2009 Honda Civic Oil/Filter Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who HAS gone through a warranty claim and HAD to prove that I followed what the MFG required (I did better) all you have to do is make a record of your maintenance, your purchases and keep them straight.

I buy all my oil when on sale and quite a bit of it was 2-3 year old receipts. They DID check to make sure I used the CORRECT oil and filters that the engine required.

I have NEVER gone to the dealer for a oil change. Even when they were free.

Today I would take them up on it if it was a reasonable no hassle deal.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I have NEVER gone to the dealer for a oil change. Even when they were free.

Even when I was getting my 1st free oil change courtesy of the Honda dealer, the buffoons overfilled my oil and much to my dismay, when I complained, they corrected me (and the owner's manual) by showing me a sign reading 4.8 quarts which was the incorrect amount from what is in the manual (4.5 quarts).

Subesequent to this, I began to use the Goodyear Gemini shop and they were good for about 3, well scrutinized/QAd by me but when they didn't use the Honda filter I brought and put one of their house filters, I realized I would have to do my own oil changes.

This is why I began to do my own oil changes.

I have to agree with Bill in Utah that all of this is an institutional problem and you are better off NOT even getting FREE oil changes from anyone (dealers, lube shops etc) because they will screw anything up when YOU give them a opportunity to.

I just purchased a 2009 Civic. I notice in the owners manual the service intervals are determined by the maintenance minder system. If this is not based on milage, what are the service intervals base on??

It is based on the same things as the GM OLM system.

Temps(coolant, outside, intake), RPMs, How much fuel, Idling, Throttle, Load and many other items.

Trust it with any SM rated 5w-20 conventional oil.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
It is based on the same things as the GM OLM system.

Temps(coolant, outside, intake), RPMs, How much fuel, Idling, Throttle, Load and many other items.

Trust it with any SM rated 5w-20 conventional oil.

Bill

Excellent advice. There is no need to change it early or within a prescribed mileage. Go with the MM and make arrangements for service work once the MM prompts you to do so (at 15% oil life).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back