2014 Subaru Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone I know with a Forester really likes it. Lots of room, and very reliable. Up here in Northern NY there is mud/snow 6 months out of the year, and the all wheel drive is awesome. I have had a 2012 Legacy for two weeks, and so far I am very happy with it.

These are made in the USA so I don't see how obtaining parts should be an issue. But they are so reliable that I don't see why obtaining parts would be an issue. Seriously though, I see Subarus everywhere out here in Central California. Very dependable in the hills and mountains in our area. And everyone I know loves them. My insurance company (Liberty Mutual) rates them as some of the safest vehicles around. Plus dogs love them too.

Originally Posted By: Falken

Subaru makes the best AWD system. But has the oddball Boxer engine, that has it's minuses (can't think of the pluses other than lower center of gravity).

I consider Subaru to be a less common brand, so I would look more mainstream if you want cheap parts and ready service.

After studying auto mechanics it really allows you to appreciate the price differences and availability of parts.

Those two factors alone make car shopping much easier.

Torque.

As for parts, you will have no problem getting anything you need for a Subaru.

When looking at a rav4 vs forester look at the cargo space behind the seats as well. Also Toyota owns 20% of Subaru and Subaru has built camrys in Indiana.

Also timing chain is not a new thing for Subaru. They have run one on the H6 for over a decade and that engine is a solid performer.

As for cvt, Subaru was at the forefront on that one with the justy back in the 90's...

Originally Posted By: JavierG
These are made in the USA so I don't see how obtaining parts should be an issue.

The window sticker from our '11 indicates that it is 100% made in Japan.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Originally Posted By: Falken

Subaru makes the best AWD system. But has the oddball Boxer engine, that has it's minuses (can't think of the pluses other than lower center of gravity).

I consider Subaru to be a less common brand, so I would look more mainstream if you want cheap parts and ready service.

After studying auto mechanics it really allows you to appreciate the price differences and availability of parts.

Those two factors alone make car shopping much easier.

Torque.

As for parts, you will have no problem getting anything you need for a Subaru.

When looking at a rav4 vs forester look at the cargo space behind the seats as well. Also Toyota owns 20% of Subaru and Subaru has built camrys in Indiana.
The flat-4 boxer layout has no inherent torque production advantage - Thats all cam and intake/exhaust resonance tuning. That said, Fuji tend to tune their low HP non-boosted engines for good low end torque. The 09 EJ motor employed a version of VTEC that idled one of the 2 intake valves for good intake velocity and swirl at low to mid revs. The new FB motor has a "relatively" more square bore/stroke ratio and VVTi to do the same job, but not as well in my book. Lost some good high rpm horespower that was on the previous big bore EJ VTEC engine. Not an issue on the Fozzie but more so on a sport driven Impreza (which a fozzie really is)

Well,I bought it.After the 4 freebie oil changes I'm going to use some PU 5/20 I got during the Wal Mart clearance.

Last edited:
My mom just got a 2014 its a really nice car. I got one of the last 2013's cause I was unsure about the cvt. Now that I driven the cvt quite a few times I like it a lot. The gas mileage is great and it is sooo smooth. No reason for me to not like the cvt yet. I like the cvt better then the 6speed auto that was in my fusion that felt slow to react and hunted for gears a lot.
I dont think people should worry about the FB engine now either the consumptions issues seem to be dieing off so I think subaru has fixed the problem.
2014 also has nicer material on the seats and the dash is nicer then the 13's.

Originally Posted By: askani79705
Thanks guys, I have driven many cars in that segment and had choosen this one.I started to read a Subaru forum and the consumption issue and knew I would get a more informed view here.
Ottotheclown, We don't get much snow here but it has been known to rain mud !

What else did you drive? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: askani79705
Thanks guys, I have driven many cars in that segment and had choosen this one.I started to read a Subaru forum and the consumption issue and knew I would get a more informed view here.
Ottotheclown, We don't get much snow here but it has been known to rain mud !

What else did you drive? Just curious.

CRV,Hyundai,Ford Escape,and Mitsubishi Outlander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back