2014 Ford Fusion vs 2018 F-150 insurance cost. Does not make sense.

Why is the throwaway fusion several hundred dollars more expensive for insurance (annually) than an F150 that costs almost twice as much?

Also an f150 has a higher risk of hurting people in an accident.

i just traded a 2021 malibu in for an 2024 equinox, and ins is 96$ a year cheaper , for a vehicle worth more and same features

If all else is equal, there's a better chance the insurance company will have to pay to support a disabled driver from a crash in the Fusion than in the F-150.

Knock on wood, God forbid, etc.

The actuaries must be playing darts blindfolded again. Its all profit anyway.

Statistics. Whatever stats they have on the Fusion says it cost them more in the end than the F150.

Is it also possible the mileage per year are different, or your wife is the primary driver on one and you on the other. All part of the equation.

Reactions: JTK
Statistics indeed. My 2011 Camry was slightly more expensive than my 2010 Tundra. But my 2021 Corolla is 25% more expensive than my 2021 Camry. Hybrid owners less likely to crash than the young folk who buy Corolla, apparently.

Statistics. Whatever stats they have on the Fusion says it cost them more in the end than the F150.

That's exactly how several insurance agents have explained it to me.

My jalopy 2016 malibu is $1520/yr, where my 2021 Traverse AWD is $900. My 2022 Frontier is $980. The 2015 Versa is over a grand.

We had this discussion many times. To review-Don't try to make sense of how Insurance Companies figure out their rates. It is an exercise in futility!

It’s the driver type of F150 and male vs Fusion which likely is mellow mature male/female group.

Lastly smart move to raise rates slightly on the likely largest group of vehicles out there.

It’s the driver type of F150 and male vs Fusion which likely is mellow mature male/female group.

Lastly smart move to raise rates slightly on the likely largest group of vehicles out there.
^^^^This! The large SUV/trucks have have higher weight and higher bumpers! Regular cars are at their mercy.

Is it also possible the mileage per year are different, or your wife is the primary driver on one and you on the other. All part of the equation.
At the same time which one is more likely to be stolen. there are ALOT more fusions in the inner city than f150 and are easy targets.

My 2014 Fusion is not significantly less expensive to insure than my 2018 diesel F-250. The bumpers on the truck alone are worth more than what the Fusion is, so...yeah.

My guess would be replacement parts for the Fusion are more expensive or less available, especially the earlier cars which have different headlights, taillights, and some internal and body panels than the newer ones.

At the same time which one is more likely to be stolen. there are ALOT more fusions in the inner city than f150 and are easy targets.
I am sure the stats take into account unit numbers, and all kinds of other stats we probably never think about. Its also tied to your zip code, and the crime stats there.

Liability is by far the most expensive piece of auto insurance typically anyway.

Rest assured it is not done without thought. I used to work for one of the largest insurance companies in the nation and they have it down to a science. EVERYTHING is taken into account. Likelihood of PIP claim, likelihood of total, cost to repair, likelihood of theft, etc. Trucks in general tend to be cheaper to insure because they are safer and sustain less damage.

The Fusion will probably be more likely totaled in an accident than the F-150, even with the F-150 being aluminum.
As well as potentially stolen. Insurance said our CRV is so much higher than our van and truck because it’s more commonly stolen than those two.

Back