2021 Camry ATF change

Hello all,

2021 Camry with almost 95k miles on it I decided to do a drain and fill on the transmission as it's never been done before, the heat over here though is making it very painful to get done as the transmission fluid just spikes up fast without me able to set it.

I went ahead and pulled the drain plug at 123ish degrees for the fluid temp until it started trickiling, once it started trickiling the fluid was already at 134 Degrees.
I know the fluid is supposed to be set at 104 - 113 degrees but how badly off would it be if I left at this level?

Transmission shifts smoothly and doesn't make any noises.

I thought the 104-113degF thing was for level checking only. You could drain it cold.

That's how I've done all my ATs without dipsticks.

I thought the 104-113degF thing was for level checking only. You could drain it cold.

That's how I've done all my ATs without dipsticks.
I’ve drained my fluid cold overnight with the replacement fluids right in the garage next to the vehicle. In the AM, I measure out the old fluid and replace with the same amount of new. At that point, both fluids are at the same temp so i figure I’m close enough to the proper level. Never had an overfill issue yet. (/knock wood)

Hello all,

2021 Camry with almost 95k miles on it I decided to do a drain and fill on the transmission as it's never been done before, the heat over here though is making it very painful to get done as the transmission fluid just spikes up fast without me able to set it.

I went ahead and pulled the drain plug at 123ish degrees for the fluid temp until it started trickiling, once it started trickiling the fluid was already at 134 Degrees.
I know the fluid is supposed to be set at 104 - 113 degrees but how badly off would it be if I left at this level?

Transmission shifts smoothly and doesn't make any noises.
this temperature measuring nonsense is another reason why i'm against the procedure. drain what came out, measure it exactly, then put the same exact amount back in, or whatever spilled do your best to add back.

I’ve drained my fluid cold overnight with the replacement fluids right in the garage next to the vehicle. In the AM, I measure out the old fluid and replace with the same amount of new. At that point, both fluids are at the same temp so i figure I’m close enough to the proper level. Never had an overfill issue yet. (/knock wood)
+1

Nissan has a similar temperature range to the ~104-115F for level checking their CVTs via the level check plug.

I've done many drains/fills on our 2019 Pathfinder. I've drained it cold, warm and hot. A gallon drains out regardless of temp and a gallon of room temp new fluid goes back in.

I buy into the fact a transmission handles it's fluid differently based on fluid temperature. I do not buy into an appreciable amount of fluid expansion/contraction due to fluid temp. Of course there is some, but it's not measurable in a 4qt jug of transmission fluid.

Ah yes, the UB80E/F transmission. Rav4, Camry, Chevrolet/Cadillac-AWF8F45 BMW-GA8F22AW. Also used in the start of 2013 Lexus RX350 sport and some Volvo models.

This one is easy to service with the know how, it is a time consuming process. I've pieced up this instructional bit for the diy. Requires a scan tool to read TCM temperature, when you get in the habit of servicing these transmissions, usually I can go by the feeling of the transmission case itself. It would be warm/hot but not enough to should scold you.

Let's get in...

1.) Jack the vehicle, place on 4 jack stands with the vehicle level. If you have shop access, even better!
2.) locate the plastic fasteners holding the underbelly of the undercarriage, remove the 10mm fasteners at the front-bottom of the fascia, you'll see a few more that attach to the fender liners.
3.) Remove the driver side wheel for easier access
4.) Undo the small plastic fender cover above the fill plug (should be a plastic fastener, with 2-10mm bolts)
5.) Loosen the fill plug (it should say WS) - 24mm
6.) Remove drain plug -24mm
7.) Remove green fluid level tube, be careful not to strip it or force it(8mm hex)
8.) Let old fluid drain
9.)Typically, 3.5-3.75 US quarts drain.
10.) Re-install drain plug (leave level tube out)
11.) Grab long flex funnel
12.) Fill with 1 gallon (it's okay to go a little over, you'll understand why, bare with me)
13.) Shift through each of the gears with the gear shift with foot on brake pedal firmly. P-R-N-D-M, M1,2,3,4(shift through the panel gears on the steering wheel) M-D-N-R-P promptly with a brief pause
14.) Shut the car off and wait 15 minutes
15.)Pull lineset from the cooler located rear most behind the fender, mark the line with a strike out or paint pen, masking tape or colored electrical tape will suffice to note direction of flow.
16.) Attach clear hose from the output side of cooler to drain into acontainer or drain into bucket
17.) Start the car up, let the contents drain, before fluid flow slows or comes to a dribble, shut it down. (Approx 60 seconds)
18.) Add another 1 gallon through the fill port
19.) Repeat step 17. Start the vehicle to repeat drain process.
20.) Shut the vehicle down.
21.) Remove the drain plug, not much should come out.
22.) Add the fluid level tube
23.) Reinstall drain plug
24.) Add approx 3.5 quarts
26.) Let the car warm to 104-116°F, remove drain plug- removal of the fill tube is not required.
27.) A 8Oz/pint should come out, no more no less a slow and steady flow should appear, if no flow appears, add a pint.

It'll take approx 4 gallons or 12 quarts.

I don't recommend a flush additive at this time.

To extend the service life you can add a magnefine transmission filter, 3/8th's size, you'll need extra tubing and clamps. You can also opt to locate this filter in a much convenient location to replace it or to make servicing easier. Magnefine will filter down to 25 microns with an absolute of 3 microns (Amazon spec)

The common fluid options fluctuates regarding on what the fleet hosts requests and desires for long term.

Amsoil fuel efficient SS ATF is my top choice($180 for the 2.5Gal jug), if budget conscious, maxlife can be had at $22 a gallon at Walmart, or MAG1 915 at $4.15/qt or Supertech--DexronVI/Mercon LV at $7.68 in today's prices

AC Delco DexronVI can be had for $26/gal.
Citgo multi vehicle low viscosity transmission fluid for $7.00/qt
Shell multi vehicle low viscosity synthetic ATF $5.99

If you plan on sticking with the plain Toyota WS, you can find it at the local dealership as low as 7-9/qt. Shop around if possible.

Certain autozone locations will allow you to rent a transmission flush machine with a $500 refundable deposit. Taxi fleets with Camry vehicles typically go the route of the flush machine due to the nature of time savings. Flushes are typically a touchy subject, however; with any tool requires great knowledge of how to utilize them.

If it just started trickling at 134 degrees (and not before) you under-filled the transmission. I’d add a little bit more (maybe a half quart and check again).

I’ve unfortunately done this procedure too many times to count. I use a scan tool, but I’ve also used the shifter method (which is a pain). And you’re 100% correct, the fluid does heat up very very quickly, and if you’re not prepared for it, you’ll miss your window of opportunity (And the fluid/tranny does not cool down quickly either). These things remain hot!

I‘ve also skipped the entire procedure, while just measuring the fluid and replacing it. But I’ve screwed that up once, no idea how, maybe it was overfilled to begin with. I overfilled one once...10,000 miles later I rechecked and the pan was soaked! Fluid forced itself out throw the pan gasket (Lexus, my own). It was overfilled by a quart.

But I’ve done drain and fills (proper temp checks with scan tools, shifter, or infrared thermometer). I’ve done complete flushes, pan drops and filter. And everything in between. It’s a pain in the REAR END. Toyota are JERKS for doing this. 🤣🤣

I just did a '13 Corolla. Measured what drained and added about 1/2 quart more. Brought trans up to temp using a temp gun on the pan. Pulled drain plug and drained about 1/2 quart excess out. Easy peasey. If you can level a vehicle you can do this.

Back