2015 Honda HR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whip
An SUV the size of a Fit for maybe a grand or two less than a CRV. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Up here, the smaller SUV's are a little more popular. The average buyers are women who want a smallish inexpensive AWD/4wd vehicle that's high enough so they can "see better".
Doesn't make sense to me really, but these type of vehicles are popular at my office atleast.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i only see this as cannibalizing their own CRV sales.

I don't buy it. The people who want a CR-V and who the CR-V's size makes sense for will still get one. This opens the door to compete with the other mini-crossovers that are doing well and the ones that will come to market by the time this does. Even if there is a small amount of cannibalization the potential customer is still in the showroom looking at a Honda. As Steve Jobs wisely said (paraphrasing), if you don't compete with yourself to some degree, somebody else is going to do it.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Up here, the smaller SUV's are a little more popular. The average buyers are women who want a smallish inexpensive AWD/4wd vehicle that's high enough so they can "see better".

What I appreciate about a taller vehicle like this is a more upright seating position. I don't like laying out in a seat and I don't like the seat bottom to be close to the floor as it is with most compact vehicles. The SUV/CUV/whatever you want to call it platform usually offers a real "chair" and a more comfortable seating position...for me at least.

An SUV the size of a Fit for maybe a grand or two less than a CRV. I'm scratching my head on this one.

The Fit starts at $15,425 and the CR-V starts at $22,945. There's a LOT of real estate between those two models...probably why this model has been developed. I've not seen that an HR-V will start within "a grand or two" of the CR-V...do you have a reference?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The Fit starts at $15,425 and the CR-V starts at $22,945. There's a LOT of real estate between those two models...probably why this model has been developed. I've not seen that an HR-V will start within "a grand or two" of the CR-V...do you have a reference?

You're comparing apples to oranges. What's the difference between the Fit and Civic? Probably a grand or two. Since the CRV is based on the Civic, and the HRV is based on the Fit, it would seem to me that the price difference would be about the same.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I believe we can expect the base model to start around $16,000 plus dest. and then go up from there to meet CR-V.

If the Fit starts at $15,500, the HRV will be much more than $16,000.

Last edited:
What's the difference between the Fit and Civic? Probably a grand or two. Since the CRV is based on the Civic, and the HRV is based on the Fit, it would seem to me that the price difference would be about the same.

The Fit starts at $15,425 and the Civic sedan starts at $18,390. The Fit is about a 15% discount compared with the Civic sedan, or about $3,000.

If you figure the same percentage discount for the HR-V vs. the CR-V, you're looking at a starting price of $19,500 for the HR-V, which would be a $3,500 discount.

I would agree with you: if the HR-V really does start within a grand or two of the CR-V, then that would be a curious strategy. I don't think that'll happen, though. Or at least if it does, it wouldn't correlate with their pricing strategy with the Fit and Civic. I can see Honda starting the HR-V at or under $19,000.

For a Fit-based FWD car (sorry CUV) in base trim? It will be right around $16,000 plus destination. Add AWD and/or leather and/or NAV and sure you'll be in that 18-22k range, taking it right up to meet CR-V's starting price.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
For a Fit-based FWD car (sorry CUV) in base trim? It will be right around $16,000 plus destination. Add AWD and/or leather and/or NAV and sure you'll be in that 18-22k range, taking it right up to meet CR-V's starting price.

You really think Honda is only going to add $500 to a Fit based SUV over the Fit price? Half the reason manufacturers like SUVs is the higher profits.

$20k and "AWD"? It'll sell well around me, where half the folks are convinced that AWD is the bee's knees for handling winter weather. For the AWD camp, this will sell well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back