2008 Volvo XC90 Headlight Restoration

Bought me my first Harbor Freight headlight restore kit for $15.00 & went to work. Three hours worth of work. The passenger side needed a little bit more but I was beat & the wife was happy. These lenses were pretty beat up. I'll try to get some more lifespan out of them before or if I have to buy the $250 replacements.

https://www.harborfreight.com/delux...transaction_id=102990087c61ca072da963a14413a3

IMG_20240503_170139.jpg

IMG_20240503_184759.jpg

the most important part of this process ( the one most people forget) is applying a UV resistant top Coating...generally Auto motive clear coat works well.
I'm pedantic enough to spend $30 or so for each car before they have issues*, and apply Pre-cut 3M film... essentially PPF...

*2 cars back(2005 neon), I had to replace the light assemblies, as they had that kind of damage, but also lots of fine cracks. I got film for the new lenses before i installed them.
both cars since, (bought 5 years old,~60k mi) they've luckily still been in good condition, and Applying said Film is one of the first things i do.
Just had to put a new set of films on the Cmax, after replacing a stubborn leaking/condensating R headlamp assembly. place i order from sells the pre-cut film by the pair (Can't just get a left or Right cut.), so replaced both.

I did the First job on the neon back in '12? last I saw the car ( some time in '18-19) it belonged to my buddy's active duty little brother, and the lamps were still as clear as they day i put them in.

Absolutely, I agree & I plan on seeing if wally world has anything. Unfortunately, that HF kid didn't come with that last UV coating which is not great. I'll probably just spray some clear coat over them & gamble w/it. I'll figure something out as I would love to get this to last for a while.

Thanks for all the suggestions & sharing. @LazyDog I just placed an order for that UV spray from Oreilly's & should be ready Tuesday morning. $16.19 but I figured it was cheaper than new headlights. :giggle:

@Astro14 Thanks for sharing your direction on your family's XC90. That suv looks pristine.

16 years of Texas weather really did some damage to these lenses but I'll keep at them for as long as I care to for now. :cool: PF tested some headlights & got like 300-500 more lumen's out of them after using a restore product. I did change out the low beam bulbs to Sylvania Ultra's that I've been replacing on vehicles of mine for many years now.

Before I did any lens repairs I took a pic before I replaced the passenger side bulb to see what the difference was. Granted that was the side the sun was beaming down so not really noticeable.
IMG_20240324_141337.jpg

New Sylvania Ultra bult on the passenger side (left)

IMG_20240324_142614.jpg

This is with both lenses restored & with both new Sylvania Ultra's bulbs installed.
IMG_20240504_123351.jpg

Last edited:
Back