2014 Odyssey Right Side Suspension Play?

JHZR2

Staff member
2014 Odyssey, owned since new, 94k miles.

In the past few months, there has been a bit of looseness coming from the right side. It’s mainly during slow maneuvering or especially slow driving on rough roads with bumps and holes, and light braking makes it worse.

I changed the oil this AM and looked at all the bushings and boots are perfect.

Even with the wheels on the ground I get a lot of play when holding the wheel at 3 and 9.

With wheels on the ground, the other side doesn’t have any play.

Thoughts on the cause?

thanks!

I just replaced the outer tie rod ends on a 2006 Odyssey that displayed identical symptoms. It was obvious when I repeated that test with the front end lifted where I could watch the play on the tie rod end.

I just replaced the outer tie rod ends on a 2006 Odyssey that displayed identical symptoms. It was obvious when I repeated that test with the front end lifted where I could watch the play on the tie rod end.
I do intend to do that. Tie rod end looks perfect…

Movement at 3 and 9 o'clock has always been a loose outer tie-rod end (on my vehicles).

12 and 6 has been a ball joint.
The thing that concerns me is that it really is only noticed when going on lousy roads, over bumps. And braking. No issues with steering.

I guess looseness could affect play in some directions, but I didn’t think tie rods do much relative to that.

In my Mercedes, a guide rod resulted in the same type feeling. But that controls forward-aft.

The thing that concerns me is that it really is only noticed when going on lousy roads, over bumps. And braking. No issues with steering.

I guess looseness could affect play in some directions, but I didn’t think tie rods do much relative to that.

In my Mercedes, a guide rod resulted in the same type feeling. But that controls forward-aft.
With weight on the suspension (i.e. the wheel on the ground), you may still be able to move the socket-end of the tie-rod on the ball, just using your thumb and fingers. That's not necessarily a sign that the tie-rod end is bad yet, but is an indication of some wear.

If it's really bad, you'll see the slop between the ball and socket when the suspension is unloaded (i.e. the wheel is off the ground).

Edit: The sound may be unrelated - perhaps a stabilizer-bar end link, which makes a knocking sound over bumps.

2014 Odyssey, owned since new, 94k miles.

In the past few months, there has been a bit of looseness coming from the right side. It’s mainly during slow maneuvering or especially slow driving on rough roads with bumps and holes, and light braking makes it worse.

I changed the oil this AM and looked at all the bushings and boots are perfect.

Even with the wheels on the ground I get a lot of play when holding the wheel at 3 and 9.

With wheels on the ground, the other side doesn’t have any play.

Thoughts on the cause?

thanks!

You need to have someone do that while you look at it from underneath. It sounds like a tie rod end or the inner.

If it’s not the outer tie rods, probably the inner ones. My ‘06 Ody had to have both inners replaced. The outer tie rods are still original at 186K miles.

My 2013 has the same noise issues, and even though the bushings pass a visual test I can get them to deflect too easy with a pry bar. I have the bushings just haven't had time to install them. More noise on the passenger side then driver's.

Have someone wiggle the wheel while you're underneath, put your hand on the outer tie rod where it connects to the knuckle. Then where the inner tie rod connects to the rack. If you don't feel the knock right there, it's probably a wheel bearing.

See if the movement moves the knuckle or not. If not, it's the wheel bearing.

But it sounds more like a tie rod.

My 2013 has the same noise issues, and even though the bushings pass a visual test I can get them to deflect too easy with a pry bar. I have the bushings just haven't had time to install them. More noise on the passenger side then driver's.
So which bushing do you pry and in what direction? Wheel loaded on the ground, or unloaded?

My crystal ball says inner tie rod, but without seeing the car, it is a guess.
If the other side doesn't do this, then it is most likely the inner tie rod. If both sides have this play, it is likely the steering rack.
I had that in my old Mazda 3, showed up years after I hit a pothole when I lived in Canada.
Ok, so I lifted the front of the van. Driver side had no play holding the tire at 12&6 or 9&3. The only motion I could create was essentially steering the rack.

On the passenger side, no play wiggling at 12&6, but the same amount of play at 9&3, as when the wheel is on the ground.

With it up in the air, I cant discern any movement that’s any different or more then when it’s on the ground. Not like the play gets worse. In fact, I can’t discern movement of anything at the steering knuckle/rotor/outer tie rod/ball joint.

I can see the entire tie rod other than the outer joint move with the play.

So I think that confirms inner tie rod, right?

If so, should I get a Honda OE, or is there another option that’s comparable or even better???

Thanks!

I can see the entire tie rod other than the outer joint move with the play.

So I think that confirms inner tie rod, right?
Wait the tie rod moves? If the inner is all that is bad the tie rod should stay still and the motion should not be evident unless you can see the boot flex on the rack, if i understand what you're saying correctly that points to the outer being a contributor at least.

My advice would be Honda only.

Wait the tie rod moves? If the inner is all that is bad the tie rod should stay still and the motion should not be evident unless you can see the boot flex on the rack, if i understand what you're saying correctly that points to the outer being a contributor at least.

My advice would be Honda only.
I see no motion in the outer. But the shaft moves overall with the play. That indicates that the wear/play is at the inner as that’s what’s moving.

Unfortunately:

IMG_0849.jpeg

I see no motion in the outer. But the shaft moves overall with the play. That indicates that the wear/play is at the inner as that’s what’s moving.

Unfortunately:

View attachment 191252
Yep, that's what my focus was doing. I don't know if there's a reason to go with OEM since the original didn't go very far? I think a decent name brand one would go for at least as long.

Back