2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport AWD, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is driving me crazy car shopping!!!!!

Anyways, after steering her away form the Cherokee. We've been looking around. She is looking at a 2016 Santa Fe sport AWD. Has the preferred equipment package. 2.4L. Seemed to drive really well. Not a sports car but had plenty of pep. Also has the Lock feature with the AWD which I like over the CRV.

Stayed in our price range of 30k or less being around 27k after the discounts.

Any issues with the Hyundais I should know about? Or current 2013-2016 owners opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hyundai Santa fe's are great reliable vehicles not cheap anymore but built very well.. With the best warranty out there. Hyundai builds a great vehicle. probably the best choice these days.

See ... alex on autos/youtube video review of the Hyundai SantaFe SPORT. Very positive reviews and he makes comparison with other vehicles in this segment(engines, mpg, prices, dimensions etc.)

See signature

As for the Santa Fe Sport, although a 2.0T FWD, we LOVE this vehicle. My wife drives it and it replaced her leased Infiniti M37. The build quality and refinment are excellent. Superb infotainment system and very composed driving characteristics. The dealer support has been top notch as well. Currently: 30,000 miles on odo.

I drive the Sonata with the 2.4 power plant you're considering for the Santa fe. It has never left me wanting for more omph, although when pushed, it can sound...agricultural or diesel like. For some, this is a turn off. In the Sonata, we avg 23 mpg (almost all city) but when i drove closer to 50% city/hwy, it was more like 28 mpg. Hyundai recommends API SM/GF-4 5W-20 / 5W-30 or 10W-30. OCI Severe 3750 / Normal 7500 miles. Currently: 20,000 miles on odo.

One recall for each - shifter pin replaced.

The 2.4 is direct injected hence the "agricultural" or diesel sound at load. It's a well proven engine and if your satisfied with the power it can't be beat.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
The 2.4 is direct injected hence the "agricultural" or diesel sound at load. It's a well proven engine and if your satisfied with the power it can't be beat.

Yes, that's why i said 'for some, it may be a turn off...' I have no issue with it at all.
wink.gif

I might add, although the manual advises 87 cotane or higher may be used, mine undoubtedly runs better with premium. Not saying anyone elses will.

Why not get the 2016 Hyundai Tucson with the 1.6 GDI-T engine since everybody that tested it swears it's the cat's meow ?

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Why not get the 2016 Hyundai Tucson with the 1.6 GDI-T engine since everybody that tested it swears it's the cat's meow ?

I would prefer someone else test the 1.6 L engine with 7 spd DSG tranny for a year or 2, if it were my money.

Even if Hyundai has "the best" warranty.

PS I own a 2013 2.4L Sonata. The 2.4L has had some #2 spun bearing issues - taking out the engine.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: Andy636

I would prefer someone else test the 1.6 L engine with 7 spd DSG tranny for a year or 2, if it were my money.

Even if Hyundai has "the best" warranty.

PS I own a 2013 2.4L Sonata. The 2.4L has had some #2 spun bearing issues - taking out the engine.

The 7 spd DSG is already in use with the i40 european model, you can follow the forums and see what the folks on this side of the pound have to say about it

Originally Posted By: wemay
OP, get the 2.4, you'll be happy with it.

Do these like 5-20 or 5-30 better? They give you a choice, but which does it prefer better does anyone know?

We drove the 2016 tuscon and the seats were hard as rocks. The 1.6 did pretty good, but we both hated the seats.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Originally Posted By: wemay
OP, get the 2.4, you'll be happy with it.

Do these like 5-20 or 5-30 better? They give you a choice, but which does it prefer better does anyone know?

We drove the 2016 tuscon and the seats were hard as rocks. The 1.6 did pretty good, but we both hated the seats.

I really haven't been able to tell a difference. I mostly use 5w20 but 5w30 has seen some time in the 2.4 sump.

The new Tucson 1.6T is one sharp looker. I haven't seen one up close yet, much less sat in one but if i were in the market for a compact cuv, it and the Mazda CX-3 would top my list right now.

Originally Posted By: Danno
http://www.talkhyundai.com/hyundaiforumuk/topic/635-do-not-buy-or-consider-buying-a-i40/page-1

I see some really POed i40 owners, not much on the 7 spd DSG.

Guy never actually mentioned what went wrong with the car so he's probably overreacting, that and the fact that his dealership seems borderline retarded automatically means that Hyundai is a POS company.

What I dislike about Hyundai at the moment is that they kinda went a bit looney tunes with the pricing, still a pretty good bang for the buck but not as great at it used to be 5-7 years ago.

I think she has decided on this one. We're going to stop by the dealership the weekend and see if they are willing to deal.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I think she has decided on this one. We're going to stop by the dealership the weekend and see if they are willing to deal.

thumbsup2.gif
Hopefully it all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back