2009 Honda Fit AC Troubleshooting

Recharged the AC and got readings of 30 psi low side and 150 psi high side. When I get up above 35 mph the AC begins to fade. I pulled over and checked my pressures 3 psi low side and 125 psi high side. If I let the car idle in the driveway, the AC will blow cold for 20 minutes, but once I begin driving down the road it fades and doesn't come back until the car has sat for a period of time. I'm at a loss on where the problem may lie. Welcoming any and all suggestions.

Are you sure the clutch is engaging? Could it be working temporarily when you first start the car and when things heat up the resistance in the electromechanical clutch goes up and the clutch stops engaging? Get out and verify that compressor is engaging. Your problem might just be an excessive air gap on the clutch.

Certainly sounds low on refrigerant still. Your low side should be about 30 PSI. At 3, plus a low high-side pressure, sounds like the inlet to the compressor is at a vacuum level. Did you evacuate and weigh the charge in?

Certainly sounds low on refrigerant still. Your low side should be about 30 PSI. At 3, plus a low high-side pressure, sounds like the inlet to the compressor is at a vacuum level. Did you evacuate and weigh the charge in?
Yes, I did weigh the charge. Book calls for 14oz of refrigerant and I put in 13.8. Would I hurt anything by putting in another ounce or two?

No - just don’t do too much. Edit: My 2013 Fit says 13.1 to 14.8 Oz. You should see both low and high respond. See the note about the pressure switch in the below drawing. It’s likely activated at speed to protect the compressor. 196 kPa is 28 PSI.

IMG_0066.png

Are you sure the clutch is engaging? Could it be working temporarily when you first start the car and when things heat up the resistance in the electromechanical clutch goes up and the clutch stops engaging? Get out and verify that compressor is engaging. Your problem might just be an excessive air gap on the clutch.
No - just don’t do too much. Edit: My 2013 Fit says 13.1 to 14.8 Oz. You should see both low and high respond. See the note about the pressure switch in the below drawing. It’s likely activated at speed to protect the compressor. 196 kPa is 28 PSI.

View attachment 159317
Thank you for that chart. Very informative. I brought the refrigerant level up to 14.2oz. Low side 38psi and high side 155psi. Went for a 4 mile drive and am still suffering the same problem: AC fades after going 35+ mph. Pressures after drive low side 9psi and high side 115 psi.

Thank you for that chart. Very informative. I brought the refrigerant level up to 14.2oz. Low side 38psi and high side 155psi. Went for a 4 mile drive and am still suffering the same problem: AC fades after going 35+ mph. Pressures after drive low side 9psi and high side 115 psi.
Feel all the lines on the high side. If none have a cold spot replace the expansion valve.

Feel all the lines on the high side. If none have a cold spot replace the expansion valve.
I let the car sit for a few hours and o
I let the car sit for a few hours. After starting it, the AC was blowing cold and pressures were low side 9psi and high side 115psi. After revving the engine a few times, the pressures were low side 35psi and high side 155psi. The lines on the high side were not cold. The metal portion of the high side line was hot to the touch.

Does 2009 Honda use variable displacement compressor ? If so maybe the control valve is bad. This valve can possibly be replaced instead of entire compressor.

Back