing you way more they they would ever save you.

Given your moderate useage, and the reknowned reputation of the 5.9 ISB, I'd say to just use a quality brand name dino oil and nice filter, once or twice a year. Get a few UOAs to really know what is more appropriate, then you'll be able to make a clear decision.

well that being the case, I have a case of Amsoil 5w-40 for sale if anyone is interested around the St. Louis, MO area :)

I think I will sell the stuff and go with this brand called Schaffer's. I think it's a local brand, but it's supposed to be high quality. And probably alot cheaper...

The biggest problem with the oil in a CR Cummins is the soot loading-the extra injection event causes extra soot in the oil. I'm going to run a cheap toilet paper bypass myself & monitor the oil to see if the insolubles climb w/UOAs-that is the key to safely extend OCI in a diesel.

Wait a minute. There is nothing "wrong" with the Amsoil 5W-40 - and I don't think anyone is saying there is.

Also, whoever gave you the 25K and the by-pass filtration information was off base.

Quote:
Normal & Severe: 3 X OEM* recommendations, not to exceed
50,000 miles/600 hours or 1 year.

Change the oil once a year and you will be fine.

That one year interval comes up a lot with Amsoil. Is that one year regardless of miles, few or many? The reason I ask is that only a year seems kind of a short interval given how long I've seen oils last in service. I know Amsoil is great oil and I'd bet it's up to way longer time intervals, as I have found ordinary oils to be. So why only one year? My guess is CYA... and I don't mean that in a bad way because it's a fact of life in business sometimes. I just don't understand. It seems to me that with all their testing and research, they'd be able to safely offer some longer time intervals. Or are there exceptions to the one-year rule?

That is precisely why Amsoil may not be a good fit. I do agree with Pablo; there is nothing wrong with Amsoil at all. They are excellent products.

What is "wrong" is the application. Would it not be cheaper to do one or two OCIs with dino? Likely so.

Not to start the whole debate all over again, but GENERALLY, premium PAOs cost about 3x more money (comparing retail to retail, or sale to sale).

So the Amsoil oil warranty will not cover him past one year, But the OEM warranty for the engine is likely still in effect, if but for a short time. The dino oil multiple OCI is probably the better choice here.

If one limits the OCI to a log mileage and low chronological duration, I see this as a perfect example where synthetics and bypass filtration do not make sense.

Last edited:
If he's over 100K he's out of warranty, and depending on the date of delivery he may be over 5 years old (also out of warranty)-chances are he's not going to have a lube related failure before he's out of warranty, and I agree that dino oil is the cheaper way to go-and 3x OCI for normal conditions would be 22,500 miles-not real far from the 25K old recommendation. Still think some extra soot handling ability & at least one UOA would be a good idea-AND-make ABSOLUTELY SURE to use quality diesel fuel from a station that filters it well & sells a lot of it, change the fuel filter regularly, WATCH THE OIL LEVEL for unexpected oil increase! Bad injectors kill more CR diesels than anything else!

Jim - you are correct - one year is arbitrary. And it is coverage - for extreme abuse. Amsoil is fine with using a UOA for going beyond a year.

bullwinkle - true, not far from the 25K for some of the gasser oils, but my emphasis was more on someone telling him that a bypass system is required. I totally agree on watching out for massive fuel dilution.

Okay, so I bit the bullet. I used the amsoil API CJ-4 and the Donaldson filter that came with it. I am not going to install a bypass filter.

I do run a very good fuel from my dad's work. Schaffer's additive(I think they are a St. Louis local) is added to their NEW above ground fuel tank when they fill it, so it is pre-treated fuel. I highly trust them, because they sell at a premium price to trucking companys. I have also noticed an increase in fuel economy just by using their fuel over other stations.

So, I think I am going to do a UOA at 7500 and see what happens from there. What do you guys think?

That's a good starting point-you'll be able to get a good idea of how fast the soot (insolubles) are building up, and a general idea of the condition of your Cummins-I bet you'll see that it can go farther than 7500.

I'll go on record predicting that at 7500, you be wanting to change the oil to insolubles and/or fuel dilution.

I'm pulling that out of my rectum, of course. A lot will depend on how the truck is driven. If the miles come in job lots, lots of freeway, for example, without being at a heavy load, you can likely skate past 7500. In town, I'm not so sure and with an Illinois winter??? If anything can do it, however, a sanely driven and tuned common rail Cummins can. Did they have EGR in '06? That would be another predictor of not making it much past 7.5K. Anyway, since we on Bitog seem to have to "Carnak" everything, I put the envelope to my cone-hatted head and say, "Nope."

I wouldn't bother with the UOA at 7500.

Amsoil make stout oils - it will do 12-15k w/o issue. I'd run it at least 12k before i even thought of doing anything with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back