2013 R1200RT

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a veritable laundry list of generally permissible viscosity classes, all meeting "API SF ACEA A2, or better". There are minimum temperatures listed, with no upper temperature limit published for any grade. I'm not one to put too much thought into fluid requirements beyond checking the manual, but this relatively huge list is somewhat perplexing to me.
BMW recommends Castrol (I get it, marketing agreements and all that, but lemme finish), and Castrol recommends Power RS 10W50. The PDS on that product isn't terribly impressive to me when compared to the PDS of TDT 5W40 (one of the permissible grades, and I scored 5 gallons of it for $13/gallon a while back). TDT actually has a higher HTHS, 3.7 VS. 3.8. The JASO MA rating of Poker RS is of no importance to me in this application.

The chin scratcher here is: should I hold the TDT as a winter fill, and use a heavier grade for summer time, or just use up my hoard of TDT and then go from there?

Looking at the latest owner's manual, they now call for SAE 15W-50, API SJ / JASO MA2 oil. Not sure why they insist on the JASO stuff if it's a dry clutch.

The BMW branded 15w-50 is a blend and nothing special, from what I gathered.

Does your owner's manual specifically say that 5w-40 is allowed? If so, I'd run the TDT stuff all year long until you use it all up.

The 2014 "wethead" models have wet clutches, but the "camhead" models are dry clutch, that's probably where the JASO MA2 thing is coming from.
5W40 is specifically called out for use above -4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Somewhere in the middle of 2013 BMW NA went through the whole oil revamp... they are now suggesting their 15w-50 for everything it seems, even the dry clutches, despite there being no change in engine/clutch design.

Same case with my bike... previous years allowed 10w-40 as per the manual. Now it's 15w-50...

Here is the latest R1200RT manual:
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/services/manuals/download.jsp?rx=0&gx=2&mx=30&mjx=4

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Just an FYI, that is for the now old model R1200RT. The 2014 R1200RT has been heavily revised, along with now having the partially liquid-cooled engine which debuted in the '12 R1200GS

Yup. I guess the '14 owner's manual is not up online yet.

Thanks for the heads up on the electronic manuals. I didn't expect to see any changes from the paper manual. I have an F800s, as well, and have been using Amsoil 10W40 and SRT 15W40 in it, as those were the approved grades per the paper manual.
I have seen one instance where a dry clutch machine was spec'ed for JASO MA oil, Kawasaki Teryx. The Kawasaki reps said that it had to do with the mating of the gear teeth, as opposed to any clutch operations, really strange.
I'm more conflicted on the subject now than I was when I put up the original post, haha.

I wouldn't go putting too much weight on the relevance of the HTHS figures.
Especially if there's nothing between them.
Stick as close as possible with the recommended grade of oil for the application.
Then if warranty isn't a consideration, choose a brand of oil that has superior specs to the Castrol if you like.

Here in OZ all the air-cooled Boxers get a mineral 15w-50 grade Castrol RS oil as "the only BMW approved oil", as do everything else in the range according to the BMW RSD.
That's with 10,000 km service intervals.

With exceptions for the following engines.
All liquid cooled Boxers and inline 4's, which get a synthetic Castrol Power 1 in 5w-40 grade as "the only BMW approved oil" according to the BMW RSD.
Also with 10,000 km service intervals.

Seeing as they recommend a 10w-50 for your engine in North America.
That pretty much tells you something, when compared to what they recommend here in OZ.
I believe anything with in the 10w-50 to 20w-50 range will be well suited.
I personally wouldn't put anything thinner in it unless low ambient temperatures
absolutely require it.

I hope this helps.

Reading the electronic manual for my bike's VIN and date of manufacture at the BMW site that Pete linked shows the oil page as congruent with my paper manual. That is:
"Products recommended by BMW Motorradand generally permissible viscosity classes"
5W-40
5W-(greater than or equal to)50
10W-40
10W-(greater than or equal to)50
15W-(greater than or equal to)40

The site also states that "the manual matched to your motorcycle is legally authoritive" so using the TDT is not really deviating from the manufacturer's guidance at all.
I have some M1 15W50 on the shelf, so I'll run that next and use the TDT in the following service (winter) and get some UOA to if the engine cares at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back