2013 F150 EcoBoost, 7,500 miles on factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love to see factory fill analysis! Thanks for sharing!

I really like these Ecoboost engines.

I wouldn't worry about the factory fill. While it wasn't DI or turbo, I ran a factory fill to 13,000 miles a few years ago on a car. I regret it a bit, but I think it was fine, it was the factory recommended interval.

And I realize that Ford specs 5W-30 oil for this engine, in part because they know the extra fuel that is supplied to cool the engine will quickly dilute and thin the oil down to 5W-20 (sub 9.3cst) levels.

So I view this engine the same as I do other Ford engines built in the last decade, very well engineered, that thrive on thin oils.

Gary

P.S. Correcting my earlier post, I realize MC 5W-30 has a 11.0cst VOA. I still believe > mid 7csts in this engine adequately protect it.

I have to agree with some of you because of some generalizations gleaned from seeing hundreds of FF UOAs over the years.

They have no value if you're interested in establishing wear metal ranges for analysis. We all know the metals will be way high, and they should come down. If that is the intent, it's silly, but that is my opinion, and yours may vary. On this one, I see nothing that is alarming from FF point of view.

If the intent is to check things that are independent of break-in, that are expected to be consistent throughout the use cycles, then there is some merit perhaps. Here, fuel dilution can be seen and there is no reason to think it would be much different at the first 7k mile OCI as one four cycles from now, presuming the use and environmental factors are similar. So if that is the goal, then that one characteristic can start to be tracked now. And by the way, I think 1% fuel for an EB at 7.5k miles is outstanding, overall. We've seen fuel in some UOAs up around 5%! To only be 1% is pretty darn good if you ask me for an EB engine. Perhaps being a 2013, Ford has tweaked the tune and made some changes? We'll not know until we see several more examples from a whole lot more '13 and later vehicles to make a decent conclusion.

Today's vehicle are extreme engineered for extreme cases. I doubt any harm has been done to this vehicle overall. Continued UOA trending will tell us if this is true or not, but my SWAG is that it's perfectly fine, despite the towing early on. If you've ever watched the Ford promo videos with Mike Rowe, and seen the abuse they heap upon this engine, you'll realize what he did certainly was not out of the ordinary, if only a bit early. But as long as he didn't tow heavily in the first 500 miles, he's probably fine. Even if he did do so, that would only make this an excellent test case against the pampered BITOG vehicles here.

I am a big fan of flushing all the break in fluids soon; engine, trans, diff, etc. But let's face it; we're mostly anal where the rest of the world trundles on past us with nary a thought, and yet their vehicles seem to last about as long as ours in the grand scheme of things. While it may not have been BITOG-approved to do what he did, I really see no harm coming from it. But ultimately time will tell.

I will note that this one FF UOA essentially has no value, other than knowing fuel dilution. If that's of value to him, so be it. It's a lot of money to find out just one thing this early. But that is my opinion based upon my wallet, not his.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I am a big fan of flushing all the break in fluids soon; engine, trans, diff, etc. But let's face it; we're mostly anal where the rest of the world trundles on past us with nary a thought, and yet their vehicles seem to last about as long as ours in the grand scheme of things. While it may not have been BITOG-approved to do what he did, I really see no harm coming from it. But ultimately time will tell.

I see we agree on this Dave. Typically people mentioning changing the FF early start a spirited debate, and I'd rather not go there. I would however like to ask when do you like to drop the FF of oil, ATF, Diff, etc.? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I will note that this one FF UOA essentially has no value, other than knowing fuel dilution.

I ran this one because I wanted to know what condition the oil was in; I wasn't particularly concerned with wear metals. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as many of the regulars here, but I was thinking that it would be a good idea to see how it had sheared down and whether fuel dilution was an issue at this point. I was expecting a little more fuel dilution but slightly higher viscosity.

I appreciate everyone's perspective, thanks for the input!

My hats off to you! You have have done what a million other ecoboost owners have and will do, Did you hurt engine life i doubt it. Dumping FF oil at 1000 miles, worrying about cast off material circulating around the engine, Gee whats the purpose of an oil filter ? Not knocking the early oil change i have done it myself on all my new cars, Looking back i think its a waste.

I've got to tell ya, my EB F150 needs 5000 mile OCI's. No way I'd ever go 7500 on factory fill. The above UOA results prove that.

I'll bet you a dollar the engine ran much smoother after the oil change.

You really are not saving any money by putting off oil changes. Regardless of what the OLM says. In the end, "I believe" that EB engine will simply wear faster and you run the very real risk of cam phaser problems due to contaminated oil. (a known Ford issue)

Last edited:
z4ms54upperrodbearings-1.jpg

This is what 15,000 mile oil changes and 9ppm Pb looks like after 35,000 miles. No, not a Ford engine, but still the wear metals were quite modest.

Remember, some engines naturally produce high wear metals. Such as a GM LS2 and other pushrod engines. The Ford 3.5L engine is NOT an engine known for high wear metals. Especially with reasonable oil change intervals.

I'm seeing less than 10PPM iron at 5,000 mile OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
7500 on factory fill? What's your point here?
21.gif

Just because you can doesn't mean one should.

What's the point? Its proposed by the factory manual. As you can see, everything is in spec.Blackstone shows 5,700 mile average. So that's what extremely conscientious owners do. This is well within the realm of reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

That doesn't even make any sense. Why would the engine run smoother with slightly thicker oil with a few less ppm wear metals?

No, the engine didn't seem to care any. At least I couldn't tell a difference.

Originally Posted By: TomB985
Originally Posted By: Cujet

That doesn't even make any sense. Why would the engine run smoother with slightly thicker oil with a few less ppm wear metals?

No, the engine didn't seem to care any. At least I couldn't tell a difference.

Well my EB F150 clearly idles more roughly when the oil needs to be changed. A simple oil change restores a smooth idle. Not sure why, but it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back