2019 Mercedes Metris with M274

Went to local Costco today.

All Mobil 1 is gone.

Checked EuroCarParts, they now want £62 for 5 litres of 0w40

When Costco was under £40

Won't be going Mobil 1 then🤣🤣

Huge shame. I think the last few I bought were £29. As you said, everywhere else is £60+.

It was available for ~£40 from Halfords with a trade card but just checked online and they don't list any Mobil products... odd?

Huge shame. I think the last few I bought were £29. As you said, everywhere else is £60+.

It was available for ~£40 from Halfords with a trade card but just checked online and they don't list any Mobil products... odd?

I couldn’t believe it when I saw it had all gone.

Wish I had bought a few when they still had it.

Will either sign up for the Halfords trade club card or look for other options.

I couldn’t believe it when I saw it had all gone.

Wish I had bought a few when they still had it.

Will either sign up for the Halfords trade club card or look for other options.

4L bottles on Autodoc for around £38/each at the moment. I think that's the cheapest you're going to find it.

A 2019 Metris MPV with the 2.0 M274 engine.

Hi,

I have the same car as you - a 2018 V-class 6 seater with 2.0 turbo petrol engine M274.
Service fill is 8L of 0W40 engine oil.

I have been using Ravenol SSL 0W40 as they are local to me. So I can buy them half the price than Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge sold in Autobacs. The engine seems to like Ravenol and run quieter than the above oils. No sign of consumption or burn after all these years.

Hi,

I have the same car as you - a 2018 V-class 6 seater with 2.0 turbo petrol engine M274.

I have been using Ravenol SSL 0W40 as they are local to me. So I can buy them half the price than Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge sold in Autobacs. The engine seems to like Ravenol and run quieter than the above oils. No sign of consumption or burn after all these years.
0w40 does seem to be a sensible option.

Availability is an issue

As the vehicle will spend the rest of its life in Ghana and I will be maintaining it myself I have been considering shipping a barrel of oil from the UK
Hi,

Unfortunately I doubt I will be able to source oils like Ravenol that easily

Will certainly look into it.

An initial thought was to buy a significant quantity of oil in the UK and ship it to Ghana, 200 litre barrel or similar

We have a small fleet of Kia Mornings/Picantos and I was considering going to see if there was an oil that could be used it both applications

I am not overly concerned about using 0w40 in all honesty, as the weather is never cold.

There is lists of red dust which gets everywhere and clocks pollen filters and air filters.

It very similar to the dust you get in the Australian outback

My only concern is engine longevity.

I shall do so research into Ravenol, I have heard of the brand but never found it to be easily sourced in the UK.

So the next vehicle being shipped to Ghana is as the title.

A 2019 Metris MPV with the 2.0 M274 engine.

Looking for oil recommendations for the harsher conditions it will experience.

Vehicle is getting fitted with a lift kit and underbody protection once in Country.

My initial thoughts are a 229.3 oil, either Mobil 1 0w40 (which I can source easily in Costco in the UK) or Shell HX7 5w40 which can be sourced easily in Ghana

As far a frequency goes it will be the same as out old Honda Pilot, an annual oil and filter change regardless of miles done, actual mileage covered is around 1500/2000 miles.

Ait filter done at the same time.

We don't get many M274 engined cars in the UK, even cars that can be fitted with the M274 are usually specced with a diesel engine, or one of the Renault petrol engines that Merc fit in the lower spec CLA, A Class, C Class etc
Does that version of the gas engine have a particulate filter? If so, you'll want to watch the ash levels in the oil. 229.3 might not fit the bill.

Does that version of the gas engine have a particulate filter? If so, you'll want to watch the ash levels in the oil. 229.3 might not fit the bill.
As far as I am aware a GPF wasn’t standard equipment in the Metris.

We don’t get the Metris as such in Europe, we get the Vito Tourer, and I have only seen diesels, and some electric ones that nobody wants.

As far as I am aware a GPF wasn’t standard equipment in the Metris.

We don’t get the Metris as such in Europe, we get the Vito Tourer, and I have only seen diesels, and some electric ones that nobody wants.

Is the Metris the same as the Viano? A friend of mine who has way too many children has a Viano and I did some work on it a few weeks ago and was very taken back by how plush it was inside.

Is the Metris the same as the Viano? A friend of mine who has way too many children has a Viano and I did some work on it a few weeks ago and was very taken back by how plush it was inside.
Viano was the previous generation, which was replaced by the V Class

Vito Tourer is like a V Class in many ways but is actually based more directly on the Vito Van underpinnings.

In the Vito/Metris you have less sound proofing, dash is van based, very basic infotainment, you can get it in FWD.

Believe it or not there are still some Embassy’s/High Commissions in London that still run their old diesel Vianos

I personally think Mercedes made an error by only bringing the Vito/Metris to the USA.

But then they might have thought that end of the market would prefer a large SUV like a Suburban or Escalade.

And those requiring more room would just opt for a Sprinter Conversion fitted out to their exact requirements.

There are some high end V Class conversions done in the Uk, like Senzati.

And far fewer Sprinter Conversions.

They are pretty robust vehicles, I accept that the petrol Metris may not be as suitable for my needs as a diesel Vito or V Class.

But they are great value for money used, will likely strip out the interior and add loads of soundproofing.

Back