2007 Silverado Crew Cab oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2007 Silverado crew cab z71 4x4 about 3000 miles ago and it's time for an oil change and I'm looking for recommendations. The truck has just over 81,100 miles on the 5.3 with active fuel management. The used car dealer that I bought it from put Castrol Gtx 5w30 with a Fram oil filter on just before I bought it and that's really all I know about the history. I live in western Arkansas and most of my driving is Hwy, but I don't mind taking it down dirt roads if I need/want to.

Since I really don't know the oil history for the last 80,000 miles, I thought I would turn to y'all for some advice and tips. After reading on the site and forum I know I made the right choice.

If any more information is need just let me know...

Thanks for all the help!

-Joe

Hey Joe, I have a 5.3 Chevy too. Since its out of warranty like yours, use a good dino (Pennz, Mobil, QS, Val., etc.) for 5000 miles. Or if you prefer, a syn (Mobil 1, Synpower, Pennz Platinum, etc,) for 7500. You will be fine. The 5.3 is a great engine, almost bulletproof.

I use Quaker State in my Ford 4.6 and it runs quiet as can be. Ultimate Durability full syn. is your best bet.

Thanks for the couple of reply's! Another quick question, do you think I should stick with 5w30 or go to something like 10w30 or 10w40? It looks like me truck used a little oil...

Thanks

-Joe

Nah, stick with the 5W30. My neighbor has a 2000 GMC Yukon with almost 300,000 miles on it and he runs 5W30 conventional. (what ever is on sale)

Either one will be fine. I prefer 10-30, since it never gets cold where I live, and the vis spread is less. In Arkansas, 10-30 and 5-30 are for most all intents, the same performance wise.

Mine also recommends 5-20 or 5-30, but I use 10-30 and I think it runs better than when I had 5-20 in it.

If I'm not mistaken, that engine requires a GM6094M spec'd oil. That is a cold pumpability spec that may not be so much of an issue where you live.

My 04 Avalanche with the 5.3 had very good UOAs on just about any name brand dino oil in 5w-30. I did some towing near the truck's limit (ended up replacing it with a diesel). UOAs were always good with the dino oil.

I'd stick with the 5w-30. If you can find a 10w-30 that meets the spec, it probably wouldn't hurt to use it in the summer. I just see no upside for doing so. I guess price could be the upside.

Use a 5w-30 and replace your pcv and make sure your air filter is good. Is this a new body silverado or a silverado classic. If it has MDS or whatever GM calls it use 5W-30. I had an 08 Tahoe 5.3 and used PYB and a supertech oil filter.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
If it has MDS or whatever GM calls it use 5W-30. I had an 08 Tahoe 5.3 and used PYB and a supertech oil filter.

AFM, active fuel management. If it indeed does have this I would stick to what is recommended (5w30).

It's a new body style and I have been looking into mobil 1 or the mobil 1 high mileage...any thoughts on these or should I just stick with a dino oil like mobil or some other brand...?

Thanks for the posts!

-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back