2014-Honda CR-V All-Wheel Drive Fluid

Wife's CR-V has a note in the MM that the all-wheel drive fluid should be changed. When I look at the manual it says 6. Rear Differential Fluid and no mention of all-wheel drive fluid. To me all-wheel drive fluid would be something like a center diff or the transfer case and not just a differential.

Any ideas?

Wife's CR-V has a note in the MM that the all-wheel drive fluid should be changed. When I look at the manual it says 6. Rear Differential Fluid and no mention of all-wheel drive fluid. To me all-wheel drive fluid would be something like a center diff or the transfer case and not just a differential.

Any ideas?
Get only genuine Honda duel pump fluid for the rear...Takes about a quart and a half...OEM fluid only....

Get only genuine Honda duel pump fluid for the rear...Takes about a quart and a half...OEM fluid only....
I was looking and I don't really see any other companies that make a dual pump fluid so OEM was my choice.

what tyman said. And use the oem dual pump fluid, and note the frequency - I think it’s pretty often, either 15 or 30k. We had this in a ‘97, and taken care of, it was extremely effective in DC/Virginia area snows.

Initially the first diff fluid change is at 15,000 miles then they recommend every 30,000 miles. If you go too long the rear axle will start making a ratcheting sound (similar to a limited slip axle in a GM or Dodge without the limited slip additive) while tight turning. Honda Dual pump fluid is the only way to go. It shouldn't take 20 minutes to do. Make sure you remove the fill plug prior to draining the fluid.

Honda DPSF. It’s an easy-peasy job. Honda did have one odd-ball fluid - VTM4 fluid, but only the 1st-2rd gen Pilot and some Acuras need it.

Initially the first diff fluid change is at 15,000 miles then they recommend every 30,000 miles. If you go too long the rear axle will start making a ratcheting sound (similar to a limited slip axle in a GM or Dodge without the limited slip additive) while tight turning. Honda Dual pump fluid is the only way to go. It shouldn't take 20 minutes to do. Make sure you remove the fill plug prior to draining the fluid.
I think we did ours at 15k the first time too. I just follow the MM and do what it recommends. The dealer however told my wife that the trans needs to be done at 30k and was a flush. I argued with them after the fact but they just kept saying that it had to be done every 30k. When I asked them if I only did the trans when the MM came on and the trans blew while under warranty would they have to fix it under warranty even though I refused their service every 30k and they admitted yes they would have to fix it. They car is out of warranty now with 118k and it is over 6 years old. During the next oil change I'll have my mechanic do the diff fluid.

Back