2012 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Honda transmissions are not lemons like they used to be. Using the DW-1 fluid should be fine.

How do you know? This is a serious question. When did Honda started making robust transmissions? Which model year?

- Vikas

Basically, look at CR's data and reports on the various forums. Generally, reports of major Honda transmission issues after the 2004MY have been fairly low and are in-line with any other brand, IMO.

Originally Posted By: robbyo
Hi,
When I bought my 2000 Honda Odyssey EX I waited for about 5000k miles and switched to Mobil 1 and ever since that time I used about a quart every 5000 miles. So I am leary of doing the same with my 2012. Now my 2007 Mustang GT I switched to Amsoil 5W20 Fully Synthetic and don't use any oil. Though I have no idea that it was the oil or the engine I am reluctant.

I seriously doubt this had anything to do with your choice of oil. Honda V6s are notorious oil burners, especially the VCMs (I realize they weren't VCM in 2000). Honda announced new oil control rings and moly impregnated piston skirts for all engines for 2011 and this seems to have helped (this is why they are so adamant about keeping the FF in for the full cycle) At least I can say my 2011 Accord V6 burns no oil but it's only got 8000 miles on it. It is currently running Honda Full Syn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Honda V6s are notorious oil burners, especially the VCMs.

Maybe a break in thing as well. Our 100,000 mile 2006 Ody (non-VCM) doesn't burn a drop during the OLM x2. The last reset at around 18K, it was down maybe .25 qt. That's nothing for an extended drain.

Our 2012 Pilot has the same engine. It is a month old. I get three free oil changes, but may pay for the full synthetic upgrade. The 0w-20 standard is so new to me it makes me nervous in the summer heat down here. Our 04 Odyssey was always run on M-1 5w-30 after the first couple of oil changes, which were Honda 5w-20. The one time I tried M-1 it used some oil, so I went back to 5w-30. Of course, that was on a trip down here from Washington so it was longer, harder driving into warmer weather than up there.

Do I understand correctly that the 0w-20 is a much better oil than 5w-20?

don't fear the 20w oils. I even use it in my jeep which sees towing and some trail thrashing and have had no reason to worry about the oil weight.

Mobil 1 is always controversial here. in years past (don't know about now) it was branded with having shearing problems, which was harder to debate/argue/prove since it seemed to vary based on it's grade. I personally found it would shear sooner than other synthetics when pushed to 10,000 mile intervals, and suspected that the 5-30 would shear much quicker than the 10-30.

The 20wt stood up will in my honda 2.4L, though PP and castrol stayed more consistent in terms of noise/feel over the full 7,500 interval.

My honda mower /hated/ mobil 5-30 and always had sparkles in the oil until I switched to something else.

I still run mobil driveline fluids and have nothing but good things to say there. But in the engine, forget it.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back