2008 Acura RDX leaking oil porous enginr block??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who has a 2008 Acura RDX he purchased new. After trying to get a leak fixed the dealer said the engine block is porous that is why its leaking. They are replacing the shortblock. He asked me what I thought. At first I thought he was mistaken. I googled this and it has happened to others, He has had car 3 years so I dont think he can lemon it. Any advice you can pass along, has anyone ever heared of this.

Ray

Typical Honda quality. Poor block castings are very common. Thats what the warranty is for. How would an oil leak qualify under a lemon law? I would think for a vehicle to be classified a lemon it would need to have several issues that cannot be resolved. The manufacturer has stepped up to replace the block. End of story as this should remedy the shoddy Japanese casting.

The definition of porous would mean it is weeping through the metal itself. I doubt it.

If it's really, really leaky through gaskets and seals, then perhaps that's the issue.

Lots of "much better than average" red circles on the CR website for this vehicle. Keep us posted.

I would be glad they found the leak and are willing to fix it completely. Basically, the 3 year old engine gets replaced with a new one...that's a good thing...

I remember similar conversation with my SIL several years ago when her Pathfinder threw a rod with only 50,000 on the engine. Nissan was replacing the short block under warranty. She was concerned about the future longeveity of the engine. I told her not to worry, if the guys do a good job, it will be fine, if they don't, you'll know soon...

That Pathfinder now has 240,000 on it...

Originally Posted By: Beagle2000
Typical Honda quality. Poor block castings are very common. Thats what the warranty is for. How would an oil leak qualify under a lemon law? I would think for a vehicle to be classified a lemon it would need to have several issues that cannot be resolved. The manufacturer has stepped up to replace the block. End of story as this should remedy the shoddy Japanese casting.

Why did I get 227k out of my 2001 Civic without major oil leaks?
Why do/did I currently get 106k out of my 2005 CR-V with zero oil leaks or burning between oil changes?
Why do I drive my 2008 Pilot with zero leaks or consumption with its seemingly "poor" V6 that I bet the RDX shares?

Please give us some facts on why the Japanese castings are bad? Also please let us know if this is your opinion.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
The definition of porous would mean it is weeping through the metal itself. I doubt it.

If it's really, really leaky through gaskets and seals, then perhaps that's the issue.

Lots of "much better than average" red circles on the CR website for this vehicle. Keep us posted.

Here is post I found from another owner:
http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682932

While that Acurazine Forum stated the same problem, the lack of understanding in the thread was hilarious!

Advice on engines from other Acura owners who don't know what an engine block is! You gotta' read the whole thing...

Originally Posted By: Beagle2000

Why did I get 227k out of my 2001 Civic without major oil leaks?
Why do/did I currently get 106k out of my 2005 CR-V with zero oil leaks or burning between oil changes?
Why do I drive my 2008 Pilot with zero leaks or consumption with its seemingly "poor" V6 that I bet the RDX shares?

Please give us some facts on why the Japanese castings are bad? Also please let us know if this is your opinion.

I believe the RDX has its own engine, it is a turbo engine of some sort. Don't know much about the vehicle itself.
I currently have a 2011 Honda and totally satisfied with it so far
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
While that Acurazine Forum stated the same problem, the lack of understanding in the thread was hilarious!

Advice on engines from other Acura owners who don't know what an engine block is! You gotta' read the whole thing...

Agreed, alot of misinformation out there

We've had six Hondas, and they seem pretty much immune to external oil leaks, going back to our first, a '76 Civic CVCC 1500.
Some later engines, like our '97 Accord, can have easily fixed spark plug tube o-ring leaks. Not a big deal, and it was an easy fix.
German cars are another matter.
We've had two BMWs, a VW and four Benzes, and all of them developed oil leaks.
Hondas?
Don't think so.
Low quality JAPANESE castings?
What are you smokin'?

It's happened before...on the 1999 and 2000 Jeeps with the 4.0 Liter, the heads were cast inferiorly and started weeping/leaking coolant into the oil sump at about 90k.

Do a search under "0331 head" and you'll find plenty of documentation.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

It's happened before...on the 1999 and 2000 Jeeps with the 4.0 Liter, the heads were cast inferiorly and started weeping/leaking coolant into the oil sump at about 90k.

Do a search under "0331 head" and you'll find plenty of documentation.

I can believe the issue. I'm just looking for data on Honda's. I'm also surprised that the venerable 4.0 Jeep engine had these issues......I thought it was bulletproof.

My question however, is "weeping" considered to be leaking through poor castings/cracks, or is it really seeping through the metal?

....Why do I drive my 2008 Pilot with zero leaks or consumption with its seemingly "poor" V6 that I bet the RDX shares?

You'd lose that bet. The RDX has an inline 4, 2.3 liter turbocharged engine. It doesn't share this engine with any other platform. It's produced at the Anna, Ohio engine plant (AEP)

But I agree with what you are saying. I have owned several Hondas with nothing but trouble-free miles. My wife has an RDX and with 86,000 miles she hasn't had a single problem.

I have heard of several instances of porous castings. Here's how it was explained to me:

When the casting is poured, the casting mould fills from multiple directions through the mould cavities. It's possible that when two fronts of liquid metal come together, they don't completely bond due to an oxide layer on the liquid surfaces. That seam becomes a place where oil can weep through.

I've heard of this problem on oilpans, and it wouldn't surprise me that it could happen in an engine block due to its complex shape. I wouldn't expect this to be a big problem, especially with Honda engines. Their quality control is stellar. I know a few of the Metallurgists at AEP, and I have discussed this engine with them.

When I was in college I had a summer job at a foundary, and I'm very familiar with casting defects. They go thrugh numerous machining and inspection steps. If there's even a possiblility of a defect, the casting will get rejected. But if there is no visible sign of a defect, it can get through to a production vehicle. That's what the warranty is for.

Google search " Honda quality decline" and get back to me in 6 months when you have finished reading all the negative comments from Honda owners and there opinion of Honda's present manufacturing standards.
Haven't seen a new Honda store built recently that didn't have at least 70% of the building as service department.
I'm sure all those stalls are not for checking tire pressures and oil changes.
Honda is clearly having similar issues to Toyota when it comes to quality.

Happy reading!!!

Here are 3 I found with little effort.

http://repairpal.com/porous-engine-block-casting-may-cause-engine-oil-leaks-529

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-gen/331548-2006-2009-warranty-extension-engine-blocks.html

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/sitemap/index.php/t-141747.html

Last edited:
So the porous leaks come from a seam....I can understand that.
I apologize for some of my previous comments, but I'd still like info on why Honda was singled out vs. other manufacturers. It pertains to me and my vehicles.

Thanks for all the input and there's no use arguing others' input based on Internet searches. I could put "Chevy" into a Google search and come up with years of fodder here. I love Chevy, especially considering my grandpa and dad worked for them and I drove them without fail for years.

Last edited:
These comments are from Honda forums.
I work in the auto industry and can tell you first hand there appears to be a building dissatisfaction with Honda products and service in my area.
Just my observation after hearing many comments from my clients.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm curious how they could diagnose it at the dealer level. I can only imagine it was rather obvious to them.

This car was back to dealer for this issue a couple of times(its his wifes car and he was unsure the exact number, plus he is definately not a car guy) Last trip they put dye in oil and said it was the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back