2016 Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were extremely impressed with the Impala we rented for two weeks.

Some really fine dynamics, especially for a wrong wheel drive chassis.

Super slick interior on the high end model we had, definitely a far better car than I have seen out of GM in decades...

I love the new Impala and Malibu. They look very "Avalon" to me, which I've admired every since the fourth generation debuted in 2012. I looked close at a new Malibu in our local mall last night. I'm not sure I agree with folks on the commercial that it looks like a BMW, or that it looks like a $60k car, I think it's a vast improvement over the 2015.

I love the exterior styling -- sort of a love child of Buick LaCrosse and Chevy Camaro -- and I'd probably like the interior if it came in more than two colors. Apparently you can have black, or you can spring for the top of the line model ($$$) to get saddle-colored leather; and that's it. Hey, GM: How about a light tan or a light gray? Now those, with a dark exterior, would be Super Sharp. . . .

An extra 10k spent on impulse, er impala!
Wow, our economy is alive and well. I've yet to break 10k spent on a vehicle
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
For $37K they ought to call it Caprice.Oh yea,you cant have one of those...

For 37k they should call it Mercedes :)

Originally Posted By: pbm
$37K is a lot of coin for an Impala...but it seems every car is pricey today...

Resale value isn't great too.
However,they should have received a big discount.GM is giving big discounts on their line.
It is a very nice car with great ratings from Consumer Reports.

In the past week I've had a base Impala with the 2.5L while I was in Detroit. Just yesterday, the P5 decided it was going to have some electrical issues so I got a LaCrosse as a rental with the 3.6L

The Impala was competent. Plenty of room and adequate power. Not going to set any records with the 2.5L. It was good around town and could keep up with traffic on the freeway.

Around town, the 2.5 had auto stop technology. If the car was warm enough, the engine would stop at a traffic light until you released the brake.

I didn't care for the sight lines, but I don't think any other car these days is much better.

The LaCrosse obviously is much more luxurious. The 3.6L V6 is powerful and doesn't have the stop/start feature. (Or Enterprise turned it off.)

I didn't care for the shifter on the Buick. I seemed to always end up in neutral when I was looking for drive.

Both cars had numb steering, but no bad habits.

Neither were my cup of tea. Not bad, not great. Just a car.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: oilmutt
The Impala 1s rated a best buy by Consumer Reports. I hoped they shopped several dealers and got 20% off that 37k MSRP. What did they pay?
With "average" reliability. Average for what...GM? One can get a really nice Camry with 285 HP for less than that.

An avalon is a more valid comparison to this car and the price point is similar.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The Impala 1s rated a best buy by Consumer Reports. I hoped they shopped several dealers and got 20% off that 37k MSRP. What did they pay?
With "average" reliability. Average for what...GM? One can get a really nice Camry with 285 HP for less than that.

An avalon is a more valid comparison to this car and the price point is similar.

And between the two (Avalon and Impala), I think I'd rather have the Avalon. Neither one offers a thrill ride, but at least the Avalon should be statistically more reliable.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: madRiver

And between the two (Avalon and Impala), I think I'd rather have the Avalon. Neither one offers a thrill ride, but at least the Avalon should be statistically more reliable.

+1. The Avalon probably is statistically more reliable plus has better resale.

However, the GM pricing structure is interesting. The other day I read an article that said that if you compare the Impala to the Lacrosse in the higher level trims, that the Buick can be actually less expensive than the Impala.

Around here, one can buy base level Impala's for less than 20K without breaking a sweat.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Well, even if the MSRP for Avalon and Impala is comparable, I would guess that OTD price on the Impala will be lower due to various GM incentives, so that may offset the resale value calculation.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Well, even if the MSRP for Avalon and Impala is comparable, I would guess that OTD price on the Impala will be lower due to various GM incentives, so that may offset the resale value calculation.

That's been my experience with GM. I think for the money there is nothing better.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Oh yes, a "really nice Camry" that in reality is just like every other Camry out there.

I had a 2015 Camry SE as a rental. Honestly, I'd kill myself if I had to own one.

I'm with you, bro.

Originally Posted By: marine65

For an MSRP of $37K it should.

So, how much was it?
smile.gif

With the sales tax of $3k it was still $37K. LOL
They can afford it.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We were extremely impressed with the Impala we rented for two weeks.

Some really fine dynamics, especially for a wrong wheel drive chassis.

Super slick interior on the high end model we had, definitely a far better car than I have seen out of GM in decades...

Rear wheel drive might be fine for warm weather states but nobody in Colorado wants one unless they have a four or all wheel drive for the snow days.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
laugh.gif

He owns a restaurant and my daughter is in management for King Soopers(Kroger)so they can afford it.
The price and payments made me feel better when I got in my paid for 06 Sentra to drive home.

laugh.gif

He owns a restaurant and my daughter is in management for King Soopers(Kroger)so they can afford it.
The price and payments made me feel better when I got in my paid for 06 Sentra to drive home.

Quality costs money. GM has greatly increase the quality of their cars.

Originally Posted By: dareo
That is Silverado money...

In an LT trim...........

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
laugh.gif

Quality costs money. GM has greatly increase the quality of their cars.

But is that quality higher than other mfgs in this segment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back