2008 Honda Ridgeline with crazy driver!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No the crazy driver is not me,its my wife! That beeing said, I currently have PU 5w20 in it, but because of her rather spirited driving style, should I move it up to a 5w30 for the summer? I just went for a ride with her this morning and what a ride it was! I need a drink now! Thanks

Better control that wife of yours. I hope she won't drive like that with kids in the car.

Kids are all grown now so worries there. Its like riding in a NASCAR race with her and shes messin with the radio and her phone at the same time while im in the pass seat bracing for impact!

A quality 5W-30 would probably be just fine in Texas. How often are you changing the oil? These Honda V-6 engines are smooth as silk, but wear numbers don't look all that great when oil changes are extended. Even on synthetic, I keep our MDX (same engine) to 5,000 mile OCIs.

Speaking of driving crazy. This morning I`m on my way to work, I`m in the passing lane to pass a few cars. I look in the mirror and I`v got this 2004 or so Jeep Liberty glued to my rear. I got up to 80mph to pass the people, and just to get out of this clowns way. After I got back in the right lane, he floored it probably up to 100mph. Okay so he likes to drive fast, but in a Jeep Liberty? What ever I guess. Oh and the 5W-20 PU is a fine oil, no need to switch.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Speaking of driving crazy. This morning I`m on my way to work, I`m in the passing lane to pass a few cars. I look in the mirror and I`v got this 2004 or so Jeep Liberty glued to my rear. I got up to 80mph to pass the people, and just to get out of this clowns way. After I got back in the right lane, he floored it probably up to 100mph. Okay so he likes to drive fast, but in a Jeep Liberty? What ever I guess. Oh and the 5W-20 PU is a fine oil, no need to switch.

If it was a 08 Silver liberty, It could have been my wife.......
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

If it was a 08 Silver liberty, It could have been my wife.......
crazy.gif

Makes a person a little weary of buying used vehicles the way people beat the [censored] out of them.

Originally Posted By: porkchop01
Kids are all grown now so worries there. Its like riding in a NASCAR race with her and shes messin with the radio and her phone at the same time while im in the pass seat bracing for impact!
Have a talk with her, some lady just ran over a bunch of Motorcycle riders while on the cell phone. didnt even hit the brakes, Felony charges are being filed. its against the law to use a cell phone here while driving,, cops are pulling people over and ticketing them $200 a pop..

Just FYI, Honda originally specified 5w30 for all the J series V6 engines which is what you have. They changed the spec to 5w20 in the year 2000 or 2001, presumably for fuel efficiency as they kept the 5w30 spec outside of north america. Either way, my J series v6 from 1999 has 225,xxx on it and ran 5w20 conventional for most that time and still runs great even though it sees the rev limit all the time, I wouldn't worry about the engine and the oil its using. I'd worry more about the transmission.....

How many accidents has she had in the past 5 years that she was at fault for?

If none, then forget about trying to get her to change her driving habits. She's obviously doing something right to drive spiritedly, and yet not have any accidents.

BC.

Originally Posted By: pakstl
Just FYI, Honda originally specified 5w30 for all the J series V6 engines which is what you have. They changed the spec to 5w20 in the year 2000 or 2001, presumably for fuel efficiency as they kept the 5w30 spec outside of north america. Either way, my J series v6 from 1999 has 225,xxx on it and ran 5w20 conventional for most that time and still runs great even though it sees the rev limit all the time, I wouldn't worry about the engine and the oil its using. I'd worry more about the transmission.....
So far the trans seems fine, I've done all the maint to the car from bumper to bumper and just wasnt sure that the 20 wt oil was up to the hard driving, but I guess it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

How many accidents has she had in the past 5 years that she was at fault for?

If none, then forget about trying to get her to change her driving habits. She's obviously doing something right to drive spiritedly, and yet not have any accidents.

BC.
No accidents since we have been married 22 years ago. I think she has just been lucky!

I have 5W-30 in my Ridge currently but I plan to go back to 5W-20 for my next OC. Didn't do any harm but see no need for the 30 in my neck of tne woods. Plus, I have plenty of 20 in my stash and my Legend has more frequent oil changes so she gets the 30.

Makes a person a little weary of buying used vehicles the way people beat the [censored] out of them.
I flog my car but take care of it. But the definition of "flogging" is different from person-to-person as is their maintenance morals, so I'm the same way: I tend to stay away from used for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back