2016 Dodge Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to a recent accident (truck rear-ended us), we have had several rental cars over the past month or so. I figured I would present a brief opinion of each of them. The first was a 2016 Dodge Durango that was nicely equipped. The Durango had approximately 10K miles and had an approximate MSRP of $42,000. It was equipped with the Penstar V6 and the 8 speed transmission.

Interior:
Dodge definitely improved these things a bunch. Interior was not made of cheap plastic and actually had a
nice feel to it. This is NOT the Durango of years' past. We have 3 growing boys and the three row seating
came in handy. Access to the third row was rather easy. I felt the info-tainment system was a bit over-
whelming. The large screen was nice but it seemed EVERYTHING was controlled through the system which isn't
my cup of tea. Seating was comfortable and the sound system was incredible. Overall, it was very nice.

Exterior:
Once again, this is not your 2000 vintage Durango. Styling is much improved and looks sharp. I was a bit
disappointed with the ground clearance and the close-to-the-ground front lip of the bumper that scraped the
asphalt in a few locations. Headlights and tail lights looked like they were from a premium sedan or SUV.

Ride:
This V6 gets up and goes! If I wouldn't have peaked under the hood, I would have thought there was a V-8 in the thing. Sounded excellent. Ride quality was superb. My first impression of the 8 speed was that it was a smooth shifting transmission. However, as the days went along, something just didn't seem right. There was hesitating going up through the gears, almost like the transmission was slipping. Then on our way to church one Sunday, it started lurching and bucking and wouldn't get out of 1st gear. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree. It left us stranded and had to be towed.

Overall, we really liked the package...just concerned about the long-term reliability. When the flat-bed arrived, they brought our 2nd rental vehicle...2016 Jeep Cherokee which I will discuss in a future review.

Last edited:
Some people love the 8 speed transmission, some people hate them. I've read a few stories of people having the same issue with the transmission that you had.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Some people love the 8 speed transmission, some people hate them. I've read a few stories of people having the same issue with the transmission that you had.

This, aside from the fantastic deal, was one of the reasons I went for the 2014 rather than the 2015 (they had both, both were automatic and silver). The Mercedes NAG-1 is a known quantity and has an excellent reputation, I am always concerned about first model year stuff, though my wife's car is technically one and has been excellent.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
My first impression of the 8 speed was that it was a smooth shifting transmission. However, as the days went along, something just didn't seem right. There was hesitating going up through the gears, almost like the transmission was slipping. Then on our way to church one Sunday, it started lurching and bucking and wouldn't get out of 1st gear. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree. It left us stranded and had to be towed..

Hate to hear that. My '14 has been a fantastic ride the past 55k miles. A handful of people have posted in the Durango forums about having tranny issues, sounds like you got a bad one. When they are working properly, the 8HPs are solid trannies. All in all, we love ours and haven't regretted purchasing it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

This, aside from the fantastic deal, was one of the reasons I went for the 2014 rather than the 2015 (they had both, both were automatic and silver). The Mercedes NAG-1 is a known quantity and has an excellent reputation, I am always concerned about first model year stuff, though my wife's car is technically one and has been excellent.

I've got the NAG-1 in my Rubicon and love it. Sooner or later I'll own something with the 8 speed ZF if Chrysler sticks with. At some point we'll probably get a Grand Cherokee. Given a choice I'd prefer the HD version of the 8 speed ZF. I know a few people who own Ram trucks and GC's with it, and their opinions about the transmissions are mixed. Some love it, some hate it. I drove a few now and honestly I have mixed feelings about it.
27.gif
But if we go GC we won't have a choice.

I agree 100% about first model year stuff. It can turn out good, or be a real cluster f......

I think as cars get more complicated, they all will be like this example until the bugs get worked out. FWIW I've had excellent service from Chrysler products over the years, starting with my 1977 Volare', 2001 Dodge truck, 2010 Challenger, 1987 Plymouth Sundance, 1999 Jeep Cherokee.

No one needs to worry about the ZF 8 speeds durability.

Used in many higher powered cars, Bentley is a great example. Extremely high torque car with AWD, one of the hardest lives for a trans. Almost no wheelspin.

They've been running them for many years now with very few issues. Same with Jaguar, BMW, and many others...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back