2015 Ecodiesel lasts 270k on original engine running P66 Guardol XT 5w40

Highway driving does wonders for engine longevity. These engines need heat and load to perform. City driving, short drive cycles and extreme cold starts are hard on these.

This. Most engines will go that far when driven tons of mileage in a short span and oil changed at 10k.

Even the worst engines some will
Make it though.

Help me out, guys. Is the Ecodiesel the Italian 3.0 V6 that was used in RAM trucks for a few years?

Back around 2016 one of my friends was looking to replace his rusty '03 RAM. He hauls a big 5th wheel camper a few times each summer, and found the 4.7 in his '03 was a bit overworked.

I thought he would do well with the 3.0 diesel, and they offered him a very good price, but he opted for the 5.7 HEMI. Much better decision! He's had no problems with the HEMI.

As far as bad diesels go, let's not forget GM's converted 350/5.7 of the 1980s.

Yes, Deere makes or formulates a 5w-40 but you likely have to order from green parts store. Most Deere dealers carry 0w-40, 10w-30, or 15w-40 Plus 50 ii

It’s CK-4

Plus 50 ii doesn’t have a crazy amount of zinc or phosphorus but it has like 242 ppm of moly and 240 ppm boron.
That is a lot of tenacious boron.

Help me out, guys. Is the Ecodiesel the Italian 3.0 V6 that was used in RAM trucks for a few years?

Back around 2016 one of my friends was looking to replace his rusty '03 RAM. He hauls a big 5th wheel camper a few times each summer, and found the 4.7 in his '03 was a bit overworked.

I thought he would do well with the 3.0 diesel, and they offered him a very good price, but he opted for the 5.7 HEMI. Much better decision! He's had no problems with the HEMI.

As far as bad diesels go, let's not forget GM's converted 350/5.7 of the 1980s.

Yes this is the 2nd gen ED from VM Motori.

The 3rd gen ED used in Rams from 2020+ is supposed to be much better though maybe it's just to new yet to show any issues.

The problem with the original ecodiesels was FCA speced the oil weight to low, they had it at 5w-30, after they had issues and investigated it they found the film strength of the 30 weight oil was not strong enough and they changed the spec for all ecodiesels to 5w-40 because the film strength of the 40 weight oil was enough to protect the bearings.

Some dealers still installed 5w-30 oil into all ecodiesels even after the change in oil spec by FCA. I think the ecodiesels that have run nothing but a quality 40 weight oil will be fine, it is the ones that ran 30 weight oil that even with the upgraded oil spec being used that may still have an issue. What damage was already done by the 30 weight oil.

I have a 2019 Ram ecodiesel with the second generation engine and it has always used 40 weight oil. From the first oil change I did at 1,816 miles to drain out as much of the break in metals as possible as early as possible I have run nothing but Redline 15w-40 diesel oil, it is a group 5 Ester based oil. I now have over 49,400 miles on this engine and I am fixing to change the oil again at 50,000 miles, I change the oil every 10,000 miles.

I also installed a Green Diesel Engineering EPA compliant tune at the 1,800 mile mark, GDE says this tune reduces the soot level 75% in this engine so that will help the Diesel Partical Filter last longer.

Another thing I do is I only run Peak BlueDEF Platinum, I pulled the injector at every oil change and when the truck ran regular DEF the DEF injector was completely covered in crystallized DEF and the mounting hole in the DEF chamber was clogged with crystallized DEF. Once I had the system on 100% Peak BlueDEF platinum the DEF injector has been clean and the mounting hole for the DEF injector has been clean. so I can say from actual use that Peak BlueDEF Platinum does work as advertised.

My daughter's 99 MB 3.2 v6 has 279k miles on Mobil1 0-40. Still running strong but the vehicle around it is starting to fall apart.

The problem with the original ecodiesels was FCA speced the oil weight to low, they had it at 5w-30, after they had issues and investigated it they found the film strength of the 30 weight oil was not strong enough and they changed the spec for all ecodiesels to 5w-40 because the film strength of the 40 weight oil was enough to protect the bearings.

Some dealers still installed 5w-30 oil into all ecodiesels even after the change in oil spec by FCA. I think the ecodiesels that have run nothing but a quality 40 weight oil will be fine, it is the ones that ran 30 weight oil that even with the upgraded oil spec being used that may still have an issue. What damage was already done by the 30 weight oil.

I have a 2019 Ram ecodiesel with the second generation engine and it has always used 40 weight oil. From the first oil change I did at 1,816 miles to drain out as much of the break in metals as possible as early as possible I have run nothing but Redline 15w-40 diesel oil, it is a group 5 Ester based oil. I now have over 49,400 miles on this engine and I am fixing to change the oil again at 50,000 miles, I change the oil every 10,000 miles.

I also installed a Green Diesel Engineering EPA compliant tune at the 1,800 mile mark, GDE says this tune reduces the soot level 75% in this engine so that will help the Diesel Partical Filter last longer.

Another thing I do is I only run Peak BlueDEF Platinum, I pulled the injector at every oil change and when the truck ran regular DEF the DEF injector was completely covered in crystallized DEF and the mounting hole in the DEF chamber was clogged with crystallized DEF. Once I had the system on 100% Peak BlueDEF platinum the DEF injector has been clean and the mounting hole for the DEF injector has been clean. so I can say from actual use that Peak BlueDEF Platinum does work as advertised.
My 2018 Ecodiesel went 67000km before it spun a bearing. Rotella T6 5w40 all the time, no more than 8000-10000miles on an oil change.
I put on a tune around the 45000km mark to shut the EGR off when my intake swirl valves coked up with soot and needed to get a new intake manifold, but the damage was done.
It spun a bearing 1700km into a fresh oil change at 67000km

With my new motor, I put the tune back on the 2nd day i got it back from warranty. Hopefully this one lasts.
A lot of them seem to be having issues with the oil pickup tube clogging up due to long intervals, starving the bearings under load when it's needed.

Last edited:

Thats amazing that 30 weight diesel oil could do that.. do the Italians not know how to build a reliable modern diesel engine?

Back