2021 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid - 4,600 miles HPL No VII 5w20

I was about to buy this No VII oil until the saw the 2k Calcium number, which is way beyond Dexos Standards - which I think is 1500 max. Sure looking forward to seeing test numbers at a different lab.

I was about to buy this No VII oil until the saw the 2k Calcium number, which is way beyond Dexos Standards - which I think is 1500 max. Sure looking forward to seeing test numbers at a different lab.
I don't think there's a hard cap on Calcium - the oil would just need to pass the LSPI related tests. There are other ingredients in this formulation that can counteract any issues driven by the Calcium content.

I don't think there's a hard cap on Calcium - the oil would just need to pass the LSPI related tests. There are other ingredients in this formulation that can counteract any issues driven by the Calcium content.
I wouldn't be shocked to read the 2nd UOA about to posted by the OP and shows Blackstone got that Calcium number wrong by a bunch.
Might see the new UOA results (from a different lab) within a week.

Updated result from Oil Analyzers. Not sure why the HPL wasn't listed, but I have requested them to update that. Fuel dilution is still high. I'm going to start changing at 3,500 miles with a new sample at 2,000, just to see where it's at. I bought the HPL in a 12 pack and the car holds 4 quarts. So still have 4 quarts available after the latest change.
OA report.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't be shocked to read the 2nd UOA about to posted by the OP and shows Blackstone got that Calcium number wrong by a bunch.
Might see the new UOA results (from a different lab) within a week.
Calcium is easily offset by higher levels of Moly & ZDDP… why the hang up on something that’s more of a boogeyman when the overall formulation easily delivers all goals?

I have not read a single word in this thread that convinces me this vehicle and this exact oil are a bad match.
fuel 9% - vis 5.5 is good? You can adjust to a shorter interval like 3K, but in that case there's no use paying for a $12 per quart oil, or whatever it costs.

I personally would run 3K OCI with the cheapest 10w30 I could find and see if the wear numbers improve. It will dilute to a 20, but that's the original recommended viscosity anyway.

Updated result from Oil Analyzers. Not sure why the HPL wasn't listed, but I have requested them to update that. Fuel dilution is still high. I'm going to start changing at 3,500 miles with a new sample at 2,000, just to see where it's at. I bought the HPL in a 12 pack and the car holds 4 quarts. So still have 4 quarts available after the latest change. View attachment 217153
How many long, sustained, highway miles? Looks like too many short trips with engine never fully warmed up. I

How many long, sustained, highway miles? Looks like too many short trips with engine never fully warmed up. I
Short trips daily. I'd guess 60% of the miles are electric, but the gas engine will turn on and off at random and most of the time the gas engine won't run for anything over 2 minutes.

Why?..... Calcium increases carbon and the vehicles I drive don't need any more than they already get. 1000 Max makes me happy..... still nowhere near the Dexos 1500 limit.
That's also why you read me favorable on weaker SP Dexos instead of the more robust Euro's SNs.
Lastly, I like high Magnesium instead of little Magnesium. I still want my near-1500 ZDDP too (Phos / Zinc)
I'd want the cst@100 at least 11.5

So far, I haven't dound this formulation, probably because it can't be made..

Short trips daily. I'd guess 60% of the miles are electric, but the gas engine will turn on and off at random and most of the time the gas engine won't run for anything over 2 minutes.
Thanks. Maybe take it on a 45min steady highway trip once a month. That should help burn of the fuel dilution.

Back