2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Eneos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll run the M1EP this oil change and work on getting my gauges (Oil pressure and oil temperature).

Is there a subforum to ask a question about gauges?

You do realize that a Mirage is the lowest rung of economy cars currently offered in the USA, right?

The entire thread points to an OCD problem, and that's coming from a fellow member of an oil forum.

Haha yeah its a OCD problem I'm sure. I'm a car fanatic and this is my first new car, please excuse the over protective owner. It's close to the lowest, the Versa edges it out in MSRP but there are some 2014 Mirages going for 9,999+TTL which I think makes it the cheapest in reality. Maybe I'll stick with the M1EP if I don't see any difference in oil analysis, oil color when OCI is due, oil pressure/temperature. Until then I want to explore for my application.

If I wanted an "exotic" oil (non-Walmart),I'd give Redline a go. It's an ester based oil which seems to be among the best of the best and it's cheap for an exotic @ $9 a quart. I'm a cheapskate though and Walmart is the only place I'll buy my oil haha.

Again, Welcome to the Forum alex16. We all have some sort of OCD issue here. Why else would an oil forum exist.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: alex16
The reasonable alternatives are not what I want, I want the piece of mind knowing I'm putting fancy oil in my engine that has the potential to making it last longer and run better. The cost of sustina and extending my OCI to just before factory recommended 7500 (7k OCI) is $54 per oil change with filter and oil shipped to my door. This is super cheap when you compare most Mirage owners will get their oil changed at the dealer for $56 with their synthetic and mitsu filter. For less than a dealership oil change I can do it myself with oil that nobody knows how will perform in a 3A92, people want to say Sustina is not better than M1 and that M1 has a better base oil but where is the proof? Until I see proof I will run Sustina, I will also like to try 0W20 redline next summer, maybe even other oils like moly lube/Motoul/amsoil.

I wasnt going to reply any more to this thread then I read this. "I'm putting fancy oil in my engine that has the potential to making it last longer and run better." Does Sustina offer a better warranty than 15 years/ 500k miles worth of oil related engine failure? Thats the best I have found.
From Pennzoil.com

:FREE coverage up to 15 years/500,000 miles
Free warranty with purchase of any Pennzoil® motor oil
Coverage up to 500,000 miles or 15 years (whichever is first) if you exclusively use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology
Easy to enroll
Covers 15 critical engine parts
Completely transferable to future owner
Customized for each driver’s specific OEM recommended oil change schedule
Offers convenient reminders when it’s time to change your motor oil"

The This: "This is super cheap when you compare most Mirage owners will get their oil changed at the dealer for $56 with their synthetic and mitsu filter."

My dealer charges $34 for Valvoline 0w20 and Denso Filter.

500k>200k just my .02

Wow didn't know about that warranty penzoil ultra offers. Thanks for the information! They advertise cleaner than M1 as well...

can't find 0w20 ultra platnum at walmart site?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Again, Welcome to the Forum alex16. We all have some sort of OCD issue here. Why else would an oil forum exist.
wink.gif

Haha so true! Best post yet!
smile.gif

There was someone else here I was thinking some time back that was using Eneos oil. Can't remember who it was or anything about the thread though.

Haha thanks. Glad to be here in the mix of discussion. I currently use redline oil in my manual transmission and it did help it shift smoother than the original synthetic gear oil. Maybe I should try redline because it's a group V?

Wow didn't know about that warranty penzoil ultra offers. Thanks for the information! They advertise cleaner than M1 as well...

can't find 0w20 ultra platnum at walmart site?

They advertise "up to" 25% cleaner pistons for the 5w-30 grade against M1 (not EP or AFE or Euro). Keep that in mind.

They also make similar claims, but with larger differences, against other competitors.

This is the reason I made this picture, which shows the material from both manufacturers. You'll note that when you see all six pistons it would be easy to cherry-pick the worst one and compare it to your best one. You could make the same 25% difference up just using two of the Mobil pistons.

PUM1.png

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a bit of a unicorn and almost impossible to find, only the occasional Walmart will carry it.

The thing I was having trouble with is, you came here for oil suggestions but already had your mind set on another oil, it's best to come into a forum or place like this with more of an open mind.

I have a pricy oil in my car, "Pentosin" but that's because it meets my car's oil spec, now that I've seen on here and another forum that Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck and Rotella T6 works great in my engine, I'll be using those from now on (for about 1/3-1/2 of the price).

It's not that many people have favorite oils, we're just suggesting oils that are excellent and work great on many oils, I suggested Mobil 1 but have never used Mobil 1, only once have I used Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck in a 1970 VW Beetle, only about 800 miles on this oil change.

And I wasn't necessarily talking bad about your car, if I were looking for a cheap, good on gas new car it would be either the Mitsubishi Mirage or a Nissan Versa for a car I'd take to 100k miles or 5 years.

Good luck with your car though.

It's just like you guys have your favorite oil, such as m1 and how it has a better base oil, I'm sure it's good stuff but what if sustina is better at reducing sludge and provides less wear/more mpg.

"What if" is a pretty big question, not to mention one that is just about impossible for any of us here to answer.

To be blunt, though, you bring up your plan for discussion in a discussion forum, and then are annoyed when people disagree with your plan? I always say to use whatever you want, and if it's within specifications, odds are that it's going to be fine. This time will be no different. But, you chime in on a discussion board, and you will get dissenting opinions. This isn't the oil change cheer-leading forum, it's BITOG. Eneos is an off the shelf oil, too, just not so much in Canada and the States, that's all.
wink.gif

aquariuscsm: Oddly enough, vanilla Eneos isn't that badly priced up here. As far as regular priced synthetics go, it's almost palatable.

Just found some redline 0w20 for 10.75 a quart, going to get some of that for now. My oil pressure gauge and sending unit are in the mail, black stone is ready to be filled. Going to see how the mirage does with the redline, I'll probably buy it in bulk 12qts/10.75qt and use it this summer and have plenty for next summer.

I went basic on the gauges I bought some new VDO pressure/temp that I used to use on my aircooled vws

Just found some redline 0w20 for 10.75 a quart, going to get some of that for now. My oil pressure gauge and sending unit are in the mail, black stone is ready to be filled. Going to see how the mirage does with the redline, I'll probably buy it in bulk 12qts/10.75qt and use it this summer and have plenty for next summer.

I went basic on the gauges I bought some new VDO pressure/temp that I used to use on my aircooled vws

Just an FYI but the Redline product is going to do the opposite of your initial endeavour in that it is definitely not going to help fuel economy. Their products tend to be incredibly shear stable and start out generally a bit heavy for a given grade.

Think of it as the opposite of the Sustina lube with a focus entirely on wear protection and high heat performance rather than fuel economy.

For the summer it might be better to have a thicker oil, it was cheap so I figured I would experiment with it.

You won't be able to tell the difference between Redline and ST
Your engine will just be happy with fresh oil.
This is not an exotic engine and putting in high priced oil won't change that.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: wemay
wink.gif

Haha so true! Best post yet!
smile.gif

Yes, and if we ALL followed the oft given on here, 'sage' advice of "just use PYB and your engine will outlast the body/unibody/chassis of your car", then this site would have NO reason, or need, to exist.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Its a waste of money, but you are welcome to do with it as you wish. Just don't expect everyone to pat you on the back.

Maybe so, but some of us also think that; gambling, smoking, doing drugs, drinking alcohol, and stockpiling arms and ammo are "wastes of money", and some of which can actually harm/kill you.
Not so for spending a little more on oils, fluids, filters, etc.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back