2023 Ford Ranger or Toyota Tacoma

Drive both. I looked at both before ordering my 21 Tacoma. 6 speed manual, leather, sunroof, reliability, Ford's quality lately, and our farm trucks are all Tundras, were all reasons why, I went with a Tacoma.
I done that over a week ago. Drove a 2022 Ford Ranger Lariat crew cab. Drove used both since there was no new ones to drive. I got long legs so the seat was maxed out and that was just so fit, but could of went further. Then I drove a 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR5. The Tacoma had more room and didn't find it any more uncomfortable over the Ranger. The higher dashboard and hood line others mentioned was a little noticeable, but didn't bother me. Overall, I like the Tacoma over the Ranger and just seemed better. What surprised me is my 2004 Ford Sport Trac has got the seat range like the Tacoma. I thought about looking at the Chevy Colorado. Don't know if the next generation Ranger will be better, but I can see how Sport Trac owners don't care for the Ranger.

If you live in a mountainous and hilly region you may not like how the automatic transmission shifts. It tries to get into 6th real quick for those MPG's, but any little hill it's going down into 4th some times. I don't really mind it at this point.
This was the problem with my 2016 TRD Offroad. I ended up selling it after only 11k miles (thank goodness for that resale value). Just say the word "hill" and it'll drop 2 gears and start screaming at 4k+ rpm.

This was the problem with my 2016 TRD Offroad. I ended up selling it after only 11k miles (thank goodness for that resale value). Just say the word "hill" and it'll drop 2 gears and start screaming at 4k+ rpm.
Common Toyota issue especially with the gutless 3.5L V6. I've posted several times on here about this behavior on hills with my 2019 RX 350. Steady gas going up a constant incline results in a continuous series of upshifts and downshifts. At least they're smooth.

Common Toyota issue especially with the gutless 3.5L V6. I've posted several times on here about this behavior on hills with my 2019 RX 350. Steady gas going up a constant incline results in a continuous series of upshifts and downshifts. At least they're smooth.
Smooth wasn't the problem in the Tacoma. I'm guessing you don't have this issue in the Lexus, but the 3rd gen Tacoma doesn't have a lot of sound deadening so 4k rpm gets old quickly.

Smooth wasn't the problem in the Tacoma. I'm guessing you don't have this issue in the Lexus, but the 3rd gen Tacoma doesn't have a lot of sound deadening so 4k rpm gets old quickly.
Other than reliability and resale the Tacoma is terrible- especially if one spends any amount of time for an extended period on the highway. Noisy, bad seating position, not stellar mpg- nothing stands out.

Someone makes a riser for the front of the seats, forget who. Supposed to be better, I'm 6'2 and find mine comfortable. I can only speak to my 2001 that I bought new 255k ago. Only rust was where they drilled a **** hole to mount the camper shell. White paint looks remarkable still even after parking it at plants and refineries all those years. Change water pump, hoses and timing belt every 100k. Original alt and AC, exhaust and cats. I love this truck. Been pulling trailers, boats (18' I/O), MC's Jet Skis. Never let me down. No frame rust, not sure why not as it has been at many boat ramps. I checked the rear drums and they look new inside. Crazy...I wish it had a v8 sometimes but you could get a factory supercharger on this v6 at the time and keep the warrany so it is built pretty stout. I doubt if they build Tacomas this good any more, but I have had great service from many Toyotas over the last 53 years.

Attachments

• 20180429_154259.jpg
    20180429_154259.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20180429_154423.jpg
    20180429_154423.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20180429_154408.jpg
    20180429_154408.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 4
The engine is barely audible at 6K rpm with little to no NVH.

Back