2011 Buick Enclave - Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: alaskanseminole
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Yes, it spells out Dexos in the owner's manual. I've read some places that M1 isn't good for GM vehicles. I've never owned a GM, so I don't know one way or the other. I've always used M1 in my Nissans and Mazdas.

So your saying that the factory fill on the Corvette and Z28 Camaro is bad for them...because you read "some places" say this.

Awesome
thumbsup2.gif

Let me be more specific. I've been reading (and looking at UAO reports posted on line) that the GM 3.6 DI v6 eats M1 for lunch. There's a 38-page thread on the enclaveforum where folks have been posting their results since 2010 and M1 isn't doing well in those GM engines.

My apologies for the generalization.

"Not doing well" is a bit ambiguous. In what way, or ways is it "not doing well"?

The phrases I'm reading from posters is "oil bashing" and "oil eating." UOAs are showing significantly higher iron, lower viscosity...etc. Here's one gentlemen's post. You're free to read through the pages yourself, though. That's what I did at the recommendation of a previous poster in this thread:

EnclaveForum Poster:

I'm going to post up the types of oil I used in the 6 UOAs posted here.

After changing the factory fill at 672 miles, I had the next 2 oil changes done at the dealer using the dealers bulk re-refined oil. That's right, never heard of it but this is captured used oil sent back to a refinery and "cleaned". The company doing this that provided this dealership with bulk quantities was Lyden Oil Company. The dealership used Lyden Proguard Eco 5W30. Here's a link to Lyden's website: http://www.lydenoil.com/proguard-eco.aspx Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree here. If this re-refined oil meets GM's latest specs, maybe just maybe this dino oil is the answer. Realize I never used this oil for any length of time/mileage. Also, don't think it's on your local FLAP's shelf.

The first 2 UOAs on my latest report reflect this re-refined dinosaur oil 5W30. Some observations:

Miles: 1,756...Iron 14...Climate: HOT

Miles: 2,603...Iron 18...Climate: COOL TO COLD

The next 2 UOAs reflect the use of MOBIL 1 5W30

Miles: 5,067...Iron 41...Climate: REAL COLD

Miles: 4,667...Iron 75...Climate: WARM

That increased iron # at 75 caused me to switch from MOBIL 1 to Pennzoil Platinum. You can see the up trend on Iron using Mobil 1. Also, this reflects where I'm taking the oil out to a longer interval.

These last 2 UOAs reflect the use of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30

Miles: 4,230...Iron 37...Climate: HOT

Miles: 3,236...Iron 25...Climate: REAL COLD

I'm feeling good about the fact that the iron # is trending down.

LINK: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=6113.220

Last edited:
Yeah I didnt read all the comments, but I remember seeing a guy here with one that was filthy. Low miles too.

Full synthetic and highway miles is the best you can do for that poor thing. Make sure the PCV and air filter are good too.

The phrases I'm reading from posters is "oil bashing" and "oil eating." UOAs are showing significantly higher iron, lower viscosity...etc. Here's one gentlemen's post. You're free to read through the pages yourself, though. That's what I did at the recommendation of a previous poster in this thread:

EnclaveForum Poster:

I'm going to post up the types of oil I used in the 6 UOAs posted here.

After changing the factory fill at 672 miles, I had the next 2 oil changes done at the dealer using the dealers bulk re-refined oil. That's right, never heard of it but this is captured used oil sent back to a refinery and "cleaned". The company doing this that provided this dealership with bulk quantities was Lyden Oil Company. The dealership used Lyden Proguard Eco 5W30. Here's a link to Lyden's website: http://www.lydenoil.com/proguard-eco.aspx Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree here. If this re-refined oil meets GM's latest specs, maybe just maybe this dino oil is the answer. Realize I never used this oil for any length of time/mileage. Also, don't think it's on your local FLAP's shelf.

The first 2 UOAs on my latest report reflect this re-refined dinosaur oil 5W30. Some observations:

Miles: 1,756...Iron 14...Climate: HOT

Miles: 2,603...Iron 18...Climate: COOL TO COLD

The next 2 UOAs reflect the use of MOBIL 1 5W30

Miles: 5,067...Iron 41...Climate: REAL COLD

Miles: 4,667...Iron 75...Climate: WARM

That increased iron # at 75 caused me to switch from MOBIL 1 to Pennzoil Platinum. You can see the up trend on Iron using Mobil 1. Also, this reflects where I'm taking the oil out to a longer interval.

These last 2 UOAs reflect the use of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30

Miles: 4,230...Iron 37...Climate: HOT

Miles: 3,236...Iron 25...Climate: REAL COLD

I'm feeling good about the fact that the iron # is trending down.

LINK: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=6113.220

A few interesting notes:

1. According to the official DEXOS list, that oil is not DEXOS approved, so that dealer is potentially voiding part of the warranty if he has an oil related engine failure. Official list here:

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

2. Given the non-approved oil, it may very well have been leaving deposits, which can contain wear metals, which the Mobil product, and then subsequently, the SOPUS product began flushing out.

3. The engine has extremely low miles. It is NORMAL for a new engine to shed high levels of wear metals as it breaks in. It would then trend down once break-in has completed. That's not what is shown here.

4. UOA's do not directly measure wear, they measure contamination, and it is measured across a very narrow range of particle sizes. Subsequently, one cannot conclude that the Mobil and SOPUS products were providing less protection against wear than the re-refined, non-approved lubricant.

5. Two UOA's isn't a trend.

6. You may want to read the article by Doug Hillary on how UOA's are to be used: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/

One would assume, given GM's relationship with Mobil, that their product, which is on the GM approved oil list, meet the protection requirements for the engine. Without tear-down analysis with real measurements (which I'm sure GM has done), we really have no idea what the numbers this guy is seeing mean in the context of his equipment.

Would I want to see these numbers with my own equipment? No. But I would also have done two additional runs with the Mobil product to see if up was indeed the direction things seemed inclined to be going. Jumping between oils doesn't allow any form of trending to happen and each engine/oil combo will have its own "signature" or "profile" which means that you can't simply compare the results from one oil to another and glean useful information about wear. The numbers you see may not in any way reflect what's actually happening if things were taken apart and measured.

OVERKILL,

"Two UOA's isn't a trend." I agree...I chose to only copy/paste one post from a 38-page thread where posters have continuously posted UOAs and coming to an almost unified conclusion that M1 doesn't work well with the DI 3.6 engines.

I'm no expert, but I'm leaning towards 5+ years of conversations with UOAs...all leading to the same conclusion for Enclave owners probably has some merit.

I'm not going link every UOA from that forum, so I recommend to you (or anyone in this thread) if you want more data to read through the pages and come to your own conclusion.

As for your other comments, there is definitely some good info in there; especially regarding break-in period.

Thanks!

As for the, Buick, after 38 pages of reading on the enclaveforum, I think I'm going to go with the Penz Plat. I'd rather go with the Ultra, but I don't want to void my warranty since I'm still under 100K. If UOA gives me good results with PP, I'll likely switch to the Penz Ultra at 100K.

Ultra is dexos1 approved. I know they used to be on, then off, dexos1, but they are currently officially dexos1.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
As for the, Buick, after 38 pages of reading on the enclaveforum, I think I'm going to go with the Penz Plat. I'd rather go with the Ultra, but I don't want to void my warranty since I'm still under 100K. If UOA gives me good results with PP, I'll likely switch to the Penz Ultra at 100K.

Ultra is dexos1 approved. I know they used to be on, then off, dexos1, but they are currently officially dexos1.

Awesome!

Thanks!

Awesome!
Thanks!

Sure, it always confused me as to why Ultra was off/on the dexos1 list too. It is easier to get PP though. Walmart's 5-quart jug deal now has it. I might be stuck on Castrol Edge right now, a good oil that does use titanium-moly-boron, all three for anti-wear duties. I might switch to Kendall GT-1 in the future since they actually tell us their low wear number results and they use the titanium-moly-boron anti-wear approach too.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

Awesome!
Thanks!

Sure, it always confused me as to why Ultra was off/on the dexos1 list too. It is easier to get PP though. Walmart's 5-quart jug deal now has it. I might be stuck on Castrol Edge right now, a good oil that does use titanium-moly-boron, all three for anti-wear duties. I might switch to Kendall GT-1 in the future since they actually tell us their low wear number results and they use the titanium-moly-boron anti-wear approach too.

I wish they made it in 6qt jug. I need that extra qt to get me to full. Le Sigh....first world problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back