2010 Prius - What oil to slow down burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did the change with pennzoil high mileage 5w30... I was going to pull the plugs but it is more labor intensive than I thought.... My car is cake, but the Prius requires the removal of the cowl assembly so ill do that within the next few weeks.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Gokhan

There is no evidence at all that 0W-20 causes increased engine wear in newer Toyota engines. 0W-20 is only slightly thinner than 5W-30. In fact, I run 0W-20 in my 1985 Corolla successfully without any wear issues.

However, there are certainly a number of faithful Prius owners with oil consumption issues. And, in each and every case I've read about, engine wear is the issue. I'd guess that it's a really low quality engine, then...

Or could it be that a super thin oil simply finds its way past the rings of a engine with some time on it???? (this is my best guess, and that's all it is)

That's funny, looking over at Prius chat forums I haven't noticed any great problems with oil consumption. Unless you're talking about relatively small amounts like 1/2 quart every 5k miles or something, which I agree is relatively common.

Other than that it's mostly just the really high mileage guys that are reporting big consumption, like one quart every 1000 or so. But these guys are often around 300k miles or so, which is a freakin' lot for a little 1.5L 4-banger hauling 3700+ Lbs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back