2011 Volkswagen Jetta S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
LOL! Wasn't it a piston ring installation issue?

It may have been. My memory is failing me.

My wife (g/f back then) had an '01 Jetta 2.0 with the 4-speed auto tranny. She bought it new and traded it in last year at 70K miles. All in all, it was a decent car despite rather disappointing fuel economy. The extended warranty did come in handy on several occasions (MAF, window regulators, etc.) but in general, no major complaints. Wife was really sad to let it go as it was her first car.

Yep, the pass side door window reg failed on her causing the glass to drop down into the door. During cold weather and on the highway no less. IIRC, the local dealer replaced both front window regs free of charge.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:
As far as the 2.0, the 80's Audi 4000 1.8 weighed nearly as much, made less horsepower and was a very nice open freeway car.

Audi 4000: 2340/102 = 23 lb/hp
Jetta 2.0: 2900/115 = 25 lb/hp

You're right though that acceleration times are very comparable (around 10s 0-60). 30 years ago, that may have been a respectable number for a sporty sedan. Today, you'll find it difficult to get out of people's way with that kind of performance. But once you're at speed on the freeway, I agree you don't need much to keep you going.

Two things I remember about the Audi 4000. Good seats and it was a good freeway car. It was a real boxy car, didn't seem very aerodynamic, but you got the sense that it was Autobahn inspired by the way it would effortlessly roll at 70+mph. Acceleration? Not so much. Handling? Meh
21.gif
nothing outstanding. But it could cruise nicely. I kinda' hope the Jetta S does too. There's a lot to be said for a good freeway car.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Two things I remember about the Audi 4000. Good seats and it was a good freeway car. It was a real boxy car, didn't seem very aerodynamic, but you got the sense that it was Autobahn inspired by the way it would effortlessly roll at 70+mph.

When I was growing up, my dad owned the European version of 4000, which was a 1985 Audi 80. It had a 1.6l carburated engine (75hp). I used to get it up to about 90 mph, and that's with 4 people on board, but it would take a while to get there
smile.gif
I liked that car a lot. It was what inspired me to buy an A4 after I started earning my own money. I'm eying an S4 as a potential replacement for my 530i, although all these DI engine issues aren't exactly inviting...

I'd seriously consider a new lower end Focus, Cruze, or Elantra for the same $. All have much better powertrains and get much better mpg.

The Jetta S manual goes to 60 in 11 seconds. I couldn't imagine how slow an ATX would be.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01

The Jetta S manual goes to 60 in 11 seconds. I couldn't imagine how slow an ATX would be.

I see 9.8sec per the VW website.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01

According to spec sheet, the manual does 0 to 60 in 9.8 seconds. Automatic - 11 seconds.

But yeah, I'd give serious consideration to Elantra as well. The 10-year/100K powertrain warranty is nice.

C&D tested 11.0 for the manual S, and they are typically quicker than most. I know times can vary quite a bit per car, but either way, it would be awfully slow when loaded with 4. I've been there with a Focus ATX & Neon MTX (both more powerful, quicker, and lighter), and it wasn't fun getting up to speed with a family of 4 + A/C on. I'm sure it would be adequate as a commuter car for only 1.

Last edited:
Heck, our old 2.2 Impreza has more displacement, quite a bit more power and AWD with a slushbox, and can still beat the VW in fuel economy.
My older son's fiance has a 2003 Jetta 2.slow, and it can't come close to the fuel economy of either of our Accords, and barely matches that of our Forester, and is slower than any of them to boot.
What makes the 2.0 so gutless and so thirsty, for both fuel and oil?

Saw one today. I don't know if it was the S or SE but it had the plastic wheel covers.

I'm actually not as impressed with it in person.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Saw one today. I don't know if it was the S or SE but it had the plastic wheel covers.

I'm actually not as impressed with it in person.

The S comes standard with plastic wheel covers. Something I actually prefer!

After all, it's a Volkswagen! Aren't they supposed to be dumbed-down, inexpensive people-movers?!? Wasn't that the whole root of the thing back in the day that made them sell like hotcakes?

It's about time somebody got back to that IMO.

I guess I don't get the luxury/sporty high expectations people tend to associate with them.

Joel

[/quote]
Ill be the first one to argue that 115hp is MORE than enough for a 3000 lb car to drive across country, anywhere, over and over again safely.[/quote]

This has to be a joke. My 08 xb that weighs a little over 3000 lbs with 158 hp and 161 tq with a 5 speed manual is just barely enough power for such a heavy vehicle. I could not imagine driving around with 40 hp less with the same amount weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back