2007 Focus air filter Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Its more like using UOA to extend your OCI. Except it was built into your car for free.

Sorry, BITOG isn't on your change early side on this one!

If you would have seen the handful of dirt and leaves that came from the old air box you might have a differant opinion. That's the problem and engineer flaw with sealing up an air box. You can't inspect the darn thing. I guess that's just one reason Ford droped this idea and went back to a conviential air filter. Also 7 years and 123K on one air filter out performs most everyone else here at BITOG.

As long as its on the dirty side, what does it matter?

Thanks for the pics... Don't worry at least 1 person here understands 100% why you changed it. Having a lifetime air filter would drive me nuts too.

And to be honest I'm not impressed either, a box stuffed with foam? While it does seem to have large holding capacity the lack of surface area because of the first flat foam is disappointing.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Thanks for the pics... Don't worry at least 1 person here understands 100% why you changed it. Having a lifetime air filter would drive me nuts too.

And to be honest I'm not impressed either, a box stuffed with foam? While it does seem to have large holding capacity the lack of surface area because of the first flat foam is disappointing.

What lack of surface area are you talking about? One layer of that foam has a larger surface area than any paper filter because the foam cells expend over the whole thickness of that foam. It goes far beyond the first flat surface.
Also notice how the later layers are pretty much clean. This tells me that this filter had a lot more life left in it and that the restriction gauge was accurate.
There was no reason whatsoever to change this filter aside from satisfying tig's OCD.

its a multilayer filter each layer of foam filters out progressively smaller particles.

A handful of dirt on the upstream side means nothing, unless it is covering so much of the filter that it blocks air flow.

How has your fuel economy been affected?

JOD,
As I already mentioned, there was a handfull of dirt that came out of the old box. If I had known that was there I would have changed it out long ago. Just the thought of all that stuff in the air intake box makes my Auto Maintenance OCD click in.

How much of that dirt was on the intake side of the filter? I'm going to make a guess there was none. They use a multi-stage design for a reason.

While I know you're not a big fan of UOA's, they're a reasonable tool if you want to check your oil to see how much contamination getting through the air box, and the restriction gauge tells you how much if flow is impeded.

Sorry, there was no reason to change it--and changing it certainly isn't going to provide any benefit outside of the "feel good" benefit. The engineers sometime do design stuff that works, and this air box is one of those times. I wish my car had one!

Tig, this thread makes me want to install one of the oem lifetime filters on my vehicles, they look like they are a much better idea than paper filters.

Some gorilla tape, a dremel and enough space should do the trick?

Originally Posted By: JOD
JOD,
As I already mentioned, there was a handfull of dirt that came out of the old box. If I had known that was there I would have changed it out long ago. Just the thought of all that stuff in the air intake box makes my Auto Maintenance OCD click in.

How much of that dirt was on the intake side of the filter? I'm going to make a guess there was none. They use a multi-stage design for a reason.

While I know you're not a big fan of UOA's, they're a reasonable tool if you want to check your oil to see how much contamination getting through the air box, and the restriction gauge tells you how much if flow is impeded.

Sorry, there was no reason to change it--and changing it certainly isn't going to provide any benefit outside of the "feel good" benefit. The engineers sometime do design stuff that works, and this air box is one of those times. I wish my car had one!

You wish your car had a filter box that can't be opened to inspect the contents and filter element? Thankfully Ford dropped this idea after a couple of years.

I do think UOAs are for the most part a waste of $, I have said many times here, that the only reason I would do a UOA is for oil contamination. I actually thought about doing a UOA for silicon because of this type of filter, but decided to apply th $35 toward the cost of the Dorman filter box.

I'm not against this type of filter box, just the fact it's so difficult to access and can't be inspected. There is where the design flaw needed to be corrected..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Tig, this thread makes me want to install one of the oem lifetime filters on my vehicles, they look like they are a much better idea than paper filters.

Some gorilla tape, a dremel and enough space should do the trick?

Ive wanted to put in a Donaldson Powercore in my car basically since I learned about them. But they are really big for air flow specified; this contributes to their capacity and would make it almost lifetime in a passenger vehicle. I could do it if I could mount it upside down sticking down into the bumper, but they are not setup for that configuration.

You wish your car had a filter box that can't be opened to inspect the contents and filter element?

Yes. I can't really pull my pistons or bearings out to inspect them, either (without taking apart the engine). That fact doesn't really bother me.

Inspecting an air filter doesn't really tell you much even with a conventional filter. Eye ball restriction gauges are notoriously inaccurate! With a sealed box like this, it's completely unnecessary. You can inspect what actually matters (restriction) just by looking at the restriction gauge-and if you're really concerned you could do a UOA to check the silicone levels.

I'm not against this type of filter box, just the fact it's so difficult to access and can't be inspected. There is where the design flaw needed to be corrected..

I think you're missing the whole point of this sort of filter. "Opening an air box to inspect it" does nothing except let dirt into the engine, particularly with this sort of filter. That's one of the main advantages to sealing up the whole thing.

What is it that you actually want to inspect?

I like that they can't be inspected which means no one can open it and mess with it if I'm having other work done. Think about those who have their oil changed at iffy lube, they open the air box and loosen up dirt and decompress the seal every 3-5k. Even if you don't need an air filter they want to monkey under your hood looking for work.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
That's the $400 PZEV filter?

I have justa air box on mine. Filters are still pretty expensive.

I think the 2007 was the last year for this type of filter. After that Ford went back to a standard type replaceable filter.

Actually my 2009 Ford Focus is a sealed air filter. No replacement needed in lifetime of vehicle (apparently).

The company I own has four Ford Focus cars ranging from 05-07 models with millage from 110,000 - 250,000 and we have not replaced any of the lifetime air box units. Every car has proven exceptionally reliable only one lost an auto trans and it's possible it was the fault of the driver (service guys are hard on cars that are not there's) anyway we have our own auto service guy who works for a local Ford dealer and he says don't worry about the air box he changes the oil for us with Formula Shell Dino 5w30 every 6,000 miles and they run great.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
It was in the Fusion for a while too. According to visteon, one advantage is that the automaker can put the filter box in an unaccessible area if they want too for packaging reasons...
Considering I've maybe spent $40 in filters for the Tracker, lifetime, I would rather see a smaller paper filter that needs replacing more often.

I've only got 50k miles on the Focus so I'm worrying about it yet, maybe in a few years I should start looking at the wreckers for a dorman setup.

The fusion hybrids are still rocking the lifetime filters.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Miller88
That's the $400 PZEV filter?

I have justa air box on mine. Filters are still pretty expensive.

I think the 2007 was the last year for this type of filter. After that Ford went back to a standard type replaceable filter.

Actually my 2009 Ford Focus is a sealed air filter. No replacement needed in lifetime of vehicle (apparently).

The Dorman I bought was for 2005-2005 Focus. I checked AZ and they only show a replaceable filter, not a lifetime one for the 2009 Focus.

You wish your car had a filter box that can't be opened to inspect the contents and filter element?

Yes. I can't really pull my pistons or bearings out to inspect them, either (without taking apart the engine). That fact doesn't really bother me.

Inspecting an air filter doesn't really tell you much even with a conventional filter. Eye ball restriction gauges are notoriously inaccurate! With a sealed box like this, it's completely unnecessary. You can inspect what actually matters (restriction) just by looking at the restriction gauge-and if you're really concerned you could do a UOA to check the silicone levels.

I think you're missing the whole point of this sort of filter. "Opening an air box to inspect it" does nothing except let dirt into the engine, particularly with this sort of filter. That's one of the main advantages to sealing up the whole thing.

What is it that you actually want to inspect?

What do I want to inspect? Uh, the air filter.

Sure, but what is it that you're actually looking for when you "inspect" it?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1887515

Look at the photo posted by Widmnan and the description of its restriction. Sorry, but visual inspection of an air filter doesn't tell you anything--particularly with a multiple stage foam filter. The only thing that can really tell you anything are the rubber seals--but of course your old air filter didn't even have those? So, there's nothing to inspect.

If you wanted to inspect something, inspect the restriction gauge and the condition of the oil; anything else is just hand waving.

Look at the photo posted by Widmnan and the description of its restriction. Sorry, but visual inspection of an air filter doesn't tell you anything--particularly with a multiple stage foam filter. The only thing that can really tell you anything are the rubber seals--but of course your old air filter didn't even have those? So, there's nothing to inspect.

If you wanted to inspect something, inspect the restriction gauge and the condition of the oil; anything else is just hand waving.

I posted these pics because several ask me to. This was not for your pleasure.

I posted these pics because several ask me to. This was not for your pleasure.

You posted on the interwebs; therefore, you post at the pleasure of the world. Elsewise, PM it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back