2008 Ranger 2.3 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

I'm just itching to bond with my new Ranger and change the factory/break-in oil. I've got 1100 miles on it and I'm trying to figure out which oil and oil filter to employ. My commute to work is 1.3 miles, made when the engine is cold (about freezing temperature). Several times during the day, I might drive the truck between 5 and 20 miles. My Ranger came with the 5-speed automatic transmission. Should I seriously consider performing some early preventive maintenance on that -- or elsewhere? I've heard some folk impugn the quality of Ford automatic transmissions; I'd like to do everything I can practically do to make sure mine continues to put out.

I have the mental image of shrapnel running wild inside my engine/transmission, since it is quite new. Is this accurate?

Thank you folks for sharing your time and wisdom.

-Chad

welcome2.gif

For you trans, I'd get a Mangefine. There's a Ford part number for it so there shouldn't be a warranty deal involved. I don't know if you have hard lines or rubber ..but either way, the install "can" be preformed at the dealer. When you do ultimately service the fluid, consider a synthetic ATF like (cough-cough) Amsoil.

For the engine, any 5w-20 based on that description of use. If you had a typical annual mileage figure it would be a little easier to see if a synthetic works in terms of bang for your buck.

Quote:
(cough-cough) Amsoil.

LOL.gif

I use Amsoil ATF in 3 different cars, so I would recommend it. Gary or Pablo are the one's to deal with.

Engine oil, hard to beat Pennzoil Platinum.

Not sure if your Rnager has a tranny pan drain plug or not. If it doesn't then I would definitely put one in next time you take the pan off. Drain and refills don't become a nightmare anymore.

Might want to check warranty info first though.

Thank you folks! Two questions remaining -- what's a mangefine, and which oil filter do you recommend? :)

I used Havoline 5w20 at 1.5k, 3.5k and at 8.5k I used PP 5w20 and PureOne filters and 8-10k oci after that. I think at 22k it's starting to loosen up some so I think if you did a longer initial break-in you'd be better off. With your short trips I'd use MC or Havoline 5w20 every 5k. Your engine will not warm up in fact this engine takes much longer than any other engine I've had. The 3.0L Duratec warms up almost instantly in our Escape.

On the transmission filter use a permacool or similiar setup. It would be much cheaper in the long run just having to use a $5 oil filer compared to a $15 magnefine. You'll have no problems with the transmission with regular fluid changes, pretty much bullet proof. Use a magnefine on the power steering if you choose to do so. I would go through and change the most fluids at 5k. The transmission, diff I changed at 5k and they were nasty. The brake and ps fluid wasn't to much better, I haven't did my brakes yet.

Congrats on the Ranger. Sadly I love mine but with a baby on the way and having a regular cab they don't mix.

Originally Posted By: chasdaman
Thank you folks! Two questions remaining -- what's a mangefine, and which oil filter do you recommend? :)

..and I recommend an (he-hem) Amsoil EaO33

Hey Gary,

Recommend away. No Cough Cough .. he-hem needed. If they'd like an alternate then provide. We can see you are an AMSOIL Dealer and Site Sponsor. Beside no one (at least important, LOL) complains the stuff does not perform. Maybe they don't seem to like other aspects of the company but the products ROCK!!!

Oh and everyone else deal with Pablo or Gary.

Tom

LOL.gif
I'm just trying to add some comedy here
LOL.gif
I just forgot all the stuff I usually include when I'm talking to someone on the street. Ever see one of them walking billboards?

Well, I have a poncho version. Here's the art

topbanner.jpg
usdealer.jpg
Ea_header2.gif

That's when the (cough-cough) really has impact.
thumbsup2.gif

j/k
grin2.gif

In my 96 Ranger 4.0l 4wd, I switched out my FF tranny fluid to Amsoil Universal ATF at 80k when I noticed a bit of slippage. I also added a Permacool remote filter mount that uses standard Ford filters so that I can easily change the filter and monitor ATF too. It cleared the slippage problem and now at 127k the tranny fluid is still clear and bright red. I also changed the rear end to Amsoil 75w90 which cured he rear end "clunk" that the truck had since new.

The engine has had a varied diet of Castrol Syntech and Mobil 1 until 80k at 3k OCI's. Since then it has had Amsoil at 10k intervals based on oil analysis. Hands down the Amsoil S2K 0w30 has been the best that I can find. My cars like it better than the HDD 5w30 and I have not tried the new 0w30 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back