2006 Honda Accord 2.4l - oil change for long trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

2006 Honda Accord 2.4l
82,000 mi

I have changed the oil once in the year that I've owned the car. That change was also prior to my last long drive, which was in May. Current oil change is PYB 5w-20 with a Bosch filter. 5000 miles on that change, and the OLM is at 20%. The PYB was actually purchased the last time I owned an Accord, which is going on 7 years ago now.

Typically, my driving would probably be considered "severe service", as my daily commute to work is only about a mile and a half each way. Mixed in there are the occasional 300 mile trip to New York or elsewhere.

In addition to all that, I typically make 2 long trips a year - a 12 hour, 750 mile drive out to Kentucky to visit my sister. It usually ends up being around 1600 miles total with other misc driving while there.

This year, I'll be making the trip over Thanksgiving, and we'll be making an additional side trip down into Georgia from Kentucky. In the course of 8 days, I'll be putting around 2500 miles on the car. I'm trying to decide what the best oil for this OCI would be.

I still have 4.5 quarts of the PYB 5w-20 to use. I also have 7 quarts of older Halvoline 5w-20, 1 quart of which is from 2004 (the oldest). I bought that out when I was working at Autozone and they were clearing the shelves of it for $1/qt.

The other option is to go with something completely different, and leave my old oil on the shelf. I would like to take into consideration the trip, my normal driving, and the fact that the temperature will be dropping soon.

Also, it seems like the engine is pretty noisy with the PYB in it. Not sure if that's due to the age of the oil, typical of the engine, or the results of previous abuse. I might pull a sample of this oil and ship it off to Blackstone. I have a kit I got years ago for a previous vehicle, that I never ended up using.

So, what are your thoughts, fine BITOGers? If I shouldn't be concerned with the old dino oil, I'll keep on using it until it's gone!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nadams
If I shouldn't be concerned with the old dino oil, I'll keep on using it until it's gone!

You shouldn't be concerned with the old dino oil, just shake the oil bottle well before pouring it into your engine.

As long as it meets the specs for that engine you'll be fine.

I know a guy (my old man, actually) that's working off a 10 year old stash. As long as the stuff isn't stored in an icebox it'll be fine.

Last edited:
1.5mile per trip? That's too short for the engine to sufficiently warm up. I'd be worried about condensation (moisture), and fuel dilution due to frequent short trips (insufficient warm up).

I don't know about you but are there any alternatives besides driving 1.5miles one way to work?

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
1.5mile per trip? That's too short for the engine to sufficiently warm up. I'd be worried about condensation (moisture), and fuel dilution due to frequent short trips (insufficient warm up).

I don't know about you but are there any alternatives besides driving 1.5miles one way to work?

Q.

You are, of course, correct. The alternatives are walking or biking. In the winter, neither are very attractive when you're wearing office attire. As far as driving alternatives... I could turn it into a much longer trip by driving in the opposite direction in the morning, but that seems like it would just be a waste of gas.

I typically try to get the car on the interstate, or on a longer surface road trip, once a week.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Also, it seems like the engine is pretty noisy with the PYB in it. Not sure if that's due to the age of the oil, typical of the engine, or the results of previous abuse.

We have a 2008 CR-V, with a 2.4L I-4 that is extremely similar to what's in your Accord. It's the same basic engine, but there are very minor tweaks here and there. Anyway, I have found that the engine in our CR-V is very sensitive to oil in the sense that different oils have a dramatic effect on general engine noise. I have PYB 5W-20 in ours currently, and it's "okay" in terms of noise. It's not the loudest oil I've run, but it's also not the quietest oil I've run.

These Honda K24 engines will run practically forever on nearly anything you pour in, and nearly ANY API SN oil available for purchase is more than enough for this engine. So I personally judge an oil as "good" or "bad" for this engine by the noise it makes. The engine doesn't care what it has in it, but my ears do. Mobil 1 0W-20 is by a good margin the quietest oil I've used in it, and it's the oil I will go back to this weekend when I change it.

Mobil 1 is more expensive than conventional (obviously), but I'm okay with paying the extra seven bucks to not listen to the racket. The purr it makes with M1 0W-20 is certainly worth seven bucks to me. In fact, I was so surprised by and pleased with it, I started a thread years ago on it:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2473874

So, what are your thoughts, fine BITOGers? If I shouldn't be concerned with the old dino oil, I'll keep on using it until it's gone!

One more reason I like 0W-20 in your case is because of your relatively cool climate (especially in the winter, in PA) and your short trips. No, 0W-20 is certainly not "required", but you stand to benefit from an oil that doesn't thicken as much as it cools, and Honda does allow for the use of 0W-20 in these engines.

Change the oil/filter now that you're at 5K miles on the OCI.

I'd use up your old stash of SL/GF-3 oils now. Change the current PYB OCI and use the next stash of PYB and keep with...at or around the 5K mile OCI by using up the stash of Havoline.

Sure, the long hiwy trip will burnoff the moisture that your 1.5 miles to work has put in your engine each day but, you don't know the condition of the current oil and you're not traveling for another month & 1/2.

My opinion! Change the oil now and don't concern yourself with a UOA! I'd be nice(curious) to know the UOA figures but, that's money better spent elsewhere(like on a oil/filter change).

Use the old Havoline, it has lots of Moly and my 2005 Accord loved it. It is really good oil. Just shake it up good turned upside down before you start your oil change.

My 2010 Accord with K24 engine was "clappy" with Valvoline bulk from dealer. Valve train or piston slap...not sure. I recently purchased this car and did my first oil change several months ago.

I ran ran 2.8 quarts of M1 0w20 AFE and 1.4 quarts of M1's Golden Child (aka, 0w40). The car loves it.

Your type of driving would really benefit from a synthetic oil 0w20 with high VI.
The high vi will give you much better start up protection and maximize your mpg especially with short tripping.
As an example; I've recently gone from the high vi, high moly Mazda 0w20 that was giving me always 600km on a tank short tripping before the gas light came on, to honda genuine conventional 5w20 giving me 500-510km when the gas light luminates. So needless to say I'm going back to Mazda or TGMO.
TGMO 0w20 is very cheap and readily available that will perform in the same regard as the Mazda oil.

The OP is trying to get advice on using his old stash. Either of the conventionals he has in his stash, is good for 5K if he takes a 15 mile drive once a week.

Change it before your trip. Use up the old oil in whichever order you like at 5k intervals. Once that's gone, I'd use a name brand synthetic 0w20 like M1, PP, or SynPower and change when the maintenance minder tells you. Very simple. That Honda will run a very long time!!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will power through my old stash as I can. I think the PYB will get used up for this trip... I may do a short change at 3000-3500 miles after this trip to be able to dump the Halvoline in.

It is very interesting to read other people experiencing the same noisy engine characteristics with the PYB. one I see how the Halvoline runs, I will move to a 0w-20 synth, given my driving styles.

Oh is that what it was?
33.gif

Changed it today... whoever designed the engine to have a horizontal oil filter, positioned strategically above the suspension components, should be shot. Other than that, everything went well, and it seems like the engine is a little quieter with a fresh fill of the old PYB. I may need to top it off with a bit of the Halvoline, because i only had 4.5 qts of the PYB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back