2009-2011 Genesis 4.6 V8

Basically, I am looking at a few of 2009-2011 Hyundai Genesis with the 4.6 V8 only. Why? Because they are the same price used as the 3.8 v6s, but have more power. So does anyone here have the one with the V8? Any feedback on it? Do you know if it has any issues or common problems? I just love the idea of a <7 year old luxury sedan with a V8 for $10000-$14000, considering it was $40k+ new.

C&D Long Term

They seem to think it missed the mark, and I tend to agree with them. If you want a big car with a V8 and gadgets, you can't go wrong. If you want a proper luxury car, keep looking.

I would consider the 5.0 R-Spec in that model but we do know a couple that own a 4.6 v8 and they are perfectly happy with it. They are not driving enthusiasts but regular folk who wanted a nice, reliable, spacious entry level near-luxury vehicle.

Yes, I realize it is not an actual luxury vehicle, but for the money I feel like it's a steal, considering it's size and capabilities. Perfect family hauler, and I heard it's pretty comfortable on long trips too. The only thing I am concerned about is the long term reliability of the 4.6L and the whole drivetrain.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Yes, a decidedly ordinary car in almost every way...

Ordinary compared to what? Other V8 RWD near luxury cars?

If so, sign me up AsAP!

I think the main reason the price is so low is because of the current generation is so nice. The current generation used car prices are pretty high. Every year that passes Hyundais seem to improve dramatically. So the newer you can get the better. I'd focus on a 2011. I would test drive both the V6 and V8 then see which one you prefer.

Don't take these numbers to be exact but from what I can tell somewhere around 90% of the people that actually own a Genesis speak very highly of it while about 90% of the people who don't own a Genesis speak poorly. Be careful who's opinion you listen....

Originally Posted By: Rodraid
Don't take these numbers to be exact but from what I can tell somewhere around 90% of the people that actually own a Genesis speak very highly of it while about 90% of the people who don't own a Genesis speak poorly. Be careful who's opinion you listen....

I wonder where all those used Genesis' come from then?

Or are you suggesting people that test drive them and don't like them are somehow wrong because they didn't buy them to find out they didn't actually like them?

5 years later, an we finally bought the 2009 Huyndai Genesis 4.6L. 90k on the ODO. Will post pictures after it gets cleaned up a little. That thing is quite a powerhouse, and 22-24mpg average so far is quite nice, especially considering the power. Bought it to replace the 2008 Infiniti M35 that burned down, and this thing is quite an upgrade. Better MPG, more power, and more modern feel to interior fit & finish as well as multimedia. Nearly identical ride quality between the two, with slight upper edge to the Genesis on comfort.
Who wants to guess what oil it's getting? ;)
Now just gotta research what to use for ATF/Coolant/etc.

Last edited:
Little help here for anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future.
Looks like 4.6L V8 came with ZF 6HP26 transmission. (3.8L V6 Genesis came with Aisin transmission) Owners Manual specs "ATF M 1375.4" for ATF fluid. BITOG Search bar indicates that this transmission came in tons of European and some American cars and many have used Valvoline MaxLife ATF with success. That's what I plan to use going forward.

Little help here for anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future.
Looks like 4.6L V8 came with ZF 6HP26 transmission. (3.8L V6 Genesis came with Aisin transmission) Owners Manual specs "ATF M 1375.4" for ATF fluid. BITOG Search bar indicates that this transmission came in tons of European and some American cars and many have used Valvoline MaxLife ATF with success. That's what I plan to use going forward.
mercon sp is m1375.4

Original spark plugs at 96k miles. Bank 2 (left set of 4 on the picture) has a bad upstream O2 sensor. Runs rough for a Genesis, but still smoother than my other cars in healthy state. New upstream O2 sensors for both banks should arrive in couple days.

20220315_112856_HDR.jpg
20220315_112842_HDR.jpg

Quick 120k mile update...

- No parts are ever at any of the local stores. Everything and anything has to be ordered. So we just order stuff ourselves to save a penny.
- This Genesis hates aftermarket stuff. Aftermarket "O2" sensors (fronts) made it go crazy, and it took a set of OEM Bosch sensors to bring it back to sanity. Aftermarket EVAP Vent valve caused a permanent CEL. So replaced both EVAP Vent and Purge valves with OEM (due to stalling issue) and all is good now.
- Did 4 ATF Drain & Fills in one day, and driving feel and overall shift smoothness improved dramatically. Valvoline Maxlife FTW.
- Currently on cold start there is a slight vibration that we're hunting. SNAP-ON computer didn't reveal any sensor issues. Motor and transmission mounts look great, so don't think vibration is from them. Looking at cleaning the throttle body, and possibly replacing IAC valve and VVT solenoid. Throwing parts at it at this point. Professional mechanics with expensive computers just give us a "dear in the headlights" look and send us on our way. Tried multiple.
- Otherwise the car still does great as daily and on trips, tons of power, dashboard keeps on cracking, and that mighty V8 keeps returning 21MPG city and 28MPG highway. Allegedly does 140MPH pretty easily. Keeps consuming about 1qt of M1 0W-40 per 5000 mile OCI. More if Castrol Edge 0W-40 is used.
- Also the alternator may be due for a 3rd replacement, but I blame that on DuraLast quality and their Lifetime warranty will keep supplying new ones. Pretty easy to change once the rad fans are out of the way. Note to self: DO NOT TRY TO REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR FROM THE BOTTOM.

Last edited:
Well... Apparently "Limited Lifetime Warranty" from AutoZone translates to "We only replace our defective stuff once". They refused to replace it, since it was already replaced once a year ago, but I was able to get the manager on my side due to alternator bearing being completely shot.
Either way, alternator #4 just went in. Let's see if it can last over a year lol.

These plastics take 10mins to remove.
PXL_20230825_153804778.jpg

Korean 4.6L V8 in all its glory. It pulls great! Only 375HP, but on a rolling start it keeps up with the 5.0L 420HP Coyote, until Coyote slowly starts to pull away after 130MPH. *Done on closed course with professional drivers*
Avg MPG: still 21 around town, 28-29 highway.
PXL_20230825_153815372.jpg

Fan held by two 10mm bolts up top, and click in on the bottom. Hardest part is to wiggle it out between the radiator hoses and metal cooling lines.
PXL_20230825_154659086.jpg

Notice how shiny the alternator is, it's only been there for a little over a year, before the shaft bearings took a dump.
PXL_20230825_154705319.jpg

It's my sister's car, she is usually pretty good about checking her oil. But it did take two quarts this time to get the oil level to "F" on the dipstick.
See ya on the next episode of 2009 Hyundai Genesis Adventures!

Nice. Enjoy. Sounds great. Ive been wanting one. Timing to buy never is right. Top of my list for an affordable and mostly dependable v-8 rwd. Hammer down

Back