2006 Volvo V70 CEL with Code P0420

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bough a sensor spacer but didn't install it yet. The code P0420 didn't come back after I used 1 bottle Techron 3 weeks ago. If it comes back I will install the spacer, if the car fails smog test then catalytic converter for California will be needed, it can be expensive.

If you need a cat look at the Walker Cal cat and the Eastern Cal cat. They have the CARB ID on them and are approved.
I started using the Walker Cal cat and they have been good with a decent guarantee at less than half the price of OE.

The thing to keeping the new cat in good condition is to repair the problem the killed the original one in the first place.

He also needs to look at the data to figure out how off it is to know if the efficiency has gone down way too low or if it is on the borderline and the threshold is aggressive. He needs a decent enough scanner for that.

Did I mention that EPA mandates very generous warranty on catalytic converter? You might still be within that, so it does not hurt to look in to it. At least find out if there is a TSB where Volvo tweaks the threshold for P0420.

Trav, thanks for your suggestion of the Walker Catalytic Converter. If I need to replace the Cat I will look for it.

Vikas,
The problem is high-end scanner is available at Volvo dealers to analyze the efficiency of the Cat, I may have to do ittake Volvo to a dealer if the spacer doesn't fix the problem. So far the Chevron Techron seems to do well, no CEL after 3 weeks.

The car is more than 160k miles, I think Federal warranty is 100k miles/10 years whichever is first, California I think is 120k miles/10 years.

Thanks for "TSB where Volvo tweaks the threshold for P0420."

If you don't have the code in 3 weeks after the Techron, you can just forget about it for a while. If it comes back, then worry.

Also even the $5 Torq app and generic BT ELM adapter is enough to plot the both O2 graphs which can be analyzed to find how bad the converter is.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If you don't have the code in 3 weeks after the Techron, you can just forget about it for a while. If it comes back, then worry.

Also even the $5 Torq app and generic BT ELM adapter is enough to plot the both O2 graphs which can be analyzed to find how bad the converter is.

Thanks Vikas,

That is what I am doing, I will not touch the sensor until the code came back, even I already have the spacer I will not install it for afraid I may bread the sensor removing/reinstall it, for now I just leave good enough alone.

I will find out more about the "Torq app and generic BT ELM adapter". Are they usable with a laptop or I need a smart phone ? I don't have smart phone, I do have dumb phone only(I am behind the technology by about a generation) and probably will not upgrade to smart phone for whole family by end of the year.

Torque application only runs on Android platform (phone or tablet). There ware applications available for PC but I wouldn't touch it as many of them are virus laden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back