2015 6.7L Powerstroke Fuel Filter Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I am using the same kit. 2015 PSD, any thoughts on a dieselsite filter setup on a 6.7? Thought about it...but haven't done anything...don't want to mess with warranty issues with aftermarket stuff.
I have contacted Dieselsite and discussed their setup. Aside from the $700 price tag (which is peanuts compared to a fuel system repair, that is usually NOT covered by Ford even with the extended warranty), the filter does not positively stop the flow of fuel if water is detected.

There was a post (that I cannot find now) on The Diesel Stop where a poster said they had a signed statement from Diesel Site stating it absolutely stops the flow of fuel when water is detected. I am skeptical about it because I received a mail stating that it will not stop the flow of fuel (I can PM it to you if you want to see it).

I am still waffling on it--not due to any issues with Ford (especially since nothing will be modified to install it, it is completely bolt on), but because I am questioning what is to be gained other than a visual way to see the water.

Dieselsite filter system is pretty much a nightmare to install if you have a titan tank (some will say otherwise). Also, have heard from multiple sources that the emergency brake cable is in the way in 2014 models (unlike earlier models). I decided to pass on it.

The water in fuel problem is worse with B blends. B20 will attract and hold water more readily than B0, but diesel as a whole does have an affinity for water. It's usually kept under control with emulsifiers in the fuel, but fuel varies so much, even in high volume places. It's always a commodity, and I'm convinced less attention is paid to diesel quality than gasoline. Shoot even the local labels here only state that bio content is present, anywhere from B2 to B11. So likely no two tanks are identical. Nearly any purchaser of diesel will be a long way away from the source of bad fuel before it's discovered, and high volume truck stops have to have diesel, even bad diesel, to keep truckers coming in for cigs and coffee.
2015_PSD is already doing all the right things, staying on top of the separator, changing filters regularly. Stanadyne has a demulsifier, so it's dropping the water out of suspension, and the water trap is getting it. ( http://stanadyneadditives.com/performance-formula/ )
Maybe you could consider an emulsifier additive to keep it in suspension and carry it right on through to combustion?
( http://www.ezoil.com/resources-diesel-fuel-additives-emulsification-vs.-demulsification )
Just a thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back