2006 Yukon XL Denali

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to think the transmission issues are a bit overblown on internet sites. I just ran into a salesman with an 02 Yukon with over 400k on it.... yes, the original transmission is still functioning just fine. My 2 mechanics do NOTHING that they should do on their personal vehicles, and both are over 200k (with the other at 320k).

It is a [censored] shoot, just like every other transmission out there.

Pulling a utility trailer or a boat 2x a season, is not going to stress the transmission.

Originally Posted By: mjk
I tend to think the transmission issues are a bit overblown on internet sites. I just ran into a salesman with an 02 Yukon with over 400k on it.... yes, the original transmission is still functioning just fine. My 2 mechanics do NOTHING that they should do on their personal vehicles, and both are over 200k (with the other at 320k).

It is a [censored] shoot, just like every other transmission out there.

Pulling a utility trailer or a boat 2x a season, is not going to stress the transmission.

I build transmissions for a living, The average life for a 4L60E is 150,000-200,000 miles, Throw it behind a 6.0L....Average life gets shorter. Sure I have seen a few go over 300,000....But not the norm at all.

Getting 400K out of one is very impressive! Either he is mistaken on the actual miles without a rebuild or most of those miles are easy highway miles. Even then the direct coupling of the converter on the highway works away the Stator Support Splines.
Another issue is the way this unit loads the Stator Support Bushing & Sun-Gear Bushing, These get worn....Then the Sun-Shell can no longer run "True" & wallers the splines & they strip, They used to break before GM made the sun-shell out of softer steel.

The 3-4 Clutches have a finite life, They can only cycle on & off so many times, Though full throttle 3-2/4-2 downshifts are the hardest on this clutch.

This unit which is based on a 700R4 was designed in the late 1970's with 150hp MAX engines in mind, If you told those engineers then that this unit had to withstand twice that in a truck that weighs more than a 3/4 ton at the time....They would have started over....

I think you could get a better deal on a simpler version of this platform, and maybe avoid some headaches. Personally, I'd rather not have Autoride. Arnott makes kits to convert to conventional shocks and bypass the electronics, but for $12K you could get a really nice truck that never had it anyway. The basic platform is good, I'd just look for a more basic version.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I think you could get a better deal on a simpler version of this platform, and maybe avoid some headaches. Personally, I'd rather not have Autoride. Arnott makes kits to convert to conventional shocks and bypass the electronics, but for $12K you could get a really nice truck that never had it anyway. The basic platform is good, I'd just look for a more basic version.

Funny you mention this because on my 2002 Envoy that I sold a few years ago, IT had the "load leveling suspension" from the factory and I had to replace the compressor 3 times (myself, thankfully because the dealer wanted an arm and a leg!) and the air springs once. It was a very easy job and by the 2nd time replacing the compressor, I had it down pretty good, lol.

So really, the autoride/load-level suspension doesnt intimidate me. Which is good, because when I test drove it, the "SERVICE SUSPENSION" message flashed in the display. The compressor was running, was quiet... but seemed to run a long time. I wonder if it just was sagging from sitting on the car lot, in the cold (30's here in Mi.) and the battery was pretty low when I cold-started the truck.

Should be tons of info on auto ride... sounds like you got a good sense for it... transmission could probably need basic service... not a concern... good price... all depends on rust... check rear bumper and hitch... can be replaced cheap... wheel bearings probably due...
lotta add ons can make this SUV amazing... you could have a real good time with this... I would start with RP oil change... some led lights... a rack that actually will carry stuff. I like BMF novacane wheels... some sweet rubber. A painted curt hitch... new trailer light hook up. PINSTRIPES!!!

The front diff likes to chew bearings pretty regularly
I know because I used to work on them as a dealer tech
Also I am not fond of the AWD
I think it crummy as compared to real 4wd it is not the same at all
If you get into some Harry junk you won't be going anywhere
My vote is Yukon xl non Denali
Denali package creature comforts are a pain and expensive to fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back